ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006
¡ Gracias Stoneslib!
Petco Park, San Diego, CA - November 11, 2005
© 2005 Harold Colson aka Stoneslib
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Santana Style Keith album? Return to archive
November 7th, 2005 07:38 PM
Neocon I was thinking maybe the reason Keith didn't come up with that many song idea for a Bigger Bang may be because he saving the songs for a Santana style guest album. Maybe Steve Earle, Peter Wolf, Lou Reed, Elisha Keys, Macy Grey, Norah Jones, AC/DC and Mick Talyor....... Thoughts?
November 7th, 2005 07:46 PM
Gazza Slim going on none, I would think

Imagine a Keith/Lou Reed duet..Jesus

Love 'em both but it would be like listening to two guys eating gravel and frogs...
November 7th, 2005 07:51 PM
Bloozehound I've been saying for some time now that Keith should to hook up with Dylan, Willie and Merle and do the supergroup thing

call themselves The Old Farts

w/ album called "Fartin' in the Wind"

November 7th, 2005 08:20 PM
Neocon Yea, but Mick tried with Lenny Kravitz and Rob Thomas. I guess things didn't go to well.

Maybe a Dylan, Keith, Tom Waits and Lou Reed Doowop group?

Serously, I'm not so sure we'll hear many new Keith songs in the future. I hope he comes up with some ideas that we get to hear. I'm not betting on the guy living to much longer.

Can you imagine a world where the best you could look forward to is new Mick Jagger albums, not even 5 or so keith songs like we have on a Bigger Bang. We should maybe consider our selves lucky. As another famous guitarist said who put together a silly super group "we're going to the end of the line."
November 7th, 2005 08:31 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
Neocon wrote:
I was thinking maybe the reason Keith didn't come up with that many song idea for a Bigger Bang may be because he saving the songs for a Santana style guest album. Maybe Steve Earle, Peter Wolf, Lou Reed, Elisha Keys, Macy Grey, Norah Jones, AC/DC and Mick Talyor....... Thoughts?

thanks, I needed the laugh!!

November 7th, 2005 09:06 PM
M.O.W.A.T.
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Slim going on none, I would think

Imagine a Keith/Lou Reed duet..Jesus

Love 'em both but it would be like listening to two guys eating gravel and frogs...

or for that matter a Keith-style Travelling Wilburies:

Keith, Tom Waits, Bob Dylan and Neil Young! ---> YIKES!
November 7th, 2005 11:56 PM
The Wick
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
I've been saying for some time now that Keith should to hook up with Dylan, Willie and Merle and do the supergroup thing

call themselves The Old Farts

w/ album called "Fartin' in the Wind"

Blooze is the beacon. Still laughing at this one. Please God, no fucking wank stained duets album. Santana's new albums sound like total shite.
November 8th, 2005 12:31 AM
pdog Man are we bored or what?
November 8th, 2005 04:33 AM
IanBillen
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Again how do we know Keith didn't come up with many ideas? From what I saw on the DVD preview they were both writing together. Speaking of ideas it was Keiths idea to have Mick play drums while he doubled on bass in order to improvise against what the Rolling Stones normal writing process is in order to get the tunes rolling in the first place. Watch the preview and they clearly explain this. And the rest of the people on the DVD preview said the two worked as a team more so on this album than in a long long time. It was even stated the two "joined forces" more so this time in order to produce the great album A Bigger Bang is. How many times can we go over it? Besides Keith came up with what many (not necessarily me but I do see their point) would argue to be the best song on the entire album....Rough Justice. Isn't that in itself worth something credible?

OK,
Let us just say Keith didn't come up with a single song on his own. Just for the sake of arguement because we all know he came up with at least a good handfull but let's just say Mick wrote every single song for the most part. That STILL does not discredit Keith Richards as a crucial ingredient to The Rolling Stones song writing process. Why? Just look how much better and more consistant those songs that you claim Mick wrote all of are than on a Mick Jagger solo effort. So if you look at it that way Mick needs Keith to work with in order for Mick to be his very best when it comes to writing a tune.
The proof is in the pudding. Geez compare Goddess in The doorway to A Bigger Bang. Keith writing with Mick is sure doing something bec ause they just put out arguably the best album they have done in almost 25 years.

So Keith is STILL as crucial as ever no matter how you look at it.

