ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Congratulations to the proud parents, and to Rieke for having them!!

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Another bad review for Keith Return to archive
11-15-02 11:41 AM
lucasd4 Check out the review of the Stones show in the Oakland Tribune....good review for Mick....another bad review for Keith....many are finally noticing that the man just doesn't play half the time....excerpt from the review below

"Friday's concert was a fairly poor showing for the two guitarists, Ron Wood and Keith Richards, who seemed to spend at least as much mugging for the camera as they did picking the six-string guitar. "

11-15-02 12:13 PM
~AzQb

God.

Just leave him the fuck alone.

I hate these fucking "critics" and bloody "journalists". Let THEM go on stage almost every night with a guitar strapped on for two fucking hours and see how THEY do

Psuedoexperts, and that being kind.

Fuck THEM.

~
11-15-02 12:29 PM
lucasd4 [quote]~AzQb wrote:

God.

Just leave him the fuck alone.

I hate these fucking "critics" and bloody "journalists". Let THEM go on stage almost every night with a guitar strapped on for two fucking hours and see how THEY do

Psuedoexperts, and that being kind.

Fuck THEM.

Keith sets himself up for this kind of criticism....the only thing he's consistently great at anymore is running his mouth....bashing Jagger for everything, including his guitar playing, when Keith himself is just a shadow of what he once was....Mick and Charlie have been the only consistent musicians in the Stones for over 20 years now....Keith has become a poser, a mugger for the camera who can't or won't play the kind of rhythm guitar that made him a legend decades ago....I'm tired of fans who won't admit this...they know it, but they don't want to admit it to themselves, much less discuss it with fellow Stones fans...
11-15-02 12:36 PM
~AzQb

Fuck you.

I've been to a few gigs myself this tour and i heard with my own ears. No one is deceiving themselves here. i fucking heard the man myself and was impressed, proud, and wired. As far as "keeping up the momentum" we'll see, won't we?

~
11-15-02 01:16 PM
MidnightRambler I was just talking about this with a friend last night--about Keith's playing (mind you, we think Keith Richards IS the guitar--no one better than him) but on this tour his soloing has greatly suffered. Although we both agreed that all the chord-driven songs like "Jumpin' Jack.." "Start Me Up", "If You Can't Rock Me" are all fine with Keith.

He slashes away at that guitar like there's no tomorrow but when he solos during "IORR" "Rip This Joint" or "Neighbors"---you definitely notice a problem. I've played the guitar for 5 years and I've listend to Keith scrutinizingly to notice a difference.

I'm not saying Keith is "LOSING HIS TOUCH" --it's just that his playing IS suffering this tour...
[Edited by MidnightRambler]
11-15-02 01:21 PM
~AzQb

Dude,

i've played myself, for over twenty years. Just let the cat enjoy his Riffs and everyone stop being so fucking picky about the fucki ng leads. So the fuck what.

It's ONLY rocknRoll ; )

{He's always been EngineRoom, anyway, from the get-go. I really just wish people would stop overanalysing everything and just enjoy the fucking show!}

It IS only RocknRoll, ya know ; )

~!
11-15-02 01:26 PM
Maxlugar I felt your leg.
11-15-02 01:26 PM
lucasd4
quote:
~AzQb wrote:

Fuck you.

I've been to a few gigs myself this tour and i heard with my own ears. No one is deceiving themselves here. i fucking heard the man myself and was impressed, proud, and wired. As far as "keeping up the momentum" we'll see, won't we?

~

No, fuck you...watch and listen to LADIES AND GENTLEMEN....listen to any boot from the late sixties--early seventies and tell me that Keith is still as good as ever....if you still say he is, then you're deaf, blind, stupid, a liar, or all four....Jagger is at least 90% as good as he ever was live...Keith isn't half what he used to be....Chuck Leavell is the musical director now...he has to fill in the huge gaps in the musical sound when Keith is coasting--mugging for the camera, falling on his ass, screwing up guitar intros, passing shit eating grins back and forth with Ronnie, draping his hands over the microphone during his two vocal numbers, kicking his legs, flailing his arms, etc--which is at least half the time now...Keith always says he's more interested in the roll than he is the rock...it doesn't sound to me like he cares about either one anymore....the Stones are diminished, but still great....in spite of Keith....misinformed people used to say Mick Jagger and HIS Rolling Stones....now is the time for informed fans to admit it and say it...Mick is carrying this band, and of course, Charlie is always good tonight
11-15-02 01:34 PM
~AzQb

If yer not having FUN

Don't GO.

