ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1999 Grace Slick
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Live Licks Return to archive
November 12th, 2004 05:54 AM
jsz1002 Does anybody know if the non-edited cover version is copy protected like the edited version?
November 12th, 2004 05:55 AM
FotiniD Why wouldn't it?
November 12th, 2004 06:40 AM
egon yes but it doesn't mean shit, cos you can copy it (to cd or PC. (I've tried)

I think that this copy control means you can't make a copy of a copy. (though haven't tried that yet)
November 12th, 2004 12:23 PM
jsz1002 The reason I ask is because some copy protected cds will not play in a car cd player or on a pc. I guess it depends on the cd player though.
November 12th, 2004 06:59 PM
Soldatti My CD works fine, I did copies for friends.
November 13th, 2004 11:43 AM
egon there is a warning on the cd saying it might not play in the car, and it doesn't work in mine (then again my player is from 1864)
November 13th, 2004 07:16 PM
Soldatti
quote:
egon wrote:
(then again my player is from 1864)

LOL
November 13th, 2004 09:50 PM
glencar
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

LOL

LOL!
November 14th, 2004 01:11 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
egon wrote:
I think that this copy control means you can't make a copy of a copy. (though haven't tried that yet)

No, that's not what the copy control means on this album. I posted explanations on an older thread:

http://novogate.com/board/968/204692-2.html

Here it is again:

"The audio tracks for the songs occupy only about 500 Mb (or 1 hour) of disc space and the remaining 250 Mb are taken up by files for the same songs but encoded in a mp3-like format with auto-play feature for PC and Mac. So when you play the CD on your computer CD drive, you actually have inferior quality sound than on the standalone player and you can't transfer the files on a portable mp3 player. You don't have access to audio tracks, except if you use some grabbing software (EAC for instance, which is free). BUT you easily can do a disc-to-disc copy. And once you've grabbed the audio tracks, you can convert them to mp3...
So I don't see much security here, except that only the computer illiterate will be stopped from transfering files. If you know even a little, you can crack that supposed copy protection!
And meanwhile, there's less space on the disc for music itself. Not smart."

And it also mean that you can't play the audio tracks on the computer CD drive, only the low quality encoded files. Anybody can still do a disc-to-disc copy of Live Licks, any computer savvy 15 year old can convert its tracks to mp3 and put it online, "protection" or not, but the discs only have 66% of their normal capacity used. Stupid record industry!
November 14th, 2004 04:45 PM
montana wow MW, i didnt know any of that...but what i did know was that you can make copies of course. the same as Alfie soundtrack. it was said to have a copy protection but in fact you can extract tracks with NERO...so it's not such a protection. And another surprising thing about that less space in the disc...in Alfie cd, when you play the cd in your computer, it runs in a self-player. So if you play it for the first time you have to 'install' that player...so weird...it didnt run with winamp or wmp... at least that happen with the european version, because i also have the american one and that one run normally with winamp...

that's all

lour 8)
November 14th, 2004 04:52 PM
M.O.W.A.T. The warning on Live Licks should read like this:

"Certain CD players will cause some songs to be horribly edited. To rectify this, please go to RollingStones.com and buy the official Rolling Stones CD player, yours for only..."