ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006
¡ Gracias Stoneslib!
Petco Park, San Diego, CA - November 11, 2005
© 2005 Harold Colson aka Stoneslib
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Still Waiting for Streets of Love to Blow Up Return to archive Page: 1 2
November 4th, 2005 10:20 AM
The Wick Where are all you lot who said we'd all jump on the bandwagon when this piece of shite blows up? Well it has blown up, by being the lamest single ever released by the Stones. I don't know if any lead off single has been such a disaster before. And please don't quote obscure music markets for me. I don't give a toss about the charts, but a bunch of people on the board were claiming that it would take them back to the top and BS like that. Well, hasn't happened and it was and still is, Streets of Shite.
November 4th, 2005 07:16 PM
texile since its release - i've only heard it once on the radio...
its way under the radar - and thank god - it should be.
in fact - that must be why the stones did the days of our lives deal.....nobody else is playing it....it's be forgotten soon enough.
November 4th, 2005 07:20 PM
Bloozehound read this thread title and thought to myself, man you're going to be waiting a longass fuckin time motherfucka HaaaHa!
November 4th, 2005 07:45 PM
Sir Stonesalot That's what I said too Bloozey.

The only way that thing blows up is with C4 or TNT.
November 4th, 2005 10:54 PM
The Wick I was trying to get the fans of that piece of crap to come out and continue their predictions, but they all seem to have run back into their holes.
November 5th, 2005 02:27 AM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah, well, you know. Peeps can like whatever they want. I got no problem with that.

I think that it was simply a matter of the time between albums. People waited 8 years. They were ready to love ANYTHING.

I think reality is catching up to a lot of folks. SOL is SOD. Shit Ona Disc.
November 5th, 2005 01:10 PM
Soldatti SOL is not a song for the strange US radio market, but the tune did very well worldwide, especially in Europe and South America.
Here in Argentina, I heard the song HOURLY in every radio during August and September and reached #3 on the national airplay chart.
The video is currently #10 in MTV Argentina and #8 on Much Music, but of course we don't have the rap and alternative rock shit contaminating the radio and TV here, like in US.
[Edited by Soldatti]
November 5th, 2005 01:17 PM
glencar L like SOL but it was a poor choice as a single for the USA market. It should have been RJ instead. Not ahving a video ready didn't help matters. And premiering it on that soap opera was another poor move in a long string of 'em.
November 5th, 2005 01:59 PM
Soldatti RJ was/is the SINGLE in US, maybe that's the reason because the Stones didn't play SOL in the states.
RJ is #36 this week on Billboard's Mainstream Rock Tracks after 14 weeks on chart.
ONNYA (the second US single) will chart the next week because it's gaining good airplay.
November 5th, 2005 02:29 PM
Neocon To my ears "Streets of Love" is shit. When I heard it the first time on the album I thought, "Oh shit this is just going to kil it.... the vibe, credibility." To me it's the canary in the coal mine that Mick just doesn't get the stones. He's a member of the band and doesn't like exile and wants to mix it for a cleaner mix. He doesn't get it.

But if Americans don't like the song, that doesn't mean the France, Lichinstien, Bulgaria,Albania and Ukrain are not right about it. Hey if they can penetrate the Chineses and Indian pop market that's plenty of sales.
November 5th, 2005 05:59 PM
IzzyStradlin Any real Stones fan who likes SOL should be shot in the head and put on display for Christ's sake.

Really...what is there to like about that piece of shit?.

Lets put it this way....if some other shmuck and balls band put it out, like say Bon Jovi - would you still like it?