~
11-15-02 01:34 PM
lucasd4
quote:
~AzQb wrote:

Dude,

i've played myself, for over twenty years. Just let the cat enjoy his Riffs and everyone stop being so fucking picky about the fucki ng leads. So the fuck what.

It's ONLY rocknRoll ; )

{He's always been EngineRoom, anyway, from the get-go. I really just wish people would stop overanalysing everything and just enjoy the fucking show!}

It IS only RocknRoll, ya know ; )

~!

DUDE, I could care less about the soloing....that's not what the Stones are about....Keith can and does screw up solos all the time....I want to hear the best rhythm guitar in the world when I listen to the Stones....I haven't heard that consistently since the SOME GIRLS tour....Keith used to say he couldn't do what those flashy lead players like Clapton do, but they couldn't lay down that rhythm like he could either...that was true THEN
11-15-02 01:35 PM
Maxlugar I almost get the impression sometimes that Keith is purposely trying to take attention away from Mick on the stage.

It all started in '89. Keith never used to want to be the focus of attention on stage until then.

It's probably his way of sticking it to Mick after Mick tried to slap him down when he wanted to take some of resposiblity of the band back when he got clean.

I think Keith can still play. He should get down in that engine room more and let Mick do his thing up on deck.

If Keith is going to make fun of his guitar playing than Mick should start making fun of his "front man" skills.

But whatever, MSG and Giants stadium where incredible. My Queen says its only rock 'n' roll. She's right.

YOTI '03!

11-15-02 01:51 PM
Moonisup I have listened to some boots and keith plays just fine!! But you can't expect 110% every night no one can do that, keith can't also, give the man a break he's 58, there will also be times that mick will shout Tumbling dice instead of singing it! Yah know what I mean

the wooden shoe
11-15-02 01:54 PM
lucasd4
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
I almost get the impression sometimes that Keith is purposely trying to take attention away from Mick on the stage.

It all started in '89. Keith never used to want to be the focus of attention on stage until then.

It's probably his way of sticking it to Mick after Mick tried to slap him down when he wanted to take some of resposiblity of the band back when he got clean.

I think Keith can still play. He should get down in that engine room more and let Mick do his thing up on deck.

If Keith is going to make fun of his guitar playing than Mick should start making fun of his "front man" skills.

But whatever, MSG and Giants stadium where incredible. My Queen says its only rock 'n' roll. She's right.

YOTI '03!

Good points....Remember the old days when Keith hardly ever smiled?? When he didn't close his eyes and make those stupid faces like most guitarists do onstage.....when he seemed oblivious to the camera and to the people in the front rows...when he used to lay that rhythm down like no one else
11-15-02 01:55 PM
~AzQb

The man is fifty fucking Nine next month

YOU do that shit at hairs'breadth59 almost every night and THEN open yer mouth about it, ya know?

~Sick of this shit

{
11-15-02 01:57 PM
Moonisup well I just think that keith is having fun on stage and still drives the songs by his chords!!
11-15-02 02:02 PM
lucasd4
quote:
~AzQb wrote:

The man is fifty fucking Nine next month

YOU do that shit at hairs'breadth59 almost every night and THEN open yer mouth about it, ya know?

~Sick of this shit

{

Mick is also 59....that hasn't slowed HIM down....he puts ten times more work and effort into his performances than Keith does....and he doesn't run his big, fat mouth either
11-15-02 02:04 PM
T&A this is a bogus thread - you folks are missing the point entirely. It's not about Mick or about Keith or about Woody - it's about the Stones. When I listen to the Stones, I'm listening to ALL OF THEM AT ONCE - not Keith's part or Woody's part. That's what the Stones are all about...if you're trying to pick out the parts, you're missing the entire point of the band. I say THE BAND is playing their best since at least 1978. It has to do with chemistry and those elements that have to do with knowing each other and relying on each other to make the whole more than the sum of the parts - in other places, it's called "teamwork."

