ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Closing the British Tour - May 27, 1976 - Earl's Court, London
© 1976, 2002 The Associated Newspapers Archive
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Why stones didn't tour in 1980?????? Return to archive Page: 1 2
November 10th, 2004 04:29 PM
gustavobala in 1980, stones do emotional rescue, but not do a tour, why? someone knows?

we know who 1983-undercover and 1986-dirty work, they are fighting(jagger-richards)and the situation wasn't good, in 68 the problems seems like brian, and they don't do a toru too, but in 1980 i don't see problems, then why they don't tour????

i think the anothers news stones albuns they do a tour, right?

please help me to discover this mystery? thanxs....
November 10th, 2004 07:18 PM
Gazza Emotional Rescue was supposed to come out towards the end of 1979, but was delayed several times until June 1980. I have interviews with Mick around that time and he mentions that they had so many songs lying around, they intended going in and recording another album relatively quickly.

My guess is that maybe they would have toured had ER come out in time but by the time it was released, they thought it better to move on and make another record instead and then tour with THAT one - so we got Tattoo You within 14 months of Emotional Rescue.

And yeah, it was the first studio album since Beggars Banquet which they didnt promote on the road at ALL. (IORR wasnt immediately followed by a tour, but they went on the road 8 months later after theyd found a new guitarist and in which time had recorded most of Black and Blue.). of course, they didnt tour behind Undercover or Dirty Work either, but for different reasons.
November 10th, 2004 07:20 PM
glencar Didn't Fitzcarraldo have something to do with why they didn't tour?
November 10th, 2004 07:23 PM
Gazza well...Mick was doing Fitzcarraldo in early 1981, so I guess that may have been a reason too - by that time, theyd done some more recordings for Tattoo You.

Then Fitzcarraldo overran due to the various location problems and Mick had to pull out of the project as he had to get together with the Stones to finish the album and get ready for a tour.

November 10th, 2004 07:29 PM
glencar Yeah it all runs together in a haze these days...
November 10th, 2004 08:44 PM
Soldatti I can't believe the final result of ER, they had not less than 30 songs for the record and the worst 7-8 are there.
Another thing: I can't imagine a tour in 1980 with the Stones playing songs as Send It To Me, Indian Girl or ER.
November 10th, 2004 08:46 PM
glencar Loved Send It To Me at the time, less so now. It is funny how they end up with certain songs on an album but leave off treasures. How Honest Man got left off while Suck On My Jugular was put on VL is a mystery for the ages.
November 10th, 2004 09:04 PM
Gazza The Stones usually DONT leave off their best songs from recording sessions (they normally do make good choices), but I'd agree with both of your comments above.

Maybe they left off Honest Man as there were so many driving rockers on the album and Suck On the Jugular was different. That said, HM is better than most songs on the album (and it IS a good album) and SOTJ is one of the worst songs theyve ever deemed worthy of release.

When they toured with Tattoo You, Soldatti, they usually did five songs or so a night from that album (all the rockers on side one, basically - plus WOAF on the American leg only. Tops got played a couple of times early on). They only played two from ER - significantly enough, two very fast rockers which were played even faster than the studio versions (Shes So Cold, Let Me go)

Had they toured with ER, you could quite conceivably have seen them play Summer Romance, Where the Boys Go and Down in the Hole as well. Dance and All About You were played on future tours but whether theyd have been played on the stripped down line up they toured with in '81-82 I'm not so sure.
November 10th, 2004 09:12 PM
telecaster
quote:
Gazza wrote:
well...Mick was doing Fitzcarraldo in early 1981, so I guess that may have been a reason too - by that time, theyd done some more recordings for Tattoo You.

Then Fitzcarraldo overran due to the various location problems and Mick had to pull out of the project as he had to get together with the Stones to finish the album and get ready for a tour.

Gazza, have you ever seen the clips Mick did for Fitzcarraldo? Awesome. He and Jason Robards did a great job. Too bad they both couldn't finish

Mick did well on this one
November 10th, 2004 09:15 PM
Gazza Guess also they just wanted a funkier sound on ER than theyd done on Some Girls

Can you imagine instead a stripped down rootsy version of the ER album with this track listing (and thats not even counting the songs on TY that were recorded during these sessions..)

Lonely At The Top
Summer Romance
Sweet Home Chicago
Let Me Go
Gangsters Moll
Where The Boys Go
Down In The Hole
Shes So Cold
I Think I'm Goin' Mad
We Had It All

"Claudine" would also have fitted wonderfully. I know it seems to have been recorded during the SG sessions but it WAS slated for release on ER, but removed for legal reasons.
November 10th, 2004 09:19 PM
Gazza
quote:
telecaster wrote:

Gazza, have you ever seen the clips Mick did for Fitzcarraldo? Awesome. He and Jason Robards did a great job. Too bad they both couldn't finish

Mick did well on this one

I have yes, and I agree with you. He played Robards' simple minded younger brother Wilbur.

Theres a superb documentary of the making of Fitzcarraldo called "Burden of dreams" which features a clip or two from Mick's unused scenes. The finished film actually was pretty good, but the documentary is better, partly because some of the shit that went wrong in that film a Hollywood scriptwriter couldnt dream up. I'm amazed Werner Herzog didnt top himself before it was done.

