ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Congratulations to the proud parents, and to Rieke for having them!!

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bands That Fizzled Out Too Quickly! Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
11-13-02 05:59 PM
stonesmik
quote:
RubyFriday wrote:
This group,the first so called super group.
1 album,no concert as far as I remember.

Blind Faith: they did at least one concert: they did an openair in Hyde Park 7 June 1969, prior to the Stones.
11-13-02 06:02 PM
RubyFriday Yes,thanks.......Nasty told me.
11-13-02 06:10 PM
sasca Tomorrow, rivals of Syd's Pink Floyd. With better record company-managing they could have been huge. An important group at the time of the Stones' arrests, 'Revolution! Revolution!'
11-13-02 08:41 PM
Honky Tonker J. Geils was a great boogie band who disbanded when they hit it big. Peter Wolf is still doing good work (sometimes with the Glimmer Twins). Also, I think Skynyrd would be doing some great work barring the tragedies.

Someone mentioned ? and the Mysterians. 96 Tears has always seemed like a natural cover for Mick to sing.
11-13-02 09:22 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
sasca wrote:
Kenickie.

Loved that version of 'I'M AN AGENT'!
11-13-02 09:31 PM
gypsymofo60 There are lots of bands who I feel split prematurely, but others would argue they split at the right time, or a bit late. Having said that, I feel that Guns n' Roses split too soon, and I think they are the prime example of a band that never fulfilled it's potential. Other bands I feel could of gone on as a force; New York Dolls, The Velvets, The Pretty Things, T REX, Mott The Hoople, The Pistols, and maybe The Jam. I also remember hearing a Canadian band when I was younger that I never heard of again called The Headpins. They were good!
11-13-02 10:11 PM
FPM C10 I didn't read the whole thread - did anyone say The Replacements?

But actually, most of these bands broke up just when they should have, or just AFTER they should have. Bands that have as much jam as the Stones aren't easy to come by.

I'll go out on a skinny limb and say the Beatles had more left to say, and if they'd done like the Stones and just taken three or four years off when they started hating each other the world might have been spared a whole raft of subpar solo albums.
11-13-02 10:57 PM
~AzQb

The Replacements...ok. The Monkey most assuredly dug TheGodfathers,no?

I'm surprised, actually, that FleabitPeanutMonkeyC10,MH12 didn't have a superior dissertation of some sort about

The Clash.

Surprised.Saddened.

~! painting that red door blacker&RoTBfL
11-13-02 11:36 PM
Sir Stonesalot Actually my Queen, I think you'll find that FPM & I agree on this....The Clash didn't break up quite soon enough. Three words for ya..."Cut The Crap".

The Pistols died right on time. How else would we have gotten PIL?

In fact, lots of great bands either died right on time, or actually went on a bit too long.

I love the 'Mats & the Pixies. But I think both bands ran to a logical conclusion. Same with the Pogues. GnR shoulda kicked the bucket after AFD.
11-13-02 11:53 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
RubyFriday wrote:

Boney M was real shit.Be aware that Frank Farian is a white german........so much black soul they had.He did every tone on the records except the girls vocals.That�sthe difference to the Stones.HEwas Boney M and the others were his employees,which he partly replaced.At Milli Vanilli he did all himself,the same shit.

The Runaways weren't a real band either, but that doesn't mean that Cherry Bomb isn't a great song. Or the Kasenetz Katz Singing Orchestral Circus - Quick Joey Small RULES. Or half the Chocolate Watchband recordings. This is nothing new, and lots of fake bullshit POP crap has been hilarious in a mind bogglingly ridiculous kind of a way. Especially if there is the tint of madness to it. Releasing an album that has Painter Man, King of the Road, Rivers of Babylon, and Heart of Gold in the midst of a bunch of sub-Adba disco pop is some kind of wonderful. Sirmoonie correctly identified Nightflight to Venus as their apogee -- I just put that on a compilation of space songs for a friend of mine! I think Boney M was a lark on Moonie's part I picked up. I'm pretty sure neither of us sit around bewailing the "premature" death of Boney M. They/he did, what, three albums? That surely is quite enough. Their loss should not be taken as seriously as the loss of Eno Roxy, the Groupies, or T-Rex.