The Stones are the greatest ever not because Mick is the best singer or because Woody is the best or Keith is the best or Charlie is the best. There are FAR better individual musicians on the planet - but there is no better band than the Stones - and they are at the top of their game right now.

11-15-02 02:05 PM
Moonisup You are on drugs Lukas!! You could think about checking in to Betty ford
11-15-02 02:06 PM
~AzQb

Well

call me the far off fraternal twin, cuz i've heard the man. Let him have his fun, for crap's sake. You need to lighten the fuck up and listen to the Ramones, Man. You need to laugh and enJOY the music, not fucking analyse it to deadness

~It IS only Rock n Roll ~
11-15-02 02:08 PM
sasca Its strange considering Keith's bitterness towards those he considers to have let the Stones down - Brian, Bill, Mick sometimes.
11-15-02 02:36 PM
~AzQb
quote:
T&A wrote:
this is a bogus thread - you folks are missing the point entirely. It's not about Mick or about Keith or about Woody - it's about the Stones. When I listen to the Stones, I'm listening to ALL OF THEM AT ONCE - not Keith's part or Woody's part. That's what the Stones are all about...if you're trying to pick out the parts, you're missing the entire point of the band. I say THE BAND is playing their best since at least 1978. It has to do with chemistry and those elements that have to do with knowing each other and relying on each other to make the whole more than the sum of the parts - in other places, it's called "teamwork."

The Stones are the greatest ever not because Mick is the best singer or because Woody is the best or Keith is the best or Charlie is the best. There are FAR better individual musicians on the planet - but there is no better band than the Stones - and they are at the top of their game right now.

Nice post and relevent point. I hope you have Tits and an Ass though, because between you& prampushin on Gasx3, i'm fucking confused

~!RoTbFl,SpJrLSs
11-15-02 02:43 PM
Maxlugar "I say THE BAND is playing their best since at least 1978."

I would say it's the best of the Stones second half ('89 - present)

11-15-02 02:45 PM
sasca But the whole is made up of parts.
11-15-02 02:54 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
"I say THE BAND is playing their best since at least 1978."

I would say it's the best of the Stones second half ('89 - present)

Hello Maxy! You are right, this is the best tour since the "second half" started up.

I have long time been intrigued by your friend ~AzQb and was hoping you could tell me why she seems so hostile today.
11-15-02 03:04 PM
Half Nanker "I say THE BAND is playing their best since at least 1978."

MaxLugar...I completely agree. 'nuff said.
11-15-02 03:05 PM
lucasd4
quote:
sasca wrote:
But the whole is made up of parts.

EXACTLY...and if one of the parts isn't doing it's part, the whole doesn't work as well
11-15-02 03:06 PM
Maxlugar I humped her leg once.

There's a great country tune in there somewhere....

Maxypup, AWM!

11-15-02 03:12 PM
T&A EXACTLY...and if one of the parts isn't doing it's part, the whole doesn't work as well

But, that's where the point is missed. If the whole is working, then ipso-facto, the parts are working. It's the forest-for-the-trees syndrome that you can get caught up in if you're too busy listening to the parts. Keith, in my book, is playing his best - the Stones have always played off of him and Charlie, anyway - because the band is playing at its best. Keith knows exactly what he's doing - he hasn't lost anything. Now that Ronnie is back in shape, Keith doesn't have to play "all the parts" that he used to. It works MUCH BETTER when all the players are making their contibutions as they are now.

It's a matter of perspective...
11-15-02 03:52 PM
~AzQb

It's a matter of perspective...
[/quote]

No it isn't. It's True. That's why in the middle of this thread or wherever, i make reference to TheEngineRoom.

It IS true, and it's good to be reminded of it!

thanks,
~!SpJrLsS