ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Winterland, San Francisco - June 6th, 1972, 1st show
Thanks Stoneslib

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones Interview on Today Show Return to archive
11-11-03 07:51 AM
scope I had to leave for work, but heard the promo this morning for part 1 of an interview with the Stones by Matt Lauer. If anyone catches this, please provide some details. I'm sure the DVD will be discussed, since today is THE DAY. BEST BUY for Lunch Day!!! Woo hoo
11-11-03 09:01 AM
SHINE A LIGHT yes, i'm taping it so i'll keep you all posted after i've had a chance to view it!!!!!
11-11-03 09:56 AM
glencar It was on at 7:40 or so, scope. Keith was interviewed alone & then the Stones were interviewed together. Keith was asked about his hands & said that sometimes he plays too hard & knows he should be gentler. Ronnie was asked about his alcoholism & the otehrs all agreed he's playing much better. Mick talked about how he's not so tired at the end of this tour as compared to previous tours. A relaxed interview & it's clear that Lauer is more of a fan than we'd realized. He said that tomorrow we'll get an "inside look" at what goes on to get the tour ready. They didn't talk about the DVD today but Lauer promoed it as the segment ended.
11-11-03 10:06 AM
scope Thanks for the recap. I gotta make sure to tape tomorrow's segment.
11-11-03 10:18 AM
glencar You're welcome. I have a feeling though taht it'll be a snippet from the DVD. I hope I'm wrong. Don't forget Keith's on "Whoopy!" tonight.
11-11-03 11:11 AM
SHINE A LIGHT thanks from me too. i haven't watched it yet,but i'll tape the whoopi thing AND tape matt l. again tomorrow.
11-11-03 10:19 PM
SHINE A LIGHT fyi....the today show thing is online....go to nbc.com then click on today show, entertainment. the entire interview is there,just in case you missed it this morning.
have fun,the band looks wonderful!!!!!
11-11-03 11:57 PM
Sue Rolling Stones release DVD box set
"Four Flicks� documents
the band�s 2002-03
�Live Licks� tour
NBC�s Matt Lauer sits down with the Rolling Stones to discuss the end of their 30th career tour.

For the video go here http://www.msnbc.com/news/991834.asp?0dm=V1DVL#BODY

ASSOCIATED PRESS
NEW YORK, Nov. 10 � Rest assured, before you go see the Rolling Stones, Mick Jagger is loving you truly. And Keith Richards is hating it. That was some of the backstage action revealed as the Stones talked about Tuesday�s release of their new DVD box set, �Four Flicks,� which documents the band�s 2002-03 �Live Licks� tour.

JAGGER SAILED into the hotel interview suite wearing a purple leather jacket, orange socks and a black shirt with blue edging. Punctuating his comments with a whiskey laugh, Jagger and Richards, Charlie Watts and Ron Wood spoke about warming up, winding down and everything in between.

WARMING UP
Associated Press: Before the club show, there�s a bit of you singing, �I love you truly.� What�s going on there?
Jagger: I have vocal warm-ups to do. You can�t just walk on stage and sing. Well, some people do and they�re able to do it, but I�m not. You have to warm up first, like any other muscle, you have to warm yourself up. I have to do like 40 minutes of warm-up and �I love you truly� is part of my warm-ups � and other silly noises.
AP: There�s a point on the DVD where you complain because Mick is doing scales in another room. Is this a recurring problem?
Richards: (Laughs.) Well, yeah. You can call it that. I put it in the contract, actually just for fun, after the last tour. Mick�s next door and the rest of the band is in the other room and we�re listening to scales. There�s some people that need this. Actually, it became a joke. �He cannot do this within my earshot.� We fool around with each other. In a way, I suppose it�s the difference between my way of approaching things and Mick�s way, which is serious preparation and mine is just get there and do it.

