ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Closing the British Tour - May 27, 1976 - Earl's Court, London
© 1976, 2002 The Associated Newspapers Archive
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith Richards & Johnny thunders Return to archive
November 8th, 2004 10:29 PM
Vinyl kills Did these two ever hang out? I know Thunders worshipped Keef. Does anybody know if Keef had a opinion on him???

Thanks!
November 8th, 2004 11:51 PM
stonedinaustralia well it wasn't a specific reference to johnny t. but i'm always mindful of keith's comments (paraphrased)that he's (musically) "never been much interested in white guys who are ripping off white guys who ripped off black guys"

cf. Aerosmith

having said that the Dolls did go to the mother lode to some degree e.g. chuck berry/muddy waters but their's was a sound much influenced by the stones (not to mention image/attitude)

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
November 8th, 2004 11:54 PM
Vinyl kills Haha, yeah I think I read something like that somewhere. Bit of a shame...
November 9th, 2004 06:06 AM
caro Not sure, but I think it was Bockris who wrote that David Johansen met Keith on the street soon after Johnny Thunder's death. Keith came to shake his hand & said something like "Hang in there baby, cause we know how you feel". So probably he didn't totally dislike the Dolls.
November 9th, 2004 08:57 AM
mac_daddy that was bockris who wrote that (or something like it)...

speaking of bockris - that pic that is the header today is the one from the cover of the keef bio (or it is one from the same series of shots). who is keef biting..?
November 9th, 2004 11:57 AM
Vinyl kills Who is Brockis?? An author?

Thanks.
November 9th, 2004 12:17 PM
caro >Who is Brockis?? An author?

Yes, Victor Bockris -- he wrote a Keith bio. I would've typed the bit about Johansen, but I don't own the book. It's only a few lines long anyway.
November 9th, 2004 01:27 PM
Vinyl kills Thanks alot. I will check it out.
November 9th, 2004 06:45 PM
jpenn11 I think they met a bunch of musicians when they went over for the punk tour, including the Stones and Clapton (interesting discussions about various substances?). There are reports of Thunders going to London and meeting musicians in the 60s too.

I have a vague recollection of reading of MJ considering signing the Heartbreakers to the Stones' label.

November 9th, 2004 11:02 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
caro wrote:
Not sure, but I think it was Bockris who wrote that David Johansen met Keith on the street soon after Johnny Thunder's death. Keith came to shake his hand & said something like "Hang in there baby, cause we know how you feel". So probably he didn't totally dislike the Dolls.

hate to be pedantic pain in the ass caro 9but i can't help myself)

it was Jerry Nolan he spoke to
November 10th, 2004 01:38 AM
mac_daddy i knew it wasn't buster, but i didn't have the time to look it up. good one, sia!
November 10th, 2004 01:47 AM
Vinyl kills [/quote]I have a vague recollection of reading of MJ considering signing the Heartbreakers to the Stones' label.
[/quote]

Now that would have been something.
November 10th, 2004 05:10 AM
caro
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

hate to be pedantic pain in the ass caro 9but i can't help myself)

it was Jerry Nolan he spoke to

Oops -- sorry for being an inaccurate pain in the ass!
November 10th, 2004 10:20 PM
jpenn11 On another board, someone posted that on the Hubert Sumlin album both Keith Richards and David Johansen perform. Don't recall whether it's on the same songs though.