ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Closing the British Tour - May 27, 1976 - Earl's Court, London
© 1976, 2002 The Associated Newspapers Archive
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ballad of A Thin Man Return to archive
November 11th, 2004 02:41 PM
Saint Sway I've read in various Stones bios how Brian thought this song was about him, but I never really delved into the lyrics before other than the obvious chorus of "theres something happening / but you dont know what it is / do you Mr. Jones"

but I was listening closely today and it really could of been written specifically about Brian. The barbed lyrics really paint a tale of a paranoid character that has unfortunately fell out of the loop of whatever social circle he was once in. And it also seems like a commentary as to how the Stones - particularly Mick, Keith and Andrew - ganged up on and manipulated Brian and played on his insecurites

"you raise up your head/and you ask 'is this where it is?'/and somebody points to you and says "its his"/and you say ' whats mine?'/ and someboy else says 'where what is?'/and you say 'oh my god, am I here all alone?'

hmmmm......
November 12th, 2004 02:07 PM
jb Nice post!!!
November 12th, 2004 02:25 PM
nankerphelge Sure ain't about Taylor!!

HA!

Get it!
November 12th, 2004 04:03 PM
jpenn11 There's some stuff about this in Up and Down with the Rolling Stones.
November 12th, 2004 04:29 PM
kath i've always loved that last line..

"oh my gawd, am i here all alone?..cuz you KNOW something is happening here, but you don't know what it is

do you, mr. jones?"

incredible album.
November 12th, 2004 04:40 PM
Nasty Habits It makes some sense in hindsight, but considering the song was written in 1965 when Jones was still pretty well a full time Stone, I sincerely doubt Dylan would single Brian Jones out as the squarest man on Earth. Brian was just displaying typical narcissistic Stones mentality in assuming it was about him.
November 12th, 2004 08:34 PM
Gazza Thats what I think, too

Also, if Dylan was writing a song about him he wouldnt make it so bloody obvious to name the person in the song "Mr Jones".

Dylan use to tease Brian by greeting him with "Hi Brian - hows your paranoia?"
November 12th, 2004 10:47 PM
kath i never thought it was about brian. nor did i ever think "like a rollin' stone" ever had anything to do with the stones. it's folklore.

everything is except the story about keef's total blood transfusion/teeth growing back story. that's one's true.
November 13th, 2004 01:45 AM
F505
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Sure ain't about Taylor!!

HA!

Get it!

You're so right