ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Winterland, San Francisco - June 6th, 1972, 1st show
Thanks Stoneslib

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Six reasons why I don�t buy CDs at the store anymore� Return to archive
11-11-03 01:39 PM
brookeburkesluvr Times have changed since the Stones first started selling music. Nowadays I think there are better options. Here are some reasons why I'd rather buy music online;

1. easier to preview tracks online rather than drive to the store and wait for an open listening station
2. running out of storage space for all the CDs I bought just for 1 or 2 tracks each
3. I never know what the store has in stock and what they don't and it's a pain to try and find specific CDs in some of these places where their alphabetical tabs have all been moved around out of order
4. expensive ~ I pay less $ for each track online, and don't have to pay for the tracks I don't want. I'm tired of spending $15-20 bucks for a 10-12 song disc with maybe 2 or 3 tracks that I actually like.
5. It just saves time and it's so much easier. Plain and simple.
6. Car listening. Whether you're using a 1 disc player or a 10-disc CD changer in the car, you know what I mean when I say that it's far better to have compilation discs loaded in with songs you like on them. Having a car filled with CDs that you have to change over frequently is a hassle (and sometimes a hazard)

So, I�ve finally come to the point where music shopping online is preferable than to physically go to the store. Not to mention the force-fed radio setlists ~ it's better to make your own compilation CDs and listen to them in your car. I'm curious to know how many other people are following this trend now, and what service has been the best for you. I don't use the file-sharing services, primarily because they're illegal and artists get cheated out of any share. I'm talking soley about the subscription-based ones.
11-12-03 06:26 AM
egon here's another reason:

kazaalite
11-12-03 02:50 PM
brookeburkesluvr ?? There's no way I'd use Kazaa. I don't believe in free file sharing, and not just for ethical reasons. If you use a free-file sharing service, you run the risk of getting a virus, a bad file, or a lawsuit. Plus, downloading all those files to listen to them is cumbersome. Not all subscription-based services are convenient either. iTunes only lets you preview 30 seconds of a track, then you have to buy it for 99 cents to hear the whole thing. At the office where I work we use Rhapsody (http://www.bestbuy.com/rhapsody), which is much easier (and cheap at $10 a month ~ we share it, so it's split up between six people). It's great because we get unlimited listening to just about anything we can think of all day. We like to take turns playing "DJ". I agree that there's no substitute for getting the commercial CD from an artist whose music you know you're going to really like. But if you just want music playing all day and you're usually around a computer, you can't beat something like Rhapsody. Plus, if you listen to CDs in the car a lot you know the value of having compilations handy. I have a 10-disc changer under the backseat and I make compilation CDs with Rhapsody so I don't have to change out discs as often. (they charge 79 cents per track burn)
Another thing I can think of that has 'converted' me to this type of online music buying is that it's so immediate. In the past, if I thought of something I hadn't heard in a long time and wanted a copy of, I would have to wait until I made a trip to the store to look for it. Then, assuming I remembered what it was that I wanted to get once I was actually at the store, I would have to hope that they had it in stock. Now, when I suddenly think of a CD I want to hear, I can immediately look it up on Rhapsody and start playing it.
Last, but not least, the artist gets paid when we burn tracks and that's important to me. Sure, they don't get paid as much as they should, but they don't get as much as they should from sales off a commercial CD either. The label gets the biggest cut of that too. Funny thing is, people complain about supporting the artist, but nobody has ever complained about buying used CDs from used music stores and the only people who see a red cent from a used CD sale is the store. Neither the artist nor the label gets anything.