A MOMENT, AN IDEA, A SONG
AP: Do you need a certain set of circumstances to be able to write a song?
Richards: I feel like I�m an antenna. You sit down, you pick up a guitar, you sit down at the piano, just tinkle away. Now and again, a lucky accident or just something comes in, and suddenly there�s a little idea, and that�s called incoming. If you grab that moment and idea, you give it a little help, a little grease, and stroke it a bit and you know (kisses) �I love you!� With a bit of luck, that�ll turn into a song, and then you transmit it. I feel like the go-between in this thing. I don�t feel like creation. You know, �I created this, I wrote this, this is mine, and blah.� I just think I was lucky to receive it and even luckier that I could pass it on.
AP: If I had been given the choice of seeing you on the first show of the tour or on the last show, which would have been the better one?
Watts: Usually the last one, you know what you�re doing.
Wood: But also the first one, in Toronto, the little club, where we first started up again ... we were so nervous! Well, I was.
Wood: When you don�t do it for two years, and we can�t do anything half. It has to be manic.

STILL NERVOUS AFTER ALL THESE YEARS
AP: They show a shot of you right before that Toronto show where you�re all looking nervous � but you�re the Rolling Stones. What could you possibly be nervous about?
Wood: Caring for our audiences.
Watts: Yeah, if you didn�t, you could just toss it off. I get nervous playing a pub, let alone going on stage. I get nervous playing with other people. It�s adrenaline. I think if you weren�t like that, you wouldn�t care.
AP: Have you ever had stage fright?
Jagger: Not in the accepted sense. ... You feel a bit nervous, but I�m not really nervous.
AP: There�s a point on the DVD where you look like you�re hiding under the stage.
Jagger: Yeah, that�s the first show of the whole tour, you know, and everyone�s scared. There�s a lot of tension from everyone, because I�m not the only one. There are 30 people backstage, and their tension is palpable. You never know what�s going to happen. That�s one of the interesting things about it. Once you get out there, the first five minutes, that�s all gone.
AP: For some people, that would be their worst nightmare: standing up in front of a crowd of people. Why do you do it?
Jagger: It is frightening. It�s not frightening for me.

COMING HOME
AP: You�ve been on tour for so long. What are the first few days like when you finally get home?
Watts: Usually, (the feeling is) still carried on.
Wood: I was going to say the same thing. Every night at nine o�clock, where�s the gig?
Watts: But his wife is on the road with him. Mine is at home. So when I get home, mentally I�m still on the road, but I�m actually straight back into being there, with people who have been there for two years and I�ve been there twice in two years. That�s a very strange thing.
Wood: (To Watts) What? To see your wife again? It�s not strange to me!

� 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
11-12-03 12:41 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy That was *awesome*. I'm glad to see them so happy.

Let's have a good album now, gentlemen!

-tSYX --- I'll nevah be your beast of burden...
11-12-03 01:52 AM
corgi37 Nice stuff. The Today show used to be shown here around 1am, but now its on at 4am. I missed it last night, but just watched the vid from NBC. I remember Matt Lauer talking to them last year when the tour started. Or was it when 40 licks was released? Anyway, he IS a huge fan. And it shows. What a treat for that bastard. Stuff interviewing George W, or Arnie. How cool would it be, waking up nice and early, knowing your going to meet the Stones - again!! PLus, get paid a few million a year to do it. I'd be on crack or something. Best of all folks, i am currently on holidays. My wife and kids are visiting her mum. I am all alone. My local pub has a "uni" night tonight. Thats when all our future leaders head to the pub, straight from their studies. But, best of all, it $1.00 pots of beer for 2 hours!! I can put up with the goatees and baggy pants. So, heaps of beer, check out some young girls navel rings, laugh with my mates, come home, open my spare bottle of birthday vodka, plonk on...mmm, i dunno, sticky fingers?? - then wait until 4am. I might come back on here to keep me awake.
11-12-03 10:14 AM
telecaster Part 2 was really good. That DVD looks great and the sound on it was top shelf
11-12-03 10:40 AM
Joey

Damn ...........................wish I could have seen it .