ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1999 Grace Slick
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Favorite Drug Song? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
November 12th, 2004 05:25 PM
Cant Catch Me Hey Ten Thousand Motels,

It's blasphemous to mention the Eagles here, or even think about them for a millisecond while you're posting here.

And if anybody mentions Jimmy Buffet in this thread a small tactical nuclear missile will immediately strike and vaporize that person and anybody else within a quarter mile, wherever in the world they may be.

And, Nasty, my meeting with Bo Diddley was not as auspicious as yours.

Regards,

CCM
November 12th, 2004 05:31 PM
gypsy I thought "Smuggler's Blues" was a Glenn Frey song?
But then again, it doesn't really matter now, does it?
November 12th, 2004 05:54 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Cant Catch Me wrote:
Hey Ten Thousand Motels,

It's blasphemous to mention the Eagles here, or even think about them for a millisecond while you're posting here.

Oh I know. But boring is a far cry from blasphemous. I can't find it in myself to get passionate about the Eagles one way or the other.
November 12th, 2004 06:26 PM
kath what is the big deal about the eagles anyway? they were a damn good band...
November 12th, 2004 07:03 PM
Cant Catch Me Ten Thousand Motels is right about the Eagles, they're boring. Insipid, banal, uninspired, and that's their problem. Their music is just schlock based on imaginary ideas about the American West in modern times, with pickup trucks, Tequila Sunrises and all that shit, plus piles and piles of cocaine. It's pablum for the somnambulant masses to provide a top-40 FM radio sountrack for their dreary lives. Yeehaw, ride 'em cowboy!

Now, on the other hand, the James Gang was a band with some good songs and a lot of promise that didn't last, with some members ending up in the Eagles.
November 12th, 2004 07:32 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Cant Catch Me wrote:
American West in modern times, with pickup trucks, Tequila Sunrises and all that shit, plus piles and piles of cocaine.

you talk about that like it's a bad thing
November 12th, 2004 08:16 PM
Gazza
quote:
headshrinker wrote:
oasis - ciggarettes and alcohol

come on then, give me your abuse

I was gonna say that one, but thought id leave it to you..lol

Add in "Whats The Story Morning Glory" as well.
November 12th, 2004 08:17 PM
Cant Catch Me
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

you talk about that like it's a bad thing

I'm not the one to say it's a bad thing, even though I don't personally care for it. But my point is that it's mediocre and artificial. Do you want to live somebody else's Western fantasy instead of your own?

Interestingly, I read an article about the mixing of the Eagles' albums, which supposedly reflects the musicians' and engineers' cocaine use because coke suppresses the ability to hear certain frequencies, hence the mixing emphasized those frequencies, overcompensating for cocaine's effect on human hearing. Supposedly the effect is a kind of clean, thin and antiseptic sound, which also shows up on some of Bowie's albums, those from his Berlin period and some after that recorded in Los Angeles, I think.
November 12th, 2004 08:21 PM
Gazza
quote:
Cant Catch Me wrote:

Oh learned one, forgive me, I'm wrong, and you are more erudite than I am. Please don't stone me, then, I prefer drugs!

LOL. Cheeky bugger
November 14th, 2004 03:00 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
Cant Catch Me wrote:
Ten Thousand Motels is right about the Eagles, they're boring. Insipid, banal, uninspired, and that's their problem. Their music is just schlock based on imaginary ideas about the American West in modern times, with pickup trucks, Tequila Sunrises and all that shit, plus piles and piles of cocaine. It's pablum for the somnambulant masses to provide a top-40 FM radio sountrack for their dreary lives. Yeehaw, ride 'em cowboy!

quote:
Cant Catch Me wrote:
I'm not the one to say it's a bad thing, even though I don't personally care for it. But my point is that it's mediocre and artificial. Do you want to live somebody else's Western fantasy instead of your own?

Interestingly, I read an article about the mixing of the Eagles' albums, which supposedly reflects the musicians' and engineers' cocaine use because coke suppresses the ability to hear certain frequencies, hence the mixing emphasized those frequencies, overcompensating for cocaine's effect on human hearing. Supposedly the effect is a kind of clean, thin and antiseptic sound, which also shows up on some of Bowie's albums, those from his Berlin period and some after that recorded in Los Angeles, I think.

This is the most imbecilic crock of shit I've layed eyes on in some time. You've reached totally new heights (or lows depending on how you wanna view it) of idiocy in my book.

November 14th, 2004 03:03 AM
F505
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

This is the most imbecilic crock of shit I've layed eyes on in some time. You've reached totally new heights (or lows depending on how you wanna view it) of idiocy in my book.

Take it up with BILL PERKS
November 14th, 2004 08:09 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
gypsy wrote:
I thought "Smuggler's Blues" was a Glenn Frey song?

Yes, you're right.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
November 14th, 2004 11:37 AM
Water Dragon Good Sunday Morning Fellow Freaks!

