ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Winterland, San Francisco - June 6th, 1972, 1st show
Thanks Stoneslib

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Some Girls Vs Goat's Head Soup Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
11-05-03 01:37 PM
jb One cannot truly pick a post MT album as being superior and truly understand the band.
11-05-03 04:46 PM
Hooked Some Girls by a mile. GHS isn't bad, but it's the start of a period when the Stones kind of forgot they were the Stones and Some Girls is when they kind of remembered who they were again. At least temporarily...
11-05-03 11:55 PM
BILL PERKS DEPENGS ON YOUR MEDICINE AND ATTITUDE...SOME GIRLS IS UPTEMPO COCAINE AND METH MUSIC WHILE GHS IS MORE BOOZE,POT AND HEROIN MUSIC.GHS IS MY WINTER,GLOOMY RECORD AND I SHALL LISTEN TO IT WHEN THE WEATHER GOES SHITTY.
11-05-03 11:58 PM
glencar Well, I only do booze so I'll have to drink heavily tonight & give GHS another run.
11-06-03 06:38 AM
Zeeta Yes indeed Nasty, SGs has an amazing, gritty, concise and filthy drum sound! Why is it so good and why is GHS drum sound a bit muffled?? Anyone??!!

jb - IORR is not as good as Tattoo You or Some Girls FACT!

11-06-03 09:32 AM
jaymze not sure which to choose. SG is a more consistant record, the songs are of a higher quality overall and there are few dissapointments (far away eyes is the exception -i hate that track!).Miss you and beast of burden are also on this album so it is a hard one to knock down. GHS has some brilliant tunes on it, it also has some very below par tracks like winter, can you hear the music, hide your love. going from my gut feeling i will have to say GHS, as one of my faveourite stones songs ever "heartbreaker is on it and this sways the arguemant for me. also the fact that mick taylor is on this album makes me give the thumbs up to GHS!
11-06-03 10:52 AM
glencar "Can You Hear The Music" is one of the worst songs from that era.
11-06-03 11:40 AM
Poplar
WTF?!!!! Winter saves GHS!!! On the right day, that song can make me cry. Also - 100 Years Ago may be one of the Stones' most under-appreciated songs. It rocks my world, and it is generally the main reason i throw the album on. T 100 Years outro bit, with the fierce guitar work, man it's great!! very 70's... and the sweet organ intro. i love that song.

Now - as for the GHS - SG match up, i have to agree that SG is better overall. The key word has been mentioned here before... it is "grit." and no - not our timeless southern food. Some Girls just has a great character start to finish. GHS is choppy, and the point seems to get lost. Although it loses some points for that disjointed flavor, it also gives it its own unique quality.

And i agree with you Perks - Some Girls you "take upstairs," if ya know what i mean. Goats Head Soup you pour in a tall glass and have a few nice puffs while you drink it down, and pour another, and another...
11-06-03 12:56 PM
macawber i refuse to answer and would like to invoke the taylor era rule which clearly states:

-"its not fair to compare any rolling stones album from the mick taylor era to any other music,stones or otherwise.
anything from 69-74 should be placed in a separate catagory and be discussed only in relation to itself".

11-06-03 06:41 PM
KeithRichards210
quote:
mickchickxxx wrote:
GHS because of Mick. T.

Exactly.
11-06-03 07:27 PM
Some Guy Some Girls! GHS is good but it ain't in the same league, much less the same ballpark!
11-07-03 01:55 AM
kahoosier I vote for GHS and usually think of SG's as a bit over rated. Now that said...for so many of you...

MICK TAYLOR IS GONE!!!! HE IS NEVER COMING BACK!!!!! GET OVER IT!!!!JOIN THE LIVING WORLD AND LEAVE THE DEAD PAST BEHIND!!! CHRIST YOU GUYS HAVE AN UNRESOLVED GRIEF REACTION!
11-07-03 03:45 PM
macawber kahoosier wrote:

MICK TAYLOR IS GONES HE'S NEVER COMING
BACK!!!

maybe not as part of that all star cover band thats posing as the rolling stones.he'll be playing small clubs for a price any fan can afford,thats what real rock and roll is all about.what he won't be doing is charging people $350 to see him play,appearing onstage with members of n'sync or doing a guest spot on a tv sitcom.time,the great equalizer.
11-07-03 04:36 PM
SirMuddy Whats' the matter with Mick T?
he play too much soft for the stones
sorry I never like is playing...
but 1968-1972 still the golden age
and the one reason is keith..
1973-1974 is Mick Taylor decadence...
Black and blue is far better than GHS
Winter is simply boring
I love Can't you hear the music
smells ganja
Some girl's a bit too "metal" but it's better than GHS
IORR is better than GHS, reason: keith
but anyway.. it's juts kddy talking
Long live rock and fuck the rest!
11-07-03 06:06 PM
Chuck Davis GHS gets my vote. Some Girls never appealed to me all that much. Too frenetic.
11-07-03 06:42 PM
KeithRichards210
quote:
macawber wrote:
kahoosier wrote:

