ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Congratulations to the proud parents, and to Rieke for having them!!

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bands That Fizzled Out Too Quickly! Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
11-12-02 11:30 AM
Street Fighting Man Here goes Ladies & Gents with the list of those bands that came + went way too quickly (for various reasons, of course):

1. Police
2. The Clash
3. Keith Richards & The Expensive Winos
4. Jimi Hendrix
5. Cream
11-12-02 11:42 AM
Dan Spice Girls
Ethyl Meatplow
Geraldine Fibbers
NY Loose
Kelley Deal 6000
Lush
Grotus
Ramainz
NY Dolls
Pixies
Babes In Toyland

11-12-02 11:54 AM
quackenbush Guns and Roses
The Animals
11-12-02 11:57 AM
RubyFriday This group,the first so called super group.
1 album,no concert as far as I remember.

11-12-02 12:03 PM
jb Georgia Satellites
Living Color
The Cult
11-12-02 12:11 PM
sirmoonie The Police jizzled out right when they should have. Otherwise, they would have started putting out the boring crap that Sting does now. Man, does he wank.

Used to dig the Police, still do to some extent, but their music really hasn't aged as well as one would have thought it would.

Never saw them, but heard from many that they sucked very big live, despite the fact that Copeland is one helluva freakin' drummer.
---------
The Animals and the Clash - now that was some very unfortunate fizzulation.
11-12-02 12:25 PM
Factory Girl The Stooges-self-destructed

Alice In Chains self-destructed

GNR- ditto
11-12-02 12:26 PM
jb Police were so overrated...absolute 80's garbage with exception of 1 song"Born in the 50's".
11-12-02 12:29 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Hmm...

The Clash.
The Velvet Underground (when John Cale left it was over).
The Animals.
Blind Faith.
Derek And The Dominoes.
Creem. (Yeah, Clapton's quick three.)
Wings. (Actual rationale behind this! They had their best lineup *ever* going into Japan and were actually turning back to their pure rock'n'roll roots when McCartney got busted. Wanker.)

And, for better or for worse...

The Faces.

Yes, then you could go on about how we wouldn't have Ronnie, which would suck. But as an isolated band - yeah, only four albums? No official live album with Ronnie Lane?

Sad, sad, sad.

Now for bands that haven't had the good sense to die?

How about The Who, The Sex Pistols, and the Pretenders? If there was any doubt before, it's all over now for The Who - give it up, you two. Losing Keith Moon was pretty bad, but he was already on his way out. Losing The Ox? You're done. And the Pretenders are over, too.

-tSYX --- Can you see the real me, doctor? Doctor?
11-12-02 01:02 PM
winter Buck Cherry!

Their first album abosolutely ROCKED!!

wintah
11-12-02 03:07 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:

The Velvet Underground (when John Cale left it was over).

You are completely mad. That party line is a myth. Please go back to talking about Back to the Egg . By the way, have you heard the Concert for Kampuchea with its great McCartney set?

RubyFriday:

Blind Faith did play a concert. I think. I know I've sold boots of their shows before. As I recall they did a big free thing at Hyde Park.

I am surprised you liked them -- I think that album is an absolute abominable pit of incoherence and "supergroup poop de doop", aside from I guess "Can't Find My Way Home" and "Presence of the Lord", although I don't really care if I never hear those songs again. But to each his own - do what you like. Anything with Eric Clapton in it w/o the words "Break", "Birds" or "Dominoes" generally makes me sweat, heave and puke, anyway.

'Strue!

And the Animals ground on for quite a while after they should've before coming to a hault. Any doubts as to their era passing should be dispelled by their not so amazing 80s reunition album -- Before We Were So Rudely Interrupted.

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
11-12-02 03:10 PM
sasca Syd�s Pink Floyd. Barely a year after they were signed he was gone.
11-12-02 03:12 PM
jb Richie Valie
Buddy Holly
Big Bopper
They really burnt out....
[Edited by jb]
11-12-02 03:18 PM
sasca Richie Valens, yes! The guy was incredibly talented. Only 17 when he died. And Buddy Holly was the coolest musician ever - because he didn�t give a damn about being cool.
11-12-02 03:18 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:

RubyFriday:

Blind Faith did play a concert. I think. I know I've sold boots of their shows before. As I recall they did a big free thing at Hyde Park.

that's right nasty and they also did one tour of the u.s. after which they promptly disbanded less than a year after forming

i, too , like the two tracks you mentioned and i thought their take on "well, alright" was, at least, acceptable

stevie winwood was one guy who i thought never realised his full potential given his stuff with the spencer davis group and the relative lameness of his output after that

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
11-12-02 03:19 PM
jb I love Not fade away, La Bamba, and theme from happy Days...rock around the clock tonight...
[Edited by jb]
11-12-02 03:26 PM
Child of the Moon Gotta go with the Buffalo Springfield on this one. In-freakin'-credible line-up, and it's a shame that Neil Young and Steve Stills couldn't get things together with themselves at that point. And, I mean, we know what happened when Neil tried to join CSN - that damn near fell apart, too. But the Springfield was great, and they ended way too soon. Only three albums from those cats, but I love them all.