And now for something completely different -

'If I Hadn't Been High' - Detroit Junior
'Boy, I Really Tied One On' - Janis Ian (as sung by that great junkie Capricorn Princess, Esther Phillips)
'Last Call' - Woods/Horn/Dewalt (as performed by Jr. Walker & The All Stars)
'New Amphetamine Shriek' - Peter Stampfel (The Fugs)
'Hallucination Horrors' - Tuli Kupferberg (The Fugs)
'Marijuana' - Sanders/Kupferberg/Dorough (The Fugs)

(Oh, speaking of Tim Leary, The Fugs were one of his very fave bands!)

'Doin' All Right' - Berrigan/Crabtree/Leary (The Fugs)
'Turn On/Tune In/Drop Out - Sanders/Leary/Weaver (The Fugs)
'Yes I Guess They Ought To Name A Drink After You' - John Prine (hell, JP should have an entire list in here. He's written some excellent, drink to get over it songs.)

and to bring it up to at least the '80's -

'I Ain't Gonna Piss In No Jar' - Mojo Nixon
'Gin Guzzlin' Frenzy' - Mojo Nixon

I could go on, but great googley moogley. I must be going -

Peace Out,

W.D.
November 14th, 2004 01:23 PM
gorda Well, my favorite band is the Rolling Stones, so I enjoy all their music, even the ones that glorify drugs.

But, I also enjoy:

"Easy Skanking" Bob Marley

"Let's Get High" Dr. Dre, et al.

"Purple Pills" D-12

"One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer" George Thorogough

"Clavado en un Bar" Mana

"Pacas de a Kilo" Los Tigres del Norte

P.S. Dead Flowers is about drugs? I always thought it was a song about having your heart broken.
November 14th, 2004 02:00 PM
Nasty Habits Speaking of fellow Sunday Morning freaks, what about the ever amazing Johnny Cash (Kristofferson wrote it, but Cash's version is the best) "Sunday Morning Coming Down"?

For that matter, what about Lee Hazelwood's "I Think I'm Coming Down"?

Pretty obscure, but pretty great:

The Swingin' Neckbreakers -- Live for Buzz
The Mono Men -- One Shot No Pain
Eddie Noack -- Beer Drinkin' Daddy
Arkey Blue and the Blue Cowboys -- Too Many Pills
The Oblivians -- Go Pill Popper!

Gorda: Dead Flowers isn't about drugs as an EXCLUSIVE topic but the needle and the spoon in the basement room are certainly one of its most indelible images. . .

Where the heck is "Mother's Little Helper" in this thread?!?!
[Edited by Nasty Habits]
November 14th, 2004 03:02 PM
Sir Stonesalot >Where the heck is "Mother's Little Helper" in this thread?!?! <

Or, for that matter, where's "Before They Make Me Run"???

November 14th, 2004 03:30 PM
kath
quote:
My soul belongs to the dealer! He keeps my mind as well. I've got one foot in the graveyard . . . no one cares for me!

EXCELLENT CHOICE, Kath!

they were SUCH a good band, arthur lee was fantastic. sadly, it looks like not many folks here know of that song...absolute description of smack...

and it's great to see somebody mention THE FUGS!!!

ohmygawd, i remember when their first album came out...what a night that was hearing it for the first time....

how did i live through all those years of sooo many drugs??? simply astounding...
November 14th, 2004 04:28 PM
charlotte Lou Reed- Rock and Roll Animal
Rolling Stones-Sticky Fingers and Baggers Banquet
Neil Young-Harvest
Alice Cooper-Killer
Jethro Tull-Benefit
November 14th, 2004 05:39 PM
Water Dragon [quote]kath wrote:

and it's great to see somebody mention THE FUGS!!!

ohmygawd, i remember when their first album came out...what a night that was hearing it for the first time....

Kath, I think that the pleasure was all mine, little lady! BTW, Tuli still performs, at least as late as the late '90's & at the time, he was in his late '70's! (To think some of the folks here slag Bill for being in his late 60's...you are only as young as you feel, or what you feel...Voodoo said that:=)

Just another bozo...W.D.

November 14th, 2004 06:21 PM
kath i was at my brother's house in davis, california. i was visiting him the summer between my junior/senior year of high school, so it must be 1966. anyway, my brother and his significant other got me high and turned me on to the fugs all in the same night.

November 14th, 2004 06:21 PM
Nasty Habits Well if you're going to talk Fugs, let's remember that amazing classic from their first album: "I Couldn't Get High." And speaking of the Fugs, what about the Holy Modal Rounders' "Euphoria", or the Unholy Modal Rounders' "Hoodoo Bash"? Or Pete Stampfel & Steve Weber's cover of "Junker's Blues"?

Junco Partner by any number of performers fits, but James Booker's version is over the top.

November 14th, 2004 09:29 PM
Cant Catch Me
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

Hey Mongoloid:

So, what are you saying? That you like the Eagles? If you have any thoughts of your own, a different perspective maybe, you didn't communicate them. Do you have an opinion of your own on any of these topics? Any original thoughts ever?

