ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Baltimore MD First Mariner Center - 1st February 2006
© Algerina Perna with thanks to Sue!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Indian Food Return to archive Page: 1 2
30th October 2007 07:54 PM
gorda The other day, I decided to try the buffet at an Indian restaurant, and the food was okay. I had eaten Indian food, only once before. I don't even remember the names of what I ate. Anyways, their "tortillas" are really thick, and they were cold! Everything else was okay. Edible, but not delcious. It's not like I will be rushing to eat there again.

Oh, and I tried this "pickle-thing" and I had to actually spit it out! It was awful! Absolutely, awful! I almost choked. It wasn't hot like a chile. It wasn't sour like an American pickle. It was just this weird taste that totally grossed me out!

The dessert was a rice pudding with almonds, and that was okay.

And, I also had some cucumber yogurt that was okay.

P.S. I will say that this was one of the first times in my life that I was at an ALL-YOU-CAN-EAT buffet and I didn't go back for seconds.

[Edited by gorda]
30th October 2007 08:00 PM
stonedinaustralia an all you can eat indian food buffett sounds gross - i am not surprised you ddin't like it

go to a restaurant - try the chicken korma
30th October 2007 08:43 PM
mojoman
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

go to a restaurant - try the chicken korma

it rules
30th October 2007 08:46 PM
Throwaway Google "Indian Restaurant [your zip code/hometown]" and there should be some reviews of a few. It also helps if they have a website with a menu!
30th October 2007 09:20 PM
Brainbell Jangler Sunny may have some recommendations.
30th October 2007 09:29 PM
glencar All you can eat is never a good idea!
30th October 2007 09:45 PM
lotsajizz India is almost a continet. It's like generalizing 'American' food.
30th October 2007 09:59 PM
andrews27 One of God's great gifts to Americans of taste but no wealth is good, cheap Indian takeout in large portions. Try the tikka masala and biryani rice at Taj Mahal at the Ross Park Mall food court in the Pittsburgh 'burbs. Taj has a couple sit-down joints in the area, so their food court version is excellent, like a Stones B-stage.
31st October 2007 12:45 AM
Lethargy Indian girl, where is your mama?
1st November 2007 02:30 AM
andrews27
quote:
Lethargy wrote:
Indian girl, where is your mama?

At Ross Park Mall, with Barack Obama
1st November 2007 03:32 AM
Honky Tonk Man I love Indian food. I eat in a restuarant or get takeaway at least once a month.

Chicken Madra, Special Rice and Keema Nan is my favourite meal combo. Its best washed down with a bottle or two of Cobra or King Fisher lager.

Eating spicy food is what us Brits do best. Indian food is more popular than oiyr own dishes these days. Fish and chips, Sunday roast etc.
1st November 2007 08:30 AM
oldkr YES! indian food reigns supreme my friends!

OLDKR
1st November 2007 09:12 AM
Highwire Rob Mmmmmmmm... Shahi Chicken Korma and Nan bread--I'm lovin' it!

Andrews27 - Thanks for the local recommendation, I'll try out that Ross Park location. When I lived a block away in Oakland, Pittsburgh I used to eat here: http://www.indiagarden.net/

We are very lucky to have a vibrant Indian culture in our city of Pittsburgh and Monroeville suburbs thanks to our Academic & Medical communities.
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
1st November 2007 10:21 AM
andrews27
quote:
oldkr wrote:
YES! indian food reigns supreme my friends!

OLDKR

You must listen to this man. He speaks with the experience of Empire.

Back at ya, Highwire Bob. They have Korma occasionally at Ross Park Taj. The sitdown across the street is great, too.

[Edited by andrews27]
1st November 2007 10:24 AM
Some Guy I'm digging sushi.
1st November 2007 10:37 AM
andrews27 Y'know, speaking of 'Highwire' - the Stones really should have pushed 'Sex Drive' more in the clubs and on radio. Some of the best James Brown ever made by Englishmen, and an example of what they can do with a hard-on.
1st November 2007 11:04 AM
Some Guy
quote:
andrews27 wrote:
Y'know, speaking of 'Highwire' - the Stones really should have pushed 'Sex Drive' more in the clubs and on radio. Some of the best James Brown ever made by Englishmen, and an example of what they can do with a hard-on.

1st November 2007 11:21 AM
andrews27 Charlie's a natural as the shrink in that video! Sure that's not Ben Kingsley? There was a time in the 1980s when they had the same haircut...

On second viewing: this is a swell video, giving 'She was Hot' a run for the money.

Somebody do what they didn't - REMIX SEX DRIVE! Throw in wild shit from other Stones songs, including 'She was Hot.' Too bad there isn't a 12" vinyl instrumental track.
[Edited by andrews27]
1st November 2007 04:16 PM
nanatod
quote:
Throwaway wrote:
Google "Indian Restaurant [your zip code/hometown]" and there should be some reviews of a few.

In Chicago, Devon Avenue has block after block of Indo-Pak restaurants:

http://www.devonavenue.com/freebusinesses/restaurants.htm

3rd November 2007 02:51 PM
gorda
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

Okay, now I think I am really going to go deaf! I put on the headphones to watch the video, and MICKY SCREAMED IN MY EAR! Damn! My ears are literally ringing!
3rd November 2007 03:03 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Highwire Rob wrote:
Mmmmmmmm... Shahi Chicken Korma and Nan bread--I'm lovin' it!

