ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1999 Grace Slick
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Cream reunited... Return to archive
November 13th, 2004 02:59 PM
Angiegirl Clapton roept Cream weer bij elkaar

LONDEN - Eric Clapton is eruit. Er komt toch een reünie van zijn ouwe band Cream, die 36 jaar geleden ophield te bestaan op het hoogtepunt van de roem. In twee jaar tijd verkochten Clapton (gitaar), Ginger Baker (drums) en Jack Bruce (bas) ruim 35 miljoen platen. Dat heeft The Daily Telegraph zaterdag gemeld.

Foto: AP

Cream maakte voor die tijd vernieuwende muziek, een fusie van hardrock, blues en jazz. Al snel boterde het niet meer tussen de bandleden. Jaren later zei Clapton, voor de zoveelste keer gevraagd naar een mogelijke reünie: "Alsjeblieft niet, dat lijkt me doodeng".

Alleen in 1993 kwamen de drie nog muzikaal bijeen, en speelden in Los Angeles White Room, Crossroads en Sunshine of Your Love. Clapton vertelde een biograaf later dat Cream tenonder ging omdat Baker en Bruce constant ruzie maakten.

Volgens de krant melden bronnen dichtbij het trio dat het vermoedelijk om twee of iets meer optredens gaat, ergens volgend voorjaar. Clapton is nu 59 jaar, Bruce 61 en Baker 65 jaar.

----------
Translation (sort of):

Clapton calls Cream to reunite

LONDON - Eric Clapton made his decision. There really is going to be a reunion of his old band Cream, that ceased to exist 36 years ago on the high point of the fame. In two years time Clapton (guitar), Ginger Baker (drums) and Jack Bruce (bass) sold more than 35 million records. That has reported The Daily Telegraph this Saturday.

Cream made -for that time- renewing music, a merger of hardrock, blues and jazz. But it no longer clicked between the band members. Years later on said Clapton, asked about a possible reunion: "Please not, that scares me".

Only in 1993 the three came yet musically together, and in Los Angeles they played White Room, Crossroads and Sunshine or Your Love. Clapton told a biographer later on that Cream broke up because Baker and Bruce constant quarrel made.

According to the paper, sources report nearby the trio, that it presumably will be two or some more shows, somewhere next spring. Clapton is now 59 year, Bruce 61 and Baker 65 year.

[Edited by Angiegirl]
November 13th, 2004 03:35 PM
charlotte Bedankt voor de post mijn mooie Nederlandse schoonheid.
November 13th, 2004 08:50 PM
Lazy Bones Heineken!
November 13th, 2004 09:11 PM
Angiegirl
November 14th, 2004 07:44 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Clapton plans Cream's rise to the top again
By Hugh Davies
(Filed: 13/11/2004)

Eric Clapton has astounded the music world by finally agreeing to reform Cream, rock's first supergroup, 36 years after they split up at the height of their worldwide fame.

Back then Clapton was declared a "guitar God", Ginger Baker was the epitome of the wild-eyed rock drummer and Jack Bruce was the pioneer of a raw, biting tone for the electric bass.

Ginger Baker and Eric Clapton play in Los Angeles
Over two years they sold more than 35 million records, producing a new form of "heavy" music that fused hard rock, blues and jazz. But they were unable to survive their ego-powered celebrity.

There was such venom at the end that, years later, Clapton said the thought of a reunion "scares the living daylights out of me".

John Mayall, the veteran leader of the Bluesbreakers, the British band from which Clapton defected to create Cream in 1966, said yesterday: "I'm amazed. But Eric is always doing something unexpected. He moves in so many directions, always out front with his music."

Sources close to the musicians said that reunion plans were under way, with Clapton, 59, Bruce, 61, and Baker, 65, talking of "probably two gigs, or maybe more" at the Royal Albert Hall in May, although that venue, where Clapton staged his traditional blues stint this spring, has yet to be booked.

The hall was where Cream last performed in Britain in November 1968 after shows in America that were earning the trio $60,000 a night.

Cream have played together only once since, with searing versions of White Room, Crossroads and Sunshine of Your Love, at the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame in Los Angeles in 1993.

Clapton later told the rock writer Chris Welch, who was working on a biography of Cream: "There was a constant battle between Ginger and Jack. They loved each other's playing, but couldn't stand the sight of each other.

"I was the mediator and I was getting tired of that. Then when Rolling Stone called me the 'master of the blues cliché' that just about knocked me cold. That's when I decided to leave Cream."

Welch said yesterday: "I am amazed they are getting back together. They were musicians of such intensity, with Eric usually the calm one.

"They were a juggernaut, streets ahead of everyone else. I remember, as a Melody Maker journalist, Ginger ringing me up with the news that they were forming Cream. Our front page had already gone to press, so the news appeared on an inside page.

"I didn't discover until 30 years later that Ginger was hopping mad that it had been reported inside.

"There was a big fuss as each had omitted to tell their current bands they were leaving. Manfred Mann was angry at Jack for suddenly quitting - and John Mayall was not exactly thrilled by Eric's departure.

"I was at their first rehearsal, in a school hall in north-west London in July 1966, in front of a troop of brownies and a caretaker.

"Ginger had a small drum kit. Eric had a tiny amplifier. They performed three numbers: a very slow blues, a foot-stomping jug band number and a Robert Johnson song. Then we went to a transport cafe to do an interview.

"Once they started performing, they became very significant, very quickly. A problem was that they were on the road, night after night, month after month. It was a raw and exciting sound. But sustaining that kind of rock power every night was draining.

"I was genuinely shocked that they broke up. They could have done a lot more."

Rehearsals for the reunion, with new material, are expected to begin early in the new year.

Mayall, visiting London from his home in Los Angeles, said: "I can't imagine Cream's reappearance will be a marathon again, as Eric is now very much a family man.

"It's probably Eric on one of his nostalgia trips, as Jack and Ginger are not exactly headline names of this generation. It's likely to be for a charity, or the music, not the money."

Mayall hired both Clapton, and, at an earlier stage, Bruce for the Bluesbreakers. "Eric was an integral part of the band, and the first I heard that he was leaving was reading about it in Melody Maker," he said. "The trio had been quietly playing together, away from the limelight, in the rock underworld.

"Eric was a huge drawing power for my band, but I was not altogether surprised when he left. He was always a very restless soul.

"A reunion of Cream would be a classic show. The band was so influential. They helped pave the way for me in America. The Beatles were first. The Rolling Stones were next. Then there was Cream. I had my first US tour in 1968, and moved there a year later."

Cream members are staying silent at the moment about their plans. A spokesman for Clapton said that he had no comment. Bruce was on holiday, and there was no reply from Baker's farm in South Africa, where he raises polo ponies.

Baker has revealed that there was a point "when I totally went broke" in the 1970s. "I went to Eric and proposed a reunion. He said he didn't want to do it just because I was broke. This really hurt me at the time, but it was also absolutely true. That is not a reason to do something."
November 14th, 2004 08:05 AM
F505 What to aspect from this? The blues Clapton is playing for years now is that of a notary's clerc who's complaining that his coffee is cold.
November 14th, 2004 03:20 PM
kath i can hardly wait for this reunion show...i really wanna see them at albert hall...that would be amazing!