ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Closing the British Tour - May 27, 1976 - Earl's Court, London
© 1976, 2002 The Associated Newspapers Archive
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones Inducted Into UK Rock 'N Roll Hall Of Fame! Return to archive
November 12th, 2004 05:25 AM
Honky Tonk Man Well, actually, the article is more about Madonna

------------------------------------------------------------
By SARA NATHAN

POP queen Madonna was inducted into the UK Music Hall of Fame last night.

But her jaw dropped when pals Gwyneth Paltrow and Stella McCartney aped her in a video.

Gwyneth, 32, appeared on screen at London’s Hackney Empire in Madge’s conical bra and basque, while designer Stella wore her pink Material Girl frock.

Stella, 33, admitted: “She looks a lot better in these dresses than we do.”

Madonna, 46, joked: “If someone said to me when I was growing up in Midwest America that one day I’d be married to a Brit, living in England and be inducted into the UK Hall of Fame, I’d have said, ‘B*****ks to that’.”

Others honoured included Robbie Williams.

THE HALL
OF FAME

THE Beatles, Elvis, Bob Marley, U2 and Madonna enter the Hall of Fame as special founding members — with others voted in by decade.

50s

WINNER
Cliff Richard

NOMINEES
Billie Holiday
Buddy Holly
Chuck Berry
Ella Fitzgerald
Frank Sinatra
Johnny Cash
Little Richard
Louis Armstrong
Miles Davis

60s

WINNER
Rolling Stones

NOMINEES
Beach Boys
Aretha Franklin
Bob Dylan
Diana Ross &
The Supremes
James Brown
Jimi Hendrix
The Kinks
Simon & Garfunkel
Velvet Underground

70s

WINNER
Queen

NOMINEES
Abba
Bee Gees
The Clash
David Bowie
Elton John
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Sex Pistols
Stevie Wonder

80s

WINNER
Michael Jackson

NOMINEES
Bruce Springsteen
Beastie Boys
George Michael
Guns N’Roses
Joy Division
Prince
Public Enemy
R.E.M
The Smiths

90s

WINNER
Robbie Williams

NOMINEES
Blur
Dr Dre
Missy Elliott
Nirvana
Oasis
Prodigy
Radiohead
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Spice Girls

[Edited by Honky Tonk Man]
November 12th, 2004 05:30 AM
Zeeta Glad about the Stones, but generally what a load of shite!

Glaring mistakes -

Queen over The Clash

Cliff Richard over Jonny Cash

Robbie Williams over, well frankly anyone!
November 12th, 2004 05:33 AM
Gazza Told ya theyd easily get more votes than anyone else! Oh ye of little faith....

No real surprises there in those 5 votes, although with the exception of the choice for the 60's (and even then its a toss up between the Stones and Dylan) the public's choices speak volumes for their lack of taste. Thats the popularity of "pop" music over quality though. Each to their own, I guess.

But Christ, how many solo records did Robbie Williams make in the 90's...one or two at the very most? And Cliff's first record came out in late '58. He's hardly a "50's artist" really.

[Edited by Gazza]
November 12th, 2004 05:45 AM
Honky Tonk Man In all honesty, Robbie winning the 90's category is the only REAL surprise to me. I think Queen and Wako Jacko were always going to wing the 70's and 80's categories respectively and every housewife over 50 adores Cliff. I guess a lot of housewives voted

But Robbie winning over Oasis and friggi'n Nirvana is sacrilegious, but as Gazza has stated on numerous occasions, the General Public have NO TASTE!

Alex
November 12th, 2004 05:53 AM
Zeeta Alex is it true that you voted for Cliff and Robbie, were gutted that Simon & Garfunkel didn't win the 60s, almost cried when the Bee Gees didn't win the 70s, wept when George Michael failed in the 80s and pooed your pants when the Spice Girls didn't clinch the 90s categories...oui?!?

November 12th, 2004 05:57 AM
F505 Cliff Richard? Queen? Michael Jackson? Robbie Williams?

I am proud I don't own any records of this bunch of wankers! The Stones are in very bad company.

November 12th, 2004 06:12 AM
Honky Tonk Man Well so what Zeeta? I confesss, YES I did vote for Cliff Richard and Robbie Williams!

I just love Cliffs rendition of The Lords Prayer and Rock DJ is an time favourite, but why no Take That???? Tell me why Zeeta, tell me why?

RELIGHT MY FIRE
COULD IT BE MAGIC
I WANT YOU BACK FOR GOOD

Are these not classics of the 90's???
November 12th, 2004 06:17 AM
Zeeta
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
I just love Cliffs rendition of The Lords Prayer

LOL! I find it so moving I can't watch it these days without weeping!

quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
TAKE THAT!