How about Journey? You like them? Foghat? What about Foreigner? Do you like REO Speedwagon? Supertramp maybe? Kansas? How about Lover Boy? If you do, it doesn’t matter to me in the slightest, whatever gets your rocks off. I just won’t be anywhere within hearing distance, and most intelligent people won’t be either.

If you can form an opinion of your own feel free to offer something to the discussion by expressing it. I’d be curious to see your ranking of my top 10 all-time lowest lows, an explanation of how you scored each of them and the reasons why this one is the lowest of the lows.

Oh, and fuck you.

CCM

November 14th, 2004 09:42 PM
glencar That bit about the Eagles & their producers being coked up & unable to tell frequencies correctly is amusing. I think the Eagles solo stuff is much, much worse than their group efforts but that's a minor point.
November 14th, 2004 09:49 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
glencar wrote:
That bit about the Eagles & their producers being coked up & unable to tell frequencies correctly is amusing.

not only amusing but quite likely true as well

but then, isn't the truth the funniest joke of them all
November 14th, 2004 09:51 PM
Cant Catch Me Hey man, you can check out but you can never leave. Profound isn't it?
November 14th, 2004 09:56 PM
Snappy McJack How's 'bout that ol' POS by Huey Lewis and the News? "I Want A New Drug"?

Anyways, Afroman's "Because I Got High" is a drug song. "I was gonna go to school, but then I got high. I was gonna get a job, but then I got high.." and it keeps on going and going. Almost makes me want to break out the urinating monkey emoticons and surround them around the titles of those songs, but I don't have the enery to do it right now.

I'll leave that to Joey.
November 14th, 2004 10:47 PM
BILL PERKS ACDC-HAVE A DRINK ON ME
JOHNNY JOHNSON-TANQUERAY
November 15th, 2004 01:06 AM
Taptrick

"Somewher Down The Crazy River" by Robbie Robertson from the album Robbie Robertson. If you haven't heard this check it out. This is one spacey, trippy song. "If you think you like it now...well you're gonna love it later."
November 15th, 2004 03:50 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
Cant Catch Me wrote:

Hey Mongoloid:

So, what are you saying? That you like the Eagles? If you have any thoughts of your own, a different perspective maybe, you didn't communicate them. Do you have an opinion of your own on any of these topics? Any original thoughts ever?

How about Journey? You like them? Foghat? What about Foreigner? Do you like REO Speedwagon? Supertramp maybe? Kansas? How about Lover Boy? If you do, it doesn’t matter to me in the slightest, whatever gets your rocks off. I just won’t be anywhere within hearing distance, and most intelligent people won’t be either.

If you can form an opinion of your own feel free to offer something to the discussion by expressing it. I’d be curious to see your ranking of my top 10 all-time lowest lows, an explanation of how you scored each of them and the reasons why this one is the lowest of the lows.

Oh, and fuck you.

CCM

The Eagles!

Now you're talking!

We can't go a having a drug song appreciation thread without an ode to the most popular drug song of all time now can we,

Say it loud, Say it proud!

H O T E L C A L I F O R N I A

Here's some lyrics for ya to sing along with:

Hotel California

by the Eagles

On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair
Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air
Up ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light
My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim
I had to stop for the night
There she stood in the doorway;
I heard the mission bell
And I was thinking to myself,
'This could be Heaven or this could be Hell'
Then she lit up a candle and she showed me the way
There were voices down the corridor,
I thought I heard them say...

Welcome to the Hotel California
Such a lovely place
Such a lovely face
Plenty of room at the Hotel California
Any time of year, you can find it here

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends
She got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends
How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.
Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

So I called up the Captain,
'Please bring me my wine'
He said, 'We haven't had that spirit here since nineteen sixty nine'
And still those voices are calling from far away,
Wake you up in the middle of the night
Just to hear them say...

Welcome to the Hotel California
Such a lovely place
Such a lovely face
They livin' it up at the Hotel California
What a nice surprise, bring your alibis

Mirrors on the ceiling,
The pink champagne on ice
And she said 'We are all just prisoners here, of our own device'
And in the master's chambers,
They gathered for the feast
The stab it with their steely knives,
But they just can't kill the beast

Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the door
I had to find the passage back
To the place I was before
'Relax,' said the night man,
We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave!

WOW WHAT A SONG!!!

I can almost smell the exhaust from all the pickup trucks filled with cocaine cruising down the country backroads of my American southwest fantasy~! And all that shit!

Here's some pics for ya bud, enjoy!

November 15th, 2004 03:57 AM
Zack How about Dandelion?

"One o'clock, two o'clock three o'clock four o'clock, five, dandy lines don't care about the time."

"Bring your dandy lines to blow away."

I've always thought so, but others have said, no, it was written before the coke scene. Sounds like it to me.

"Blow away dandy lines!"

Innit?
Page: 1 2 3 4