?Neocon where are you?

Ian

November 8th, 2005 04:17 PM
Neocon Ian, I've been waiting for more info on who wrote what before starting that thread again. It can be pretty volatile, like the Paris thread. You want to get your ducks lined up. The only new thing I've learned are that Mick came up with the riff to "Rain Fall Down."

Let me review though for your sake:

1. Rough Justic: Keith had the riff down and some barnyard lyrics and finishied it with Mick. (Source: Music Connection Magazine) Conjecture is that Keith did some additional lyrics and melody "I don't want no confrontation"

2. Let Me Down Slow: Mick came up with the basic song, keith came up with the decening chorus.

3. It Won't take Long: No info. Speculation about the Gimme Shelter sound strongly suggests Keith music. Words suggest mostly Mick.

4. Rain Fall Down: I found some online info that Mick came up with the riff. Very Mick. Keith may have thrown in a clanky riff.

5. Streets of Love: "A Mick Tour Deforce, We were saying you have to take it up and down because it sounds standard." Source: (guitar Magazine)

6. She Saw Me Coming: Conjecture is that Keith came up with the riff and they did some words and melody together.

7. Back of My Hand: Mick already had the slide riff and a few words to the chorus when he showed it to Keith. Keith was thinking, Muddy Water... Prison songs. Sources: Q Magazine, Music Connection, Guitar Magazine.

8. Biggest Mistake: No info. Conjecture is that it's mostly Mick words and verses and maybe a Keith chorus.

9. This Place in Empty: Keith wrote it about feeling lonely when Patti was away. It's all Keith, many sources, like Guitar Magazine.

10. Oh No Not You Again: Seems like mostly Mick words and Keith says it was "Patchwork." Source: Guitar Magazine. Some indication that Mick took more than a comfortable amount of this from Dave Stewarts song. Seems like Keith and Ronnie helped define some of the pounding riffs and leads.

11. Dangerous Beauty: Common sense suggests the slowed down "You Got Me Rocking" Riff is Keith idea. The Chorus may have been Keith and the words were likely largely Micks.

12. Laugh I Nearly Died: No info, most feel it's all Mick.

13. Sweet Neocon: Keith and Mick have Made it clear it is Micks words. Some feel the music was developed with Mick on drum and Keith on Guitar, this is conjecture.

14. Look What the Cat Dragged in: Common sense suggests INXS helped with this song, and then inspiration from Paint it Black and Street Fighting Man.

15. Driving to Fast: No info found. Most speculate it basically Mick

16. Infamy: Pretty much Keith. Source: Guitar Magazine

quote:
IanBillen wrote:

November 8th, 2005 10:43 PM
IanBillen
quote:
Neocon wrote:
Ian, I've been waiting for more info on who wrote what before starting that thread again. It can be pretty volatile, like the Paris thread. You want to get your ducks lined up. The only new thing I've learned are that Mick came up with the riff to "Rain Fall Down."

Let me review though for your sake:

1. Rough Justic: Keith had the riff down and some barnyard lyrics and finishied it with Mick. (Source: Music Connection Magazine) Conjecture is that Keith did some additional lyrics and melody "I don't want no confrontation"

2. Let Me Down Slow: Mick came up with the basic song, keith came up with the decening chorus.

3. It Won't take Long: No info. Speculation about the Gimme Shelter sound strongly suggests Keith music. Words suggest mostly Mick.

4. Rain Fall Down: I found some online info that Mick came up with the riff. Very Mick. Keith may have thrown in a clanky riff.

5. Streets of Love: "A Mick Tour Deforce, We were saying you have to take it up and down because it sounds standard." Source: (guitar Magazine)

6. She Saw Me Coming: Conjecture is that Keith came up with the riff and they did some words and melody together.

7. Back of My Hand: Mick already had the slide riff and a few words to the chorus when he showed it to Keith. Keith was thinking, Muddy Water... Prison songs. Sources: Q Magazine, Music Connection, Guitar Magazine.

8. Biggest Mistake: No info. Conjecture is that it's mostly Mick words and verses and maybe a Keith chorus.

9. This Place in Empty: Keith wrote it about feeling lonely when Patti was away. It's all Keith, many sources, like Guitar Magazine.

