ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Karl Lagerfeld (?) - VSD Magazine, France. Merci beaucoup Jacques!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]
Support these stations! Click and check

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist OR start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Charlie Watts Confirms Stones Tour Plans for 2002 Return to archive
11-09-01 08:07 PM
Jaxx ok gazza, i eat my words from yesterday. we should have made a bet. you would have won BIG TIME!

BBC
Friday, 9 November, 2001

Watts confirms Stones reunion

The Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts has confirmed that the band plans to reunite next year for a special 40th anniversary tour.

Watts, who is currently performing with his jazz group in New York, said: "As far as I'm concerned, it will happen. We said we would do it in June and we are gearing up to it."

Watts was speaking in his dressing room backstage at New York's famed Blue Note club where he is been entertaining fans with his jazz group.

Over the years, Watts has maintained a passionate interest in jazz alongside his career as drummer for one of the world's top rock bands.

Watts: Protective of his band

Although a celebrity in his own right, Watts, 60, has a sprightly and generous demeanour onstage constantly shunning the limelight and diverting attention to members of his group and their solo acts.

He seems proud and protective of them saying: "I am not a very virtuoso type of player. I never wanted to be. I prefer the rhythm as opposed to solo.

"And that is why I have this band to hear them play because they're all great soloists."

Influence

For this Rolling Stone drummer his jazz band has brought him deep satisfaction. Referring to his achievements with his group he says: "What I think is nice is that a lot of it is coming true, a lot of dreams for me, it is coming true."

Watts describes his jazz, which is hard to categorise, as "mainstream" or "straight-ahead".

Miles Davis: An inspiration for Watts

He has been influenced by many jazz greats including Miles Davis and Max Roach. He first got interested in jazz at age 12 and can recall buying a record by the Gerry Mulligan/Chet Baker Quintet.

He also remembers his father was an ardent fan of the jazz singer and band leader Billy Eckstine.

New York's status as a jazz mecca has waned a little over the years, but Watts says coming to perform in the city is still "like bringing coals to Newcastle".

But the drummer felt it was important to perform in New York at this time. The downtown Manhattan club scene has been hit hard by the faltering economy and attacks of 11 September.

Even the long-established Blue Note, which is located more than a mile north of ground zero, has found business is suffering.

Relaxed

Watts recalls that in the immediate aftermath of the attacks he wondered whether he should go. But then he says he spoke to Mick Jagger and a friend and concluded that he had to stand by his commitment and come.

Britney Spears: Watts says the Rolling Stones cannot compete

He argues that "if you don't do it, it's like giving in really. I'm glad we came. I'm glad I did it."

Watts is passionate about both the Rolling Stones and his jazz, but admits that he is more relaxed with his group, adding that "the world of the Rolling Stones is quite hyper".

He has no plans to retire from jazz but he does acknowledge that age is a factor when it comes to the longevity of the Rolling Stones. He wants the band to do an anniversary tour next year before it is too late.

He says: "I think it's time to do it, and I think if we leave it any longer we really will be too old to do it. I think there's a time when you have to look at this. It's a Britney Spears world. I'm not in that world."

That may be true but Watts seems to have found an extremely comfortable niche pursuing his passion for jazz while still revelling in his membership of what he believes is the best rock and roll band in the world

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board.
The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.