Sir Stones: Unsurprisingly, you take my point. "Cut the Crap" is a sad last gasp. Most of the bands came to inglorious ends after the fertile creative stream ran dry. They can't all be Dylanses and Stoneses, doing vital work for decades. Five years for a band is a good freakin' run and all should be grateful when they get even that.

The Byrds should have stopped after Sweetheart of the Rodeo. Pavement should have called it quits after Wowee Zowee. The Dolls should have never worn Red Patent Leather. The Sonics should've never made that 70s album, let alone that 80s one.

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
11-14-02 12:50 AM
sirmoonie Mick Jones was gone by Cut The Crap, no? If you include him, they split way too soon.
----

Gram Parsons
Starland Vocal Band
Moby Grape
Sammy Johns
The Fat Boys
Coney Hatch
2 Live Crew (original lineup)
NWA
Soundgarden
Sly Stone, in some ways
Tim Hardin
11-14-02 12:55 AM
beer Bands That Fizzled Out Too Quickly?

Chris Jagger's musical career! Hahaha!

Seriously, did anybody ever hear his album?
11-14-02 04:05 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
The Clash didn't break up quite soon enough. Three words for ya..."Cut The Crap".

i agree ss, but "cut the crap" wasn't really the clash was it.. i don't think joe fooled any body with that...if anybody was paying attention that is

and nasty, re ginger - you're right "toad" had completely slipped my mind... i'd still suggest he had a better sense of rythym than john bonham (now there's a jb that would really drive you round the bend)

11-14-02 11:41 AM
Street Fighting Man I saw the Clash live in 1982 at Giants Stadium, NJ (with the Who + George Thorogood) - The energy they exuded on stage was incredible! They went out like a shooting star!
11-15-02 01:39 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Street Fighting Man wrote:
I saw the Clash live in 1982 at Giants Stadium, NJ (with the Who + George Thorogood) - The energy they exuded on stage was incredible! They went out like a shooting star!

I was there too, and in fact I found the whole scene a faint echo of the absolute white-hot brilliance of my first Clash show at the Tower Theater on the London Calling tour. The Clash were NOT a stadium band, and much of the crowd at Giants Stadium had no idea who they were. In fact, I recorded most of the show and was just listening to it recently. At one point, after "English Civil War", Joe says "We ARE singin' in English, ya know," and later he says "If ya dunno what's goin' on, ask the guy next to ya." Fortunately I didn't have to ask the guy next to ME, because someone else asked him who the Clash were and he said "One of the guys used to be in the Grateful Dead."

When the Clash used footage of that gig for the video of "Should I Stay Or Should I Go", I really thought that was the sort of rockstar egomania that the Clash were supposed to put an end to. They made it look like they were the headliner and going over like gangbusters.

Funny thing about "Cut The Crap" - I saw that version of the band on the tour they did BEFORE they released that pile of shite. And they were really GOOD. Of course they were doing Strummer/Jones songs, but I really thought the Clash could keep going. It wasn't till the album came out that I realized it was over, but in hindsight they were done when Topper left.

Yeah, Annie is right to expect me to hold forth on the subject of the Clash. They were the last band with balls big enough to be the Next Stones. But they couldn't do it, and expecting them to do it is one of the things that destroyed them. They were a bit too stern, too sturm und drang - they had very little sense of humor, and they didn't have the swing that lets you know that every song is about sex. But BOY did they have DRIVE and ENERGY and everything else they needed to flip my switch.

I think the Stanley Brothers broke up too soon.
11-15-02 05:03 AM
gypsymofo60 The Clash, great as they were, were victims of their own anti-star, "we don't wanna be another Rolling Stones, Beatles, Who type band". In alot of ways the fans kept them and their contempararies to their word. As stupid as it sounds I knew of people who actually stopped attending gigs, and buying their records as soon as they had hits, never mind playing stadiums. I think they were like The Jam(their sworn enemies), for fans like me who would've paid for their cover version of 'Knees Up Mother Brown', their demise was always gonna be too early, but in all honesty they contributed a hell of alot between 1977, and 1982, and 'Give 'em Enough Rope' remains one THE great British punk albums, on a par with 'Bollocks', and 'Damned, Damned'.
11-15-02 05:12 AM
Moonisup I think George Thorogood is really good!!!! But he isn't that hot in Europe!!! I feel bad about that, cos I really like his stuff!!!

Rik,

The wooden shoe
Page: 1 2 3