ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006
¡ Gracias Stoneslib!
Petco Park, San Diego, CA - November 11, 2005
© 2005 Harold Colson aka Stoneslib
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Let it go after a rock deity dies (nsc) Return to archive
November 11th, 2005 10:42 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Let it go after a rock deity dies

By PAT CLARK
BEE SCENE EDITOR
November 11, 2005, 06:50:30 AM PST

It sounded wrong from the moment I read that Paul Rodgers — former lead singer of Bad Company — was taking over Freddie Mercury's vocal duties as the new Queen frontman, albeit billed as Queen + Paul Rodgers.
Just like it sounded wrong that ex-Cult singer Ian Astbury was stepping into Jim Morrison's shoes to perform classic Doors songs on tour with Ray Manzarek and Robby Krieger.

And just like it sounded wrong when INXS announced that it was going to replace Michael Hutchence with the victor of a reality TV contest.

Ick, ick and eeew, ICK.

Of course, it wouldn't be the first time a band found a replacement and soldiered on after the death of its frontman. And it's been done darn successfully — look at AC/DC, for instance. Brian Johnson took over the frontman duties after founding singer Bon Scott's death in 1980 and the band went on to huge success.

But Bon Scott died before AC/DC's seminal "Back in Black" was released. Despite the tragedy of his passing, he hardly had reached the icon status of a Freddie Mercury or a Jim Morrison.

And Michael Hutchence? Well, INXS is like a slice out of my college years, so I admit that's a completely personal thing.

A lot of people with rather good television taste urged me to watch "Rock Star: INXS." Everyone said the show was a ton of fun, and I believe them. But even though I kept telling myself to tune in, not once did I remember to do it. Attribute it to my subconscious knowing that a little piece of my heart died along with Michael Hutchence. It hurt to know his bandmates had reduced his worth to a TV talent contest.

It's gnatty stuff, really, replacing a deceased frontman. Sometimes, it can't be done. Sometimes, it just shouldn't.

When Kurt Cobain died, the surviving members of Nirvana didn't look in the rock star yellow pages for a replacement. Cobain was Nirvana and certainly couldn't be replaced. The same could be said — well, should be, anyway — of Mercury and Morrison.

If the surviving band members want to keep playing music for a living, they should give it a go by forming a new band with a new name — a real new name that isn't just for the sake of semantics or legalities.

And they shouldn't be doing it just to jump on the retro-act gravy train that's been raking in the top concert grosses the past few years.

Dave Grohl shed his Nirvana skin after Cobain died and his Foo Fighters have been a true rock 'n' roll success — despite the ridiculous name.

No matter how talented the musicians are from classic rock bands like Queen and The Doors, without the leaders who wrote the lyrics and put their indelible imprint on a bastion of beloved songs, reuniting and going back out on tour is more sad than enticing.

And finding some guy who's voice simply meets octave-range standards to regurgitate the beloved hits that their original singers made legendary is insulting to the memory of those icons.

As for INXS, no, Michael Hutchence wasn't an icon. And give the refashioned group props for recording new songs instead of just riding on the backs of the old ones.

But Hutchence did die a tragic death. The least his bandmates could have done was retire the name.

November 12th, 2005 06:58 AM
corgi37 I saw the clip for INXS's new song. Not bad at all. I never liked them, but its not too bad.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)