I'll also go with the New Barbarians. 'Cause I just love those guys.
11-12-02 03:27 PM
beer
quote:
jb wrote:
Richie Valie
Buddy Holly
Big Bopper
They really burnt out....
[Edited by jb]

Sorry JB, but that theory doesn't fly. From what I heard, their last show was a smash hit!
11-12-02 03:31 PM
jb Beer..Did you and Kath51 hook up for Tacoma? What is she really like?
11-12-02 03:36 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

stevie winwood was one guy who i thought never realised his full potential given his stuff with the spencer davis group and the relative lameness of his output after that

That Spencer Davis Group stuff is great -- I denied their marvellousness for years because I am so nonfond of Traffic, nor Winwoody as a soloist, nor Blind Faith, nor nothin', but those records are beat raving Brit bang of a very high level.
11-12-02 03:36 PM
beer Nope, I didn't meet Kath. I was in the Ramada bar before and after the show though, and saw a couple people from Shidoobee I think.
11-12-02 03:38 PM
Highwire Rob
  • Travelling Willbury's: Never a chance of this now with Roy Orbison and George Harrison having left us. At least one RS magazine editor doesn't agree with me but their first album was great--acoustic guitars blended with electric never sounded so crisp. Sure, it was a group of master musicians having a little fun, the songs endure time IMO--Handle Me with Care, Last Night, Tweeter and the Monkey Man (A Dylan classic you can't find on any other album). The follow-up Wilbury's, VOL 3 [sic], is alone, worthwhile for Harrison's sitar playing. And She's My Baby is a grinding blast! I have the bootleg with both volumes on one disc. But then, that's the only way you can get them right now--something to do with a dispute between record companies and Orbison's estate (widow).
  • The Band: So much classic work that stands the test of time. It would be nice just to see them get together to be civil to one another! These are the guys that wrote & performed The Weight for crying out loud! Why don't they just listen to their own song and put their differences aside before they leave this life? Already, Rick Danko has died too soon and Levon Helm, the voice of The Weight has been stricken with throat cancer and can no longer sing. Yes, a legacy of work that the new reissue of the LAST WALTZ attests to, but still, gone too soon.

[Edited by Highwire Rob]
11-12-02 03:40 PM
RubyFriday @ Nasty

I would like to hear that Hyde Park Boot,just for nostalgia.I was a great Winwood fan that time and loved Well alright.It�s not the music I hear nowadays,but I wouldn�t mind if they did a few more albums.Maybe it were also the substances -we enjoyed that time-that made me love it .
I also loved the Layla double lp.Remember,there was not soo much good music around 1970 (compared to 62-68).
[Edited by RubyFriday]
11-12-02 04:18 PM
KeepRigid I wish the Wilburys would continue as a band.

They should go ahead and release a new album as a trio.

Then, after the next member's death, they could become a duo.

Finally, we would have 'A Wilbury Alone'.

Don't even act like Orbison and Harrison wouldn't be laughing their asses off, either!
11-12-02 04:22 PM
Moonisup yes the faces, Led Zep

and some others yeah! Lucky we got the stones
11-12-02 04:25 PM
Nasty Habits I think that the Layla LP is pretty amazing --- definitely my favorite post-Yardbirdies Claptonian get down. The guit interplay 'tween Clap and Duaney is of virtual Stones proportion with all that slide and big chunky blues.

Will letcha know if I can locate a copy of the Blind Faith boot or something better (as I recall the Hyde Park had pretty wack sound) and getchaback in a PM.

Due to the preponderance of people with taste mentioning "Well All Right" I think that I had best go back and listen to that song again. Only the words of Rocks Off members could make me listen to a record with Ginger Baker drumming on it.

11-12-02 04:25 PM
sasca Kenickie.
11-12-02 04:27 PM
sasca But I don�t think some of the groups mentioned fizzled out too early. Too many groups went on too long.
11-12-02 04:47 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
KeepRigid wrote:
I wish the Wilburys would continue as a band.

They should go ahead and release a new album as a trio.

Then, after the next member's death, they could become a duo.

Finally, we would have 'A Wilbury Alone'.

Don't even act like Orbison and Harrison wouldn't be laughing their asses off, either!

I can see them up there right now -- "Awright, Jeff Lynne - you shouldve been first but now yer next!"

Unlike Harrison and Orbison, Jeff Lynne will be sent straight to eternal torture for his production crimes against the ear.

This is SUCH a good idea!

Wilburys unite!

(I'm not playing with fire, am I? Bob won't die if this happens, right? I mean, I'm SURE it'll be ELO boy. Just sure . . .)

11-12-02 04:57 PM
Mr T the Black Crowes
Page: 1 2 3