ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Closing the British Tour - May 27, 1976 - Earl's Court, London
© 1976, 2002 The Associated Newspapers Archive
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Mick Jagger on Live Aid in 1985 Return to archive Page: 1 2
November 9th, 2004 07:27 PM
il0vemusic Who is the biggest Mick Jagger fan?! I AM! I love his music so much, especially his stuff from the 80s. Man I really really like the song "Just Another Night." It's definitely one of my favorites!

I know that he performed my most favorite song on Live Aid, which was just THE BIGGEST ROCK CONCERT EVER. He also performed with Tina Turner (that's so awesome) singing "State of Shock" and "It's only Rock and Roll". He also sang "Miss You" and I totally love that song too.

The DVD for Live Aid is coming out on November 16th here in the US and I'm so excited! It was released earlier in the UK (so not fair) but it doesn't matter because it's coming out soon! Who is going to get it and watch Mick Jagger's part over and over again! I am!
November 9th, 2004 07:37 PM
KeithRichardsgrl Sorry i like keith! I see your new on the board welcome
November 9th, 2004 07:48 PM
caro The paths of the internet are inscrutable -- there must be a link to Rocks Off in some strange place. Anyway, welcome ILOvemusic!
November 9th, 2004 08:34 PM
iluvmickjagger07 yay, i assume youre a teenage girl crazy about mick jagger just like me. theres quite a few of us here now. with your help we could take over this board. j/k thats impossible. anyway youre not the biggest mick jagger fan, gorda is and im his 2nd biggest fan
November 9th, 2004 08:45 PM
Soldatti Welcome (I guess)
November 10th, 2004 03:00 PM
Saint Sway Live Aid is a great document about what had happened to the Stones in the 80s and more closely, its a perfect snap shot into what polar opposites Mick & Keef are.

its Mick & Keefs personalities, style and attitude captured in a nutshell all right there on film

you've got Mick going for the jugular of the pop charts with an opportunistic and quickly thrown together cheese video of him and his celeb pal Bowie dancing around together

and theres Mick all decked out in flashy silk shirts prancing around to his pop solo tunes while splicing in some Vegas style reworked Stones hits for the masses

and then you have Keef. Looking elegantly wasted. Always the rebel pirate with his dark eyelids and dangling cigarette. Not giving a rats ass about the moment. A picture of cocky rock and roll bravado strumming defiantly away on some Dylan classics while the rest of the pop world divas scramble behind the curtain for the big "We Are The World" finale.

At Live Aid, Mick is all about please love me, everyone. While Keith is all about 'fuck you' laid back cool.
November 10th, 2004 03:53 PM
F505 Mick was during Live Aid at the lowest point in his career imo. He was trying to be the new Michael Jackson and wiped his ass off with the Stones in these days. His performance with Tina Turner was really dramatic. To be honest: Keith and Ronnie were not much better and raped Bob's set.
November 10th, 2004 04:12 PM
KeithRichardsgrl
quote:
iluvmickjagger07 wrote:
yay, i assume youre a teenage girl crazy about mick jagger just like me. theres quite a few of us here now. with your help we could take over this board. j/k thats impossible. anyway youre not the biggest mick jagger fan, gorda is and im his 2nd biggest fan

Gorda is'nt a fan she's stupid lol, What about me i like mick jagger too.
November 10th, 2004 04:19 PM
KeithRichardsgrl Well mick during the live aid wasn't that great, That wasn't one of the best thing's he has done.
November 10th, 2004 04:21 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

At Live Aid, Mick is all about please love me, everyone. While Keith is all about 'fuck you' laid back cool.

Oh yeah? So what was Keith doing at Live Aid in the first place?
Except playing the part of a cool guitarist too wasted to play a recognisable song...

In truth, he did exactly the same as Mick did at that concert: working on his image more than music.

I'd like to mention to the sourpusses here that the Mick/Tina performance was steaming hot. It rocked, despite the glittering shirts. Which btw Mick has been wearing at Stones concerts for years anyway. So why should it bother us if he dresses the same for his solo ventures?