If I remember right, Robards (who was the main character) took ill and had to leave the film and was replaced by Klaus Kinski. Mick wasn't replaced and they rewrote parts of the film to leave his character out.
[Edited by Gazza]
November 10th, 2004 09:24 PM
telecaster
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I have yes, and I agree with you. He played Robards' simple minded younger brother Wilbur.

Theres a superb documentary of the making of Fitzcarraldo called "Burden of dreams" which features a clip or two from Mick's unused scenes. The finished film actually was pretty good, but the documentary is better, partly because some of the shit that went wrong in that film a Hollywood scriptwriter couldnt dream up. I'm amazed Werner Herzog didnt top himself before it was done.

That is the documentary of which I speak. I can't believe Herzog did not kill Kinski on the spot.
The documentary is 10 times better than the movie

BTW-the most amazing triva ever: Jason Robards is the
person who struck out the words: "Air Raid Pearl Harbor-This Is No Drill"

He was a navy striker on 12-7-41 at Pearl Harbor
November 10th, 2004 09:43 PM
Bloozehound my gran daddy was at pearl harbor the day it happened

he was part of a Navy mine sweeping unit

had to have a plate put in his head, recieved a purple heart, he never was the same since, they tell me

but I love him, he's a good ole boy
November 10th, 2004 09:53 PM
Bloozehound LOL

sorry dudes

totally off the subject
November 11th, 2004 01:09 AM
Sir Stonesalot BH...My gramps was on the Nevada. He was part of the ships band, and also the swing band. From what he tells me, they were quite the hot shit band. Always in big demand. They had flown to San Francisco for a USO show on Dec. 5th. Good timing.

2 guys who had battle station with him were killed at Pearl. Everyone else was wounded. He was aboard for D-Day, Iwo Jima, and Okinawa though. He said Okinawa was hell. Japanese planes were raining down on them. He said that the ship took 23 Kamakazi hits, and they downed about 75 more. In one day.

He also said that the Nevada could not fire a full broadside because the ship would roll over. Crazy big guns.

Our Gramps saved the world.
November 11th, 2004 01:54 AM
gypsy My Grandpa served in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. He was a cook...a damn good one.

November 11th, 2004 04:43 AM
Mathijs The Stones didn't tour 1980 as, in Bill Wyman's own words "the band literally didn't exist anymore in 1980". Mick and Charlie were drinking quite heavily, Wood was a base coke addict and Richards was deep into coke and whisky in order to battle his heroin addiction. Nobody thought that touring was a good idea, and Bill and Charlie were considering to quit the Stones.

Mathijs
November 11th, 2004 04:45 AM
Gazza no wonder it took them ages to finish Emotional Rescue!
November 11th, 2004 08:56 AM
gustavobala sometime i lost ehit this, then , please, help me:

iorr - it's only rock and roll

er - emotional rescue

hm - honest man

sotj - suck on the jugular

woaf - waiting on the friend

sg - some girls

btw - by the way?????

bh - bloozehound???????

is this, i am right????
November 11th, 2004 08:58 AM
gustavobala what's "dunno" ???????
November 11th, 2004 09:06 AM
Gazza "DONT KNOW"

your other answers were all correct. well done!
November 11th, 2004 09:10 AM
gustavobala ohhh thanxs man, sometimes some word aren't in dicionary

thanxs everyone to puts your opinion...you know so much!
November 11th, 2004 09:18 AM
jb When was the exzct release date of the last good Sgones album, Tatto You?
November 11th, 2004 09:49 AM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
When was the exzct release date of the last good Sgones album, Tatto You?

November 30th , 1974

Sassy ! ™
November 11th, 2004 09:52 AM
jb
quote:
Joey wrote:

November 30th , 1974

Sassy ! ™

Funny!@!!
November 11th, 2004 10:02 AM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:
When was the exzct release date of the last good Sgones album, Tatto You?

august 1981..probably around the end of the month if my memory is right
November 11th, 2004 10:05 AM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:

august 1981..probably around the end of the month if my memory is right

And the tour started in Septembe if I recall?
November 11th, 2004 10:07 AM
Gazza 25th to be exact...one of the shows treed here a couple of weeks ago

with a warm show in a club in Worcester, Ma on the 14th
November 11th, 2004 10:09 AM
telecaster
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
The Stones didn't tour 1980 as, in Bill Wyman's own words "the band literally didn't exist anymore in 1980". Mick and Charlie were drinking quite heavily, Wood was a base coke addict and Richards was deep into coke and whisky in order to battle his heroin addiction. Nobody thought that touring was a good idea, and Bill and Charlie were considering to quit the Stones.

Mathijs

Mathijs: Did Mick drink alot? When they were in Chicago
the last tour Mick went to Buddy Guy's Legends blues bar
and they said he drank tea. It was between shows so who knows

I knew Charlie & Keith drink like...well, me..but I wasn't sure about Mick

Help me understand this
November 11th, 2004 10:14 AM
jb Amen mahtjis=================>
Page: 1 2