Take This!
November 12th, 2004 06:20 AM
egon cliff has a special place in my heart. (and no, that is not a joke)
November 12th, 2004 06:24 AM
Honky Tonk Man Oh pull the other one Zeeta! Just admit that in 1993 you were camped outside the ticket office with all the girls trying to get you tickets to see Gary, Robbie, Jason, Mark and Howard in concert!

November 12th, 2004 06:33 AM
Zeeta I just loved Howard's lisp and Jason's acne ridden face - they were my idols; my thoughts about Take That got me through many lonely nights!
Oh and the Smash Hits award ceremony in '94 is still the best day of my life, especially when they clinched the "Best Boy Band in the World" title!

That's my boys!
[Edited by Zeeta]
[Edited by Zeeta]
November 12th, 2004 06:35 AM
egon I saw cliff in concert about 3 or 4 times (no, i'm not drunk).
November 12th, 2004 06:36 AM
egon yet!
November 12th, 2004 07:27 AM
Gazza
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
In all honesty, Robbie winning the 90's category is the only REAL surprise to me.

Not to me. Most people who would vote for someone like Robbie Williams would be teenage girls. They simply arent old enough to remember any music prior to about the mid/late 90's and arent going to evaluate the guy's output on the criteria required (ie theyre voting for him also because of the songs they like from 2000 onwards as well).

Pointless getting agitated about it, really. The fact is that as far as entertainment is concerned - in any society, anything thats "culturally" good or significant is going to be over the heads of the majority of the general public who simply prefer something lightweight and disposable that doesnt require much effort. You know as well as I do that had there been a category for THIS decade, the winners would have been either Robbie Williams (because theyd have put him in that category instead of the 90s) or Westlife.
November 12th, 2004 07:29 AM
Gazza Zeeta - please dont spam my website wih photos of those fucksticks. Its a bit much just as I'm at my lunch, but at least its not Westlife!!

(Note to readers - the original pic posted above by Zeeta was of Take That, not the Stones. Hence my reaction!)
[Edited by Gazza]
November 12th, 2004 07:30 AM
Gazza
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Oh pull the other one Zeeta! Just admit that in 1993 you were camped outside the ticket office with all the girls trying to get you tickets to see Gary, Robbie, Jason, Mark and Howard in concert!

Alex, I find it very disturbing that you are able to rhyme off the names of the individual members so easily.....and I bet you didnt have to look it up either!
November 12th, 2004 07:32 AM
Zeeta
quote:
Gazza wrote:

The fact is that as far as entertainment is concerned - in any society, anything thats "culturally" good or significant is going to be over the heads of the majority of the general public who simply prefer something lightweight and disposable that doesnt require much effort.

Exactly mate - see the sickly series "Friends"
November 12th, 2004 07:33 AM
Zeeta
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Zeeta - please dont spam my website wih photos of those fucksticks. Its a bit much just as I'm at my lunch, but at least its not Westlife!!

OK I'll remove it!
November 12th, 2004 07:34 AM
Gazza nah its OK...everyone deserves to be scared!
November 12th, 2004 07:38 AM
Zeeta Thought you'd like its replacement!
November 12th, 2004 07:43 AM
Gazza

Ronnie and Jo collect the award on behalf of the Stones.
November 12th, 2004 07:44 AM
Gazza
quote:
Zeeta wrote:
Thought you'd like its replacement!

thats a boy band OK - OUR boys!

And as you can see by my avatar, any of Sebastian Kruger's work is always welcome here!
November 12th, 2004 07:53 AM
Honky Tonk Man Nope, I didn't have to look them up. I can give you their surnames, if you like Gazza?

Oh, I'm so glad it's Friday!

WOAHH, I'M SO GLAD IT'S FRIDAY
WOAHH, IM TOMORROW IS SATURDAY
TAKE MY HAND, I'LL MAKE IT THROUGH 'TILL MONDAY
WOAHH, I'M SO GLAD IT' FRIDAY
November 12th, 2004 08:20 AM
Gazza
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Nope, I didn't have to look them up. I can give you their surnames, if you like Gazza?

Nah. Anyway - Williams, Owen, Barlow, Donald, Orange.
Easy.
and call me a closet fan and I'll kick your arse!
November 12th, 2004 08:26 AM
moy

November 12th, 2004 08:35 AM
moy some more getty images and rex features
November 12th, 2004 11:31 AM
jb Disgraceful lack of respect by the Brits again...this is a real slap in the face to not only the band, but their fans as well.
November 12th, 2004 06:54 PM
Soldatti The real news here is that Queen not was a direct entry for the brits, they love that band very much.
November 12th, 2004 08:18 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:
Disgraceful lack of respect by the Brits again...this is a real slap in the face to not only the band, but their fans as well.

yeah..we voted the fuckers in. How embarrassing.

Scary thing is that if there was a similar vote in the US, youd have had the Beatles and Led Zep as founder members from the 60's and 70's with the general public voting for The Grateful Dead and Elton for those two decades