MICK TAYLOR IS GONES HE'S NEVER COMING
BACK!!!

maybe not as part of that all star cover band thats posing as the rolling stones.he'll be playing small clubs for a price any fan can afford,thats what real rock and roll is all about.what he won't be doing is charging people $350 to see him play,appearing onstage with members of n'sync or doing a guest spot on a tv sitcom.time,the great equalizer.

Ha! Finally, a voice of reason.
I KNOW MT isn't coming back, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. So what? Does that mean that we shouldn't prefer his work to Woody's? NO. I really don't give a fuck at this point whether he returns or not. The rest of the Stones aren't what they once were anyway. So it's not as if Taylor could bring back the glory days of 69-73. I still love the Stones, but I also love it when the best lead guitarist they ever had puts on a show for $20 a head, I get a seat right at the edge of the stage (which happened twice), and he plays his balls off for everyone. I just everyone would settle the fuck down and not go into this OLD "He's not a STONE anymore!!!" rant every time someone voices a preference to Taylor's era of the Stones. Fuck it. Let it GO!!!
[Edited by KeithRichards210]
[Edited by KeithRichards210]
11-08-03 01:49 PM
glencar MT plays his balls off? I saw him at Wetlands & I thought he was...okay. I liked the blues singer who came on for a song or two.
11-08-03 04:05 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Zeeta wrote:
jb - IORR is not as good as Tattoo You or Some Girls FACT!

I like Some Girls all right but Tattoo You was the last stones record I bought, about a year ago. It didn't turn me on that much. On the other hand I love IORR....perhaps a sentimentality issue, I don't know. I mean I can't review records that well. "Dance Little Sister" to me is in the top 10 rock n roll songs ever....and "Fingerprint File" is Prophetic...say nothing about the rest of the record. My favorite Stones ballad (and I don't even like ballads much is on that record)Till The Next Goodbye. Anyway
11-08-03 06:34 PM
scratched
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

"Dance Little Sister" to me is in the top 10 rock n roll songs ever....

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
11-08-03 07:10 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Well...ain't it?
11-08-03 07:13 PM
glencar Shoot, that isn't even in the top ten on IORR!
11-08-03 07:26 PM
scratched
quote:
glencar wrote:
Shoot, that isn't even in the top ten on IORR!

lol! I quite like the track and the guitars sound good but I think its a bit short on ideas; I mean it doesn't really go anywhere. Anyone agree?
11-08-03 07:28 PM
glencar I like If You Can't Rock Me much more.
11-08-03 07:47 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Yeah. It's seems to be a very underrated record. IORR is the Rolling Stones peaking...in alot of ways. You even got Stu on the best tracks, and Short & Curlies (which is a piano song that Stu probably should have credit for).

(Stu.....who would have ever thought?....Route 66!!!!)
11-08-03 07:55 PM
glencar I always thought it was one of their weaker efforts but it's still better than 90% of others artists' output.
11-08-03 08:00 PM
scratched I like most of IORR too. The only tracks I don't like are Until The Next Goodbye and If You Really Want To Be My Friend. I can't believe that the cheesy gospel of the latter is from the same band that cut Let It Loose only a couple of years before!
11-08-03 08:10 PM
glencar The cheesy gospel on I Got the Blues works much better. I like Fingerprint File a bit.
11-08-03 08:14 PM
Ten Thousand Motels IORR itself, I know, is a very OVERPLAYED song....but if it wasn't so good it wouldn't have been overplayed.

"It's only Rock N Roll
But I like it."

Simple but effective.
11-08-03 08:24 PM
glencar Ain't Too Proud To Beg is awesomely done. Especially on that old Midnight Special/Don Kirschner show.
11-08-03 10:21 PM
Promo I've always felt that Some Girls was equal to IORR.
Shattered-When the Whip Comes Down vs Time Waits For No One-Dance Little Sister?? Too close to call.
Depends if you love 1967-76 Lead guitar styles, or not.

During IORR Rock and Roll was lost in the seventies. The Stones were relying on their greatness and getting by very well. IORR should've sucked. Rock was all Glam by then.

Some Girls gave them a mission to rock. They went back in time and found their rock-roots. That's why I like it.
After all.....the Stones were Punks when they did Satisfaction-Get Off Of My Cloud....
Page: 1 2 3