As for the Bowie/Mick duet, it was a success, the only #1 single Mick had in his solo career. Interesting. At least there are people out there who don't feel scared of two guys dancing together.
In fact, 1985-6 seemed a time where Mick's solo career would take off. It didn't because the 2nd album sold notably less well than the first, and that none were on the same sales level as Stones albums, but none could have predicted it at the time of Live Aid.

So all the bitching about Mick in the '80s gets tiring. It sounds too much like sour grapes, repeated over and over. Yes, he turned his back on the Stones and that sucked. It threatened the existence of the band. But to pretend that it was a personal disgrace is just so much revisionnist BS.
November 10th, 2004 04:21 PM
F505
quote:
KeithRichardsgrl wrote:
Well mick during the live aid wasn't that great, That wasn't one of the best thing's he has done.

you are a connoisseur!
November 10th, 2004 04:22 PM
Monkey Woman Or maybe she's learning to act as a Keith fan?
November 10th, 2004 04:24 PM
F505
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
Or maybe she's learning to act as a Keith fan?

November 10th, 2004 04:26 PM
KeithRichardsgrl
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:

Nooo, I like keith!!!! Im like keith more than i do mick.
November 10th, 2004 04:27 PM
KeithRichardsgrl
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:

Nooo, I like keith!!!! I like keith more than i do mick.
[Edited by KeithRichardsgrl]
November 10th, 2004 04:36 PM
Monkey Woman It's OK, girl. I was just teasing you... and some big boys too.
November 10th, 2004 04:45 PM
KeithRichardsgrl lolol
November 10th, 2004 07:13 PM
Gazza
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:

Oh yeah? So what was Keith doing at Live Aid in the first place?
Except playing the part of a cool guitarist too wasted to play a recognisable song...

In truth, he did exactly the same as Mick did at that concert: working on his image more than music.

I'd like to mention to the sourpusses here that the Mick/Tina performance was steaming hot. It rocked, despite the glittering shirts. Which btw Mick has been wearing at Stones concerts for years anyway. So why should it bother us if he dresses the same for his solo ventures?

As for the Bowie/Mick duet, it was a success, the only #1 single Mick had in his solo career. Interesting. At least there are people out there who don't feel scared of two guys dancing together.
In fact, 1985-6 seemed a time where Mick's solo career would take off. It didn't because the 2nd album sold notably less well than the first, and that none were on the same sales level as Stones albums, but none could have predicted it at the time of Live Aid.

So all the bitching about Mick in the '80s gets tiring. It sounds too much like sour grapes, repeated over and over. Yes, he turned his back on the Stones and that sucked. It threatened the existence of the band. But to pretend that it was a personal disgrace is just so much revisionnist BS.

agreed. Keith and Woody (but especially Keith) were a fucking embarrassment at Live Aid. Their entire "debauched, stoned rock star" trip was completely out of synch with what the event stood for. Even Woody admitted afterwards "we came off looking like idiots". It was so cringeworthy, I watched the performance from behind the settee.

as far as being "cool" goes, Keith didnt even know anything about the show being on until Woody told him 2 days before it that Dylan had asked him to play at it.

Mick put in a bloody good, professional performance on the day. Dont see why he should be slammed for doing so, especially when Keith was barely capable of playing a note.

We all would have preferred to have seen a Stones performance that day instead of a solo Mick and a couple of pissed-up cameos. As the Stones were all in NY that summer recording, the fact that it was beneath them to put their bickering aside for a good cause (and of course prove to the biggest TV audience in history who the greatest band of all time was) was shameful and petty.

They didnt play it as a band basically because Keith said no, saying he "didnt trust big charity events". Yet he turned up to 'play' with Dylan instead!

