ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Baltimore MD First Mariner Center - 1st February 2006
© Algerina Perna with thanks to Sue!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: This is the best version of "Rocks Off" I've ever heard! Return to archive
3rd November 2007 11:58 AM
MemoFromTinaTurner This live version of "Rocks Off" was recorded in Sydney back in 1973. I think it's great. Check it out:

3rd November 2007 12:06 PM
fireontheplatter the recording sounds a lot like the brussals affair recording.

what a hit. that was great. the stones back in the day.

everybody say ow
3rd November 2007 01:50 PM
MemoFromTinaTurner Glad you liked it. I added some reverb, some high end and stereo processing to the recording in order to make it sound better and it actually worked.
3rd November 2007 01:52 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
MemoFromTinaTurner wrote:
Glad you liked it. I added some reverb, some high end and stereo processing to the recording in order to make it sound better and it actually worked.

Thanks..nice job....Didnt I see you at the Coke Convention back in 1965?
3rd November 2007 02:02 PM
MemoFromTinaTurner
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

Thanks..nice job....Didnt I see you at the Coke Convention back in 1965?

Weren't you eating eggs in Sammy's there when the black man drew his knife?
[Edited by MemoFromTinaTurner]
3rd November 2007 07:47 PM
MemoFromTinaTurner bump
4th November 2007 12:36 AM
Kilroy It's the Bass Man It's THe Bass , as in Wyman. That dude cooks, Him and Watts
4th November 2007 03:40 AM
Paranoid_Android Makes me wonder WHY? "Why can't(won't) they do that now?!?"
4th November 2007 06:33 AM
MemoFromTinaTurner
quote:
Kilroy wrote:
It's the Bass Man It's THe Bass , as in Wyman. That dude cooks, Him and Watts

Wyman and Watts were awesome on that tour. They really knew how to make the Stones roll. The Stones were at their peak as a live band at the time, IMO.
4th November 2007 07:07 AM
swapwoodfortaylor AWESOME!! Thanks MFT
4th November 2007 08:03 AM
guitarman53
quote:
Paranoid_Android wrote:
Makes me wonder WHY? "Why can't(won't) they do that now?!?"

I know what you mean, but I guess their just getting older, & they can't be in top form forever, great video, I saw them in '72 in Toronto, & in those days, they played 2 concerts, in one night, I was to the earlier one, I still got the stub.

[Edited by guitarman53]
4th November 2007 02:26 PM
MemoFromTinaTurner I just noticed that the video got an honor for being #3 in the list of "most viewed" music videos in Spain yesterday. Thanks to everyone who watched!
5th November 2007 01:10 AM
rstp72 No doubt the best tour ever , tiptop form . why can't they do it now?? because that's how they roll back then , nasty and dirty RnR :-)
Laters
5th November 2007 03:53 AM
Zack
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
the recording sounds a lot like the brussals affair recording.

what a hit. that was great. the stones back in the day.

everybody say ow

Rocks Off was not in the set for the Brussels show nor any other on the fall 73 tour of Europe.
5th November 2007 09:27 AM
Nasty Habits When I saw the name of this thread I thought "must be from Australia '73".

This version sounds like Perth to me. Or what I've always considered Perth.

Rules beyond belief, that is for true.

8 or 9 guys making as much noise as humanly possible.
5th November 2007 09:42 AM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

This version sounds like Perth to me. Or what I've always considered Perth.

Those are my thoughts as well....
5th November 2007 09:53 AM
Joey
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

Those are my thoughts as well....

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
"Lil Fiji..I just got a feeling that in 15 or 20 years, you're gonna be somebody...maybe like a writer or something"
5th November 2007 03:43 PM
MemoFromTinaTurner
quote:
This version sounds like Perth to me.

It's Sydney, actually. That particular version of "Rocks Off" is taken from the "Rock & Roll Stew" boot, which is a soundboard recording from the Stones' show in Sydney (recorded in February 26, 1973).

A soundboard recording of the Perth show exists too. That show is featured on boots like "Rocks Off" and "Happy Birthday Nicky".
5th November 2007 04:07 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:

I know what you mean, but I guess their just getting older, & they can't be in top form forever, great video, I saw them in '72 in Toronto, & in those days, they played 2 concerts, in one night, I was to the earlier one, I still got the stub.

[Edited by guitarman53]

Wow we sat close together man.What a trip..I made both shows that day.Funny if you remember that day Dylan was playing out on the Island...
5th November 2007 05:23 PM
MemoFromTinaTurner Here's "Bitch" from the same Sydney show from 1973:

5th November 2007 05:44 PM
guitarman53
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

Wow we sat close together man.What a trip..I made both shows that day.Funny if you remember that day Dylan was playing out on the Island...

That's fantastic! to actually know someone else was at that concert way back then, I remember it being very hot & humid, I know Dylan played one year back then at Mariposa folk festival but I didn't know it was that same time, & that was like 35 years ago.
6th November 2007 01:24 AM
jpenn11
quote:
MemoFromTinaTurner wrote:
Here's "Bitch" from the same Sydney show from 1973:

Cool stuff. Thanks for creating and posting this.

Incidentally, for me, Wyman is fantastic in these live versions of Bitch. I also like the Australian tour version of this song where Taylor and Richards play similar lines after the drum/bass break.
6th November 2007 07:37 AM
speedfreakjive YES! taylor and keith are on fire, much better than later versions
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)