Andrews27 - Thanks for the local recommendation, I'll try out that Ross Park location. When I lived a block away in Oakland, Pittsburgh I used to eat here: http://www.indiagarden.net/

We are very lucky to have a vibrant Indian culture in our city of Pittsburgh and Monroeville suburbs thanks to our Academic & Medical communities.
[Edited by Highwire Rob]

Highslam, I went there last time I was in Pittsburgh. If its the one I'm thinking of, like right down from UPMC, its been around for decades. My dad took me there when I was a kid. Then we both got drunk at Originals.
3rd November 2007 03:15 PM
robpop Yeah. that it. Its been around as long as I can remember. Never ate there. I don't eat anything thats not deep-fried. Cant trust people who do not deep fry there food. Now one of those huge boats of fries at the "O" is a different story. I got plastered many times and went to Orignal for a huge boat of deep fried Idaho.
3rd November 2007 03:36 PM
Highwire Rob
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Highslam, I went there last time I was in Pittsburgh. If its the one I'm thinking of, like right down from UPMC, its been around for decades. My dad took me there when I was a kid. Then we both got drunk at Originals.

Yes sirmoonie! That's it a few blocks down Atwood, south from the O's. And don't forget the Prince of India on 5th Ave. across from Chilren's Hosp. and the Star of India on Craig St. betw. Pitt and Carnegie Mellon. Classy places all. Hell, at the Prince the servers even come around with a silver pot and tongs--twirling those steaming white towels with which to freshen up.
3rd November 2007 04:07 PM
pdog Chicken vindaloo is a delicious Indian style dish centered around (you guessed it) chicken. It is quite spicy and has a very exotic flavor, at least for my American palate. If you use some shortcuts, it's also quite simple to make, this delicious dish is also celebrated in the song I Just Want To Have Something To Do by The Ramones.
3rd November 2007 06:16 PM
robpop I was going to Oakland everyday for over a month straight a few months ago to visit my mom at Presby. Oakland seems to have changed. Or, maybe I did, I'm not some kid drinking on a fake ID anymore.
3rd November 2007 06:30 PM
Highwire Rob
quote:
robpop wrote:
I was going to Oakland everyday for over a month straight a few months ago to visit my mom at Presby. Oakland seems to have changed. Or, maybe I did, I'm not some kid drinking on a fake ID anymore.

First, I hope your Mom has recovered and is feeling better.

I know what you mean robpop--Pitt continues to exercise eminent domain in buying up the area block by block. I'm late 30s but still like to check out Peter's Pub on weekends. "Flounder" the DJ will spin Stones tunes for me in-between the youngsters' Hip Hop. The kids are alright! I used to go solo to so many places in Pittsburgh but the Pitt crowd remain cool--never gave me any shit, even the linebackers/bouncers at C.G. Barney's (now Boomerang's).

Back to all things Stones and Indian... For the last five years there's been a nightclub below the India Garden on Atwood St. ...Indian women... Stones requests... dancing... Brimful of Asha on the forty-five
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
3rd November 2007 08:49 PM
sirmoonie Brim on Asha - what a great pop tune.

I kinda differ - I couldn't believe how little Oakland and the Hill had changed in 20 years. East Liberty (and Reizenstein, where I went to school) - barely recognized the place.

The one thing that was always there and I never appreciated as a kid was the beauty of the whole place - I was walking around CMU around sundown, the Cathedral is right there, the hills, the view, Pittsburgh is one of the most beautiful and greatest cities in America.
3rd November 2007 10:38 PM
fireontheplatter i stay well away from that kind of faire....it gives me the scoots.

everybody said ouch
4th November 2007 01:01 AM
robpop
quote:
Highwire Rob wrote:

First, I hope your Mom has recovered and is feeling better.

I know what you mean robpop--Pitt continues to exercise eminent domain in buying up the area block by block. I'm late 30s but still like to check out Peter's Pub on weekends. "Flounder" the DJ will spin Stones tunes for me in-between the youngsters' Hip Hop. The kids are alright! I used to go solo to so many places in Pittsburgh but the Pitt crowd remain cool--never gave me any shit, even the linebackers/bouncers at C.G. Barney's (now Boomerang's).

Back to all things Stones and Indian... For the last five years there's been a nightclub below the India Garden on Atwood St. ...Indian women... Stones requests... dancing... Brimful of Asha on the forty-five
[Edited by Highwire Rob]

Well, thank you for the kind words, but my mother never got to come home. But, she is out of her pain now. The last few years of her life were hell. I miss her, but I know it was for the best. Thanks again.

I have not been to Peter's since Pitt stadium had its last game (Win over Notre Dame!!). I always liked that place. Rob, I'll PM you my email, let me know when you are heading down again. I live about 15 minutes away. Do you remeber Zelda's and quarter beer night? That was a lot of fun back in the day. The place was so packed. Having to go to the bar and buying two bucks worth at a time. Trying to pick up chicks there was not so bad. Buy a girl a drink it only set you back a quarter. Being in my late 30's also we both saw the same. Oakland was a great place. Any kind of food or drink could be found within a few blocks.
4th November 2007 01:07 AM
robpop
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Brim on Asha - what a great pop tune.

I kinda differ - I couldn't believe how little Oakland and the Hill had changed in 20 years. East Liberty (and Reizenstein, where I went to school) - barely recognized the place.

The one thing that was always there and I never appreciated as a kid was the beauty of the whole place - I was walking around CMU around sundown, the Cathedral is right there, the hills, the view, Pittsburgh is one of the most beautiful and greatest cities in America.

Moonie, I agree with you that the place has not changed much visually. But, I quess I did not make my point clear (no booze all week). I was talking about the general atmoshere. Its really not the same.

http://www.choppedonion.com/id62.html
[Edited by robpop]
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)