Mick was backed by Hall & Oates' band during that performance. In retrospect, he should have performed their hit "Out of touch" with them that night and dedicated it to Keith!
[Edited by Gazza]
November 10th, 2004 07:17 PM
T&A Gary:

But to be fair to R, K & Bob - they couldn't fekkin' hear themselves - monitors weren't working and they had Quincy Jones and his all-lame We Are the World act tuning up directly behind them. I didn't think it was all that bad of a performance to be honest. The rehearsals are pretty cool, too...
November 10th, 2004 07:20 PM
Gazza I agree with that entirely, Tod - but at least Bob was on Planet Earth that night. Keith wasnt!
November 10th, 2004 07:28 PM
T&A
quote:
Gazza wrote:
at least Bob was on Planet Earth that night.

Maybe THAT was the problem; he usually isn't.
November 10th, 2004 08:38 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Gazza wrote:
They didnt play it as a band basically because Keith said no, saying he "didnt trust big charity events". Yet he turned up to 'play' with Dylan instead!

I can't believe that, it's true?
November 10th, 2004 08:48 PM
Gazza apparently so.

Made a slight error above which needs correcting. Keith DID know about the event happening that saturday. Until Gary Shaffer (who did a lot of booking arrangements for Dylan)contacted Woody a couple of days before the show and mentioned it to him, Woody claims he didnt know the show was taking place.

Its a bit odd also that the Stones didnt play the Concert for New York MSG show as a band in October 2001. Again Keith showed up the day before at rehearsals and they managed to fit him into the show. At least this time he played WITH Mick. It was great fun and a nice moment but if theyd got their act together in time there was no reason why they couldnt have performed that show with the Stones. Another missed opportunity and IMO considering how good that city has been to the Stones, a poor choice.
[Edited by Gazza]
November 10th, 2004 08:49 PM
glencar Let's Work was the death knell for Mick's solo career. Oy!
November 11th, 2004 10:56 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Gazza wrote:

agreed. Keith and Woody (but especially Keith) were a fucking embarrassment at Live Aid. Their entire "debauched, stoned rock star" trip was completely out of synch with what the event stood for.

[Edited by Gazza]

but thats EXACTLY what made it so cool. Keef & Woody were the antithesis of the save the world, goody, goody 80s pop stars.

Sure you can easily say that Mick gave the better performance. No one in the world is better than Mick on the big stage and he certainly proved it that day. But it really doesnt matter. My point is that rock and roll isnt supposed to be a Sally Struthers telethon. R&R is sex, drugs, danger and anarchy. And the Stones defined that more than anyone else. And on that day Keith showed up with a little reminder that R&R is still bad ass and cool.

Keith is the James Dean of rock and roll. The original bad boy. Always the coolest cat to swagger into the room. No matter how well he performs - or how poorly - he will always be cooler than the other side of the pillow. And at Live Aid he proved that.
November 11th, 2004 11:09 AM
Gazza he can be as bad-ass cool as he wants. Part of the reason why I like him.

But if I go to a concert the very least I expect is for him to be able to PLAY.

the two arent incompatible.

PS : Brando was cool long before James Dean was. And badder..lol
[Edited by Gazza]
November 11th, 2004 11:13 AM
Bloozehound James Dean wanted to suck Brando's cock
November 11th, 2004 11:15 AM
jb Tina Turner is an overrated jack-ass who doesn't even live in America anymore. Her performance with jagger was nothing short of humiliating to any real Stones fan....As for Keith, Woody, and Dylan, so dreadful as to be laughable...Dylan has no ability to hold an audience(simply boring) and the three of them made complete asses of themselves...
November 11th, 2004 12:03 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
Tina Turner is an overrated jack-ass who doesn't even live in America anymore. Her performance with jagger was nothing short of humiliating to any real Stones fan....As for Keith, Woody, and Dylan, so dreadful as to be laughable...Dylan has no ability to hold an audience(simply boring) and the three of them made complete asses of themselves...

Stay away from " THE WHO'S " set on THIS one .

Nasty !

Beef Wacky ! ™
November 11th, 2004 04:54 PM
monkeyman62 I really thought mick was great at live aid
the energy was fantastic, mick should have been on last
not dylan , dylan brought the energy level way down
a real party pooper, keith and ron didnt help matters any
Page: 1 2