10. Oh No Not You Again: Seems like mostly Mick words and Keith says it was "Patchwork." Source: Guitar Magazine. Some indication that Mick took more than a comfortable amount of this from Dave Stewarts song. Seems like Keith and Ronnie helped define some of the pounding riffs and leads.

11. Dangerous Beauty: Common sense suggests the slowed down "You Got Me Rocking" Riff is Keith idea. The Chorus may have been Keith and the words were likely largely Micks.

12. Laugh I Nearly Died: No info, most feel it's all Mick.

13. Sweet Neocon: Keith and Mick have Made it clear it is Micks words. Some feel the music was developed with Mick on drum and Keith on Guitar, this is conjecture.

14. Look What the Cat Dragged in: Common sense suggests INXS helped with this song, and then inspiration from Paint it Black and Street Fighting Man.

15. Driving to Fast: No info found. Most speculate it basically Mick

16. Infamy: Pretty much Keith. Source: Guitar Magazine

Good summing up what we know or educatively specualate to the present. I appreciate the detail. You and Soldatti would make excellent investigative journalists (just like Mick thought he may of wanted to do at one time).

So this is what we know so far....it really doesn't look that Mick Dominating. Sure he has the edge in numbers involving the writing it seems as to what we know so far but Keith is very much writing and contributing as well.

Ian

November 8th, 2005 11:00 PM
LadyJane IAN...I MUST know.

Have you or are you attending any shows of this Tour??

LJ
November 9th, 2005 01:45 AM
IanBillen [quote]LadyJane wrote:
IAN...I MUST know.

Have you or are you attending any shows of this Tour??

LJ

Sadly, no. I have atteneded every tour since 81. Never ever thought if I was able I would miss a Stones tour. Well I moved across country to go to school. Very tight budget via unemployment and to top it off my car needed $500.00 worth of work and it still needs a new alternator. I just could not do it. Told myself all the time I'd find a way. Then reality slowly set in.

Ian
November 9th, 2005 02:05 AM
padre About ABB...I just listened through VL outtakes after a while. There's a song called Ivy League, which seems to be the roots of Sweet Neocon. Sounds like Mick on harmonica (the same riff exactly!) and on keyboards and Charlie on drums. No guitars around, so that suggests it's a Mick song.
Have you guys found any other VL outtakes that have popped up later on Stones/Mick albums?
And what puzzles me is why didn't Keef release You Got It Made instead of Infamy.
November 9th, 2005 05:49 PM
Neocon is he playing the opening riff? Guitar riff on Harmonica? Chorus Riff? Sounds like it's all Mick.

I think maybe Keith hoarding songs for his Santana style album/
November 10th, 2005 01:45 AM
padre The harmonica riff is exactly the same. I think the VL outtake is better than the released Sweet Neocon.
November 10th, 2005 05:46 AM
Poplar good thread

come on SF
November 10th, 2005 08:32 AM
Neocon Seems like the harmonica riff is like BBBBB A F#. The guitar riff seems to be something like AAAA slide to BB. That sort of riff, the way it's played and timed is probably what suggests Keith, as well as some of the understated lead. If Mick had the rhythym and harmonica lick down, Keith is taking his cue really from Mick, so Mick shares credit for that as well. Whoever came up with the guitar riff deserves credit because it sounds good although it's simple IMHO.

quote:
padre wrote:
The harmonica riff is exactly the same. I think the VL outtake is better than the released Sweet Neocon.

November 10th, 2005 08:35 AM
Neocon Sorry the guitar riff AAA slided to B.
November 10th, 2005 08:37 AM
padre Neocon, have you heard the Ivy League track? If not, PM me your email and I can send it to you.
November 10th, 2005 02:04 PM
Neocon Yea, I guess that's not Neocon. The mystery remains. I haven't downloaded it yet, but I'll get around to it. Thanks.
November 11th, 2005 02:30 AM
padre My bad. Listened to Ivy League again and the harmonica riff is NOT the same as in Neocon. It is very familiar, though. Maybe it ended up in Goddess (Lucky Day or something...)
I'll get me coat.
November 11th, 2005 09:09 PM
Neocon I made it through a couple of minutes. Yikes! Seems like I may have heard it in an elevator. Lol. I can't place it on any Stones album. I haven't heard Goddess except maybe a track or two.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)