ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Congratulations to the proud parents, and to Rieke for having them!!

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Oakland - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly... Return to archive
11-13-02 01:16 PM
gotdablouse Night and Day compared to the Saturday show, not so much because of the band, but because of the venue. I'd venture that 90% of the seats at the Arena gave a better overall experience than the 10% best at Pacbell.
My 3rd Stones arena show after the 2 in San Jose on the NS tour.

The good:
1) Venue
2) My seat (thanks StoneBeatle), although I probably had one of the better and closer stand seats on Saturday.
3) The setlist (Heart of Stone, If You Can't) although I missed Midnight Rambler, which IMHO represents the Stones at their best. They could have dropped Satisfaction AFAIC
4) Ron's solo on CYHMK. It's a bit unreal to be perfectly honest to hear him play that beautiful solo when the rest of his playing is really average and uninspired. It seemed better at Pacbell, maybe because I couldn't see what he was doing so well.
5) It goes without saying, but Mick's showmanship is mind-boggling (Keith is not bad at that either). Honestly when I see Sheryl Crow and her band play (and I really like her records), I'm left wondering what the point of the show is, they're just there playing the music with little interaction...When you see Mick and Keith, it makes much more sense!
6) Thru and Thru was really good. What a grower!
7) Lizzy Jagger is very pretty ;-) She spent most of the show standing around the B stage, about 5 meters away from Stonebeatle who had unfortunately turned off his phone so I couldn't alert him to her gracious presence. she was accompanied by a young shmuck who looked like the guy in American Pie.

The bad:
1) The absence of Midnight Rambler
2) Ron was much smarter looking on Saturday ;-) and he didn't whip out the transparent Zematis (sp?) tonight.
3) Chuck Leavell's constant noodling that just "muddies" the sound of Stones by acting as some kind of filler
4) Keith who apparently forgot where he was at the beginning of the instrumental part of CYHMK. I was really looking forward to that song, but they really struggled to get it back on track after Keith blanked out.
5) Do they really need to waste 5 minutes (one extra song) to introduce the whole band? Also can I have Blondie's job ;-)

The Ugly:
1) Chuck Leavell's "honky tonk" piano on "When the Whip Comes Down". It's bad enough that he muddies the sound at all times, but if there's one song where it's completely out of place, it's the punky WTWCD. I can't believe Mick or Keith let him do that. He must have something on them...
2) Ron's smoking. I don't care if he causes a cancer to himself, but I find it shameful that he hurts his already limited playing by having a cigarette stuck in his mouth. Mick even introduced him as "Ronnie on guitar and cigarette"...I hope he got the message. Take Keith he smokes BUT(T) between songs.

Final words:
Keep rollin' boys, like Mick once said "it can't go on for ever, obviously"...well tonight it seemed that somehow it could.
11-14-02 08:42 AM
justforyou Feedback to gdb:

The good:
5)I like an exciting show, but prefer good music and no show, than the opposite.

The bad:
1)Midnight Rambler missing ? A much too long blues about some rapist not one of my favs. I prefer Halford singing The Ripper.
4)Keith missed a beat...hey that'll only make you remember the performance better!
5)Yes introductions are great later on...

The Ugly:
2)Ron' smoking now...well he always did.
11-14-02 09:23 AM
Maxlugar "1)Midnight Rambler missing ? A much too long blues about some rapist not one of my favs. I prefer Halford singing The Ripper."

Holy shit!

I pray Sir Stonesalot does not see this.

11-14-02 09:25 AM
Moonisup Rambler, one of the best stonessongs ever,

and what the hell that ronnie smokes, I don't care, I smoke to, and give smokes hehehehheehe (kidding)

/rk
11-14-02 10:33 AM
justforyou Tensely waiting for the knight in shining armours retaliation for my desecration of his holy psalm...
11-14-02 10:13 PM
gotdablouse I think this guy/girl is a troll...who wasn't at the show, if not he would have been pained to have the whole "jam" of CYHMK messed up because of Keith's screw up. They honestly never recovered from it. I won't even respond to the MR comment which is probably the most ridiculous thing I've seen written on this board, even beats the "Ronnie: Birth of a Guitar God" thread ;-)

As for Ronnie's smoking, again I don't care if he smokes but NOT while he's on stage playing to 20,000 people who've paid an average price of $145!
I used to smoke and when you have a cigarette stuck in your mouth while doing something else, the smoke will make you cry. In fact Ronnie had to blow his nose quite a few times...
11-14-02 10:37 PM
Sir Stonesalot "1)Midnight Rambler missing ? A much too long blues about some rapist not one of my favs. I prefer Halford singing The Ripper."

This statement is so retarded that I don't even have to say anything else about it. In fact, that statement is so retarded that it's an insult to retarded people.

JFY...you missed the whole point of the song.

Egad!
11-14-02 11:35 PM
justforyou Having failed to witness the show in any way, I have no idea how good or bad they played. But so what if they mess up a section or two and cause some grief, they probably rocked on many other sections ? For me it wouldn't be the Stones if there weren't those special unpredictable moments in the music and yes those inevetible blunders too.

Also, how can a fella who has been playing guitar and smoking at the same time for decades, suddenly have a problem with it ?

11-14-02 11:43 PM
justforyou MR, never liked that tune, always skip it if possible, especially with 'You Got The Silver' right after it! Hell, they should have put 'Highway Chile' on instead of MR