ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Closing the British Tour - May 27, 1976 - Earl's Court, London
© 1976, 2002 The Associated Newspapers Archive
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da voted worst song (NSC) Return to archive
November 10th, 2004 01:28 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da voted worst song

The Beatles' 1968 song Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da has been voted the worst song ever in an online poll.

The track was on the band's White Album - which is often regarded as one of the best albums ever made reports BBC online.

It was rated as being worse than former footballer Paul Gascoigne's Fog On The Tyne in a Mars survey of 1,000 people.

In third place was Meat Loaf's 1993 hit I'll Do Anything For Love, while 5ive, Cliff Richard, Vanilla Ice and Steps were also in the top 10.

Three of the songs on the list are sung by footballers, including the 1987 song Diamond Lights by Glenn Hoddle and Chris Waddle.

Liverpool's Anfield Rap, featuring John Barnes, also makes the top 10.

Ian Edwards, lecturer at the Academy of Contemporary Music, said: "Admit it or not, most of these are songs that we liked when they first came out.

"That is the nature of pop music as a part of fashion. Songs are popular at the time, but times change and often this results in embarrassing additions to your record collections. It is interesting to note that they were nearly all hits."
November 10th, 2004 01:29 PM
gypsy That song makes me think of that show with CORKY!
November 10th, 2004 01:31 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
gypsy wrote:
That song makes me think of that show with CORKY!

Circus Boy? Maybe that show's a bit before your time. Mickey Dolenz was in it.
November 10th, 2004 01:31 PM
LadyJane "Life Goes On", wasn't it?

LJ.
November 10th, 2004 01:33 PM
gypsy Yes, LJ, that is the show. Poor Corky. MaxLugar makes fun of him.
November 10th, 2004 01:33 PM
jb http://www.jumptheshark.com/l/lifegoeson.htm
November 10th, 2004 01:37 PM
gypsy I remember one episode where Corky had a girlfriend (she had Down's too, of course), and they were playing footsies underneath the dinner table. My sister and I couldn't quit laughing...and my Dad got all serious and gave us a talk about how we shouldn't make fun of retarded people. But that just made it harder to try and stifle the laughter during the rest of the show.
November 10th, 2004 01:41 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

In third place was Meat Loaf's 1993 hit I'll Do Anything For Love,

Well, they got that more or less right. That song sux.
November 10th, 2004 01:43 PM
gypsy My Dad also told us that if we kept laughing, we'd have retarded children. Maybe that's why I don't want kids...in the back of my mind, that seed has been planted...and I am afraid that I'll give birth to a total joey, err, I mean Corky.
November 10th, 2004 01:50 PM
jb
quote:
gypsy wrote:
My Dad also told us that if we kept laughing, we'd have retarded children. Maybe that's why I don't want kids...in the back of my mind, that seed has been planted...and I am afraid that I'll give birth to a total joey, err, I mean Corky.

When I was 11, there was a popular cereal called "Freakies" and the commercial had a very catctchy song called "We are the freakies, yeh, yeh ,yeh..etc...I use to sing this in school and act retarded...One of the teachers, a Ms. Nelson, got so angry at me that she pulled me by the hair out of my seat....I pretended to have a seizure and fell to the grpound and made spastic like motions....I told her I was going to sue her...
November 10th, 2004 04:37 PM
kath born to be a lawyer AND a hypocondriac....
November 10th, 2004 05:05 PM
gypsy jb, that is a touching story. I, for one, am glad that you haven't changed one bit over the years.
November 10th, 2004 05:07 PM
nankerphelge The Freakies -- I remember them -- Boss Moss, Snorkledorf.

God the '70s are just a horrid nightmare!
November 10th, 2004 05:10 PM
gypsy I don't remember "The Freakies." Was it really early in the '70's?
November 10th, 2004 07:57 PM
glencar Yes. I remember it vaguely. Just before Pop Rocks.
November 10th, 2004 07:58 PM
glencar Oh & Obladiobladaa is the worst song ever. The only one that comes close is that "Let Him In" song also by Macca.
November 10th, 2004 08:59 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da voted worst song

This poll is true at least...