ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Winterland, San Francisco - June 6th, 1972, 1st show
Thanks Stoneslib

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Tony Sanchez's Book Return to archive
11-12-03 07:30 AM
Jeremy Beadles Hand Just started reading Tony Sanchez's bok, "Up and Down With the Rolling Stones" It's okay but it seems like the guy just wants to gloat about how he used to take drugs with Brian.

Is it like this all the way through? Is it any ggod in general? SHould I be reading something else?
11-12-03 08:29 AM
SHINE A LIGHT yeah, i did not like it at all!! i've recently pre-ordered the kris needs book on keith..."before they make me run". i'll let you know how that one is. won't be shipped until the first week in dec.
11-12-03 08:50 AM
dkmonroe Sanchez's book is fun to read, but I don't think it's any benchmark for accuracy. It's basically a tabloid level tell-all, so of course a lot of the "all" he tells is exaggerated.

I think that he also borrowed liberally from Tony Scaduto's "Mick Jagger" bio, but that book's got even more fiction in it. It opens with Brian trying to stab Mick with a carving knife, and also claims that Brian "saved" the song "Play with Fire" with his instrumental arrangement. I understand that Brian actually never even played on that track.

My favorite Stones book is Stanley Booth's, but I know people have problems with it as well. The Stones early years have long ago retreated into myth, there's probably no book out there that's not fictive at some level.
11-12-03 08:56 AM
Jeremy Beadles Hand As I thought. Just wanted to make sure. Cheers
11-12-03 09:15 AM
SHINE A LIGHT try the victor bockris book about keith, very good and also lacking in the trash.
11-12-03 11:13 AM
corgi37 Actually, Keith never had a problem with the book, apart from the fact the guy spilled the beans. Most of the "i fucked her, and then u fucked her" stuff is utter crap. But...Keith and his hovercraft is true! Plus, it all end in 75, i mean...why not talk about sherlock holmes, or napaoleon - its ancient history. And way tooo sympathetic too the loser Brian.. Oh, Mick and keith---the bulllies. (smack).DOnt hit the talented one, ypu'll have no career (hello, 40 years later!) Would Brian make it???? Forgetting any pool mishaps.
11-12-03 06:59 PM
BILL PERKS WHAT PROBLEMS DO PEOPLE HAVE WITH STANLEY BOOTH'S BOOK?
11-13-03 02:28 PM
c.k. The problem I had with the Stanley Booth book was that he talked more about himself than he did the Stones.

The Tony Sanchez book is pretty good. I'm not sure if its suppose to be true or not but who cares, it's entertaining.

I hate books that idealize Jones and get all dewey eyed over him and go on about what a great guy he was and how mean old Keith and Mick bullied him and called him names and wouldn't let him play in any of their reindeer games. Pathetic girlfriend-beating loser.

The worst Stones book I've ever read was any of the Jagger bios, especially Carey Schofield's mess of a biography. Pure sensationalism, and not even very entertainting sensationalism at that. I refuse to read any Stones book that claims that Mick and brian slept together *puke*

11-13-03 04:09 PM
StrangeSkies I just got this really funny mental picture of the Stones playing reindeer games. Maybe that's a good idea for a Christmas card?
Anyways, I've read the Sanchez book too. It was fun, but I'd take everything he says with a grain of salt.
11-13-03 04:22 PM
scratched I've just finished reading 'The True Adventures...'. I enjoyed it. Not quite up there with Robert Greenfield's but still excellent. I agree, he does talk a bit too much about himself (it should be sub-titled '...and Stanley Booth') but the book is so well written that it doesn't matter. He's on the Gimme Shelter film too, right? The guy in the hotel room dancing to Brown Sugar with Mick and Keefy?

By the way, does anyone know where I can get a transcript of the '71 Rolling Stone interview with Keefy? I know its in the Exile book but I can't afford that!