I can't even believe there is a discussion about this.
November 5th, 2005 06:35 PM
texile
quote:
Neocon wrote:

But if Americans don't like the song, that doesn't mean the France, Lichinstien, Bulgaria,Albania and Ukrain are not right about it. Hey if they can penetrate the Chineses and Indian pop market that's plenty of sales.

yeah - i mean - what does that prove?
france, italy...? have you HEARD thier version of popular music?
not exactly cutting edge markets for music.....
November 5th, 2005 06:40 PM
texile
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
SOL is not a song for the strange US radio market, but the tune did very well worldwide, especially in Europe and South America.
Here in Argentina, I heard the song HOURLY in every radio during August and September and reached #3 on the national airplay chart.
The video is currently #10 in MTV Argentina and #8 on Much Music, but of course we don't have the rap and alternative rock shit contaminating the radio and TV here, like in US.
[Edited by Soldatti]

well soldatti - i blame the language barrier and the complete void of roots music....i imagine france and italy actually believe SOL is a soul song...and they might be missing the absolute absurdity of lines like...
'you're alwful bright -
i must admit, i was awful bad...'
November 5th, 2005 09:16 PM
PeerQueer All of you SOL haters will suck my cock as I play SOL over and over and over again.

Take your time and don't rush it please.

If you're gonna be my bitch you best know your table manners...
November 5th, 2005 09:34 PM
texile that's an appropriate threat and response pq...but it might prove to be an emty one.
cos SOL sucks without any payoff...
November 5th, 2005 10:36 PM
Soldatti Why Fool To Cry was a smash hit on US in 1976 and SOL did nothing now?
Why Emotional Rescue (single and album) were so popular and massive in 1980?
Don't tell me that FTC or ER has more "appeal" than SOL.
It's the current US market situation the problem!
They don't want old acts on the radio, it's so simple.
SOL by any young act today would be a Top 10 hit on the Billboard Hot 100, I'm so fucking sure.
I bet my ass that Satisfaction, JJF, HTW or any warhorse would be a failure if they are released now.
November 6th, 2005 12:04 AM
Sir Stonesalot >SOL by any young act today would be a Top 10 hit on the Billboard Hot 100<

Whatever you are smoking...pass it over to me. That stuff must be wicked good if you think SOL would ever chart here...regardless of who does it.

It's a crappy song with really bad lyrics. Plain and simple.
November 6th, 2005 12:16 AM
Neocon
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
Why Fool To Cry was a smash hit on US in 1976 and SOL did nothing now?
Why Emotional Rescue (single and album) were so popular and massive in 1980?
Don't tell me that FTC or ER has more "appeal" than SOL.
It's the current US market situation the problem!
They don't want old acts on the radio, it's so simple.
SOL by any young act today would be a Top 10 hit on the Billboard Hot 100, I'm so fucking sure.
I bet my ass that Satisfaction, JJF, HTW or any warhorse would be a failure if they are released now.

It's a bit abstract, but I'd say that Streets of Love just isn't cool. Fool To Cry still sounds cool. ER was of it's time.
November 6th, 2005 12:41 AM
Sir Stonesalot There is nothing cool about Fool To Cry. But even less cool is emotional rescue. emotional rescue is so uncool that I refuse to capitalize it.

SOL will take it's rightful place right alongside the rest of the Stones' shit songs.

This is one of the things that I love about The Stones. They are not perfect. They are human. Almost every album has a clunker or two on it.
November 6th, 2005 12:50 AM
Bloozehound I think Freddy Fender is really Ron Jeremy
November 6th, 2005 01:24 AM
glencar The problem with the US market today is that it's barely in existence. If SOL had been released any time before 1990, it would have gone Top 5. But most songs that are released don't even chart & those that are lucky enough to do so stay on the chart for much longer than they used to.
November 6th, 2005 01:29 AM
Soldatti
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>SOL by any young act today would be a Top 10 hit on the Billboard Hot 100<

Whatever you are smoking...pass it over to me. That stuff must be wicked good if you think SOL would ever chart here...regardless of who does it.

Well, if you think that any song on today's US chart is better song than SOL, you must be joking very bad.
Today, I just heard by first time, the current US #1 single (Gold Digger by Kanye West & Jamie Foxx) and is one of the worst songs that I ever heard on my life. This piece of crap is still #1 after 2+ months. I can't even understand a single word of the whole thing!
November 6th, 2005 01:42 AM
glencar I've heard that song once. It's odious.
November 6th, 2005 01:44 AM
beer I think Keith's solo is great on the '76 live vid of Fool To Cry, and for that i like the song. Does that mean i'm a dork? The cool rules are so hard to abide by. I must cram for the next test!

-
November 6th, 2005 04:59 AM
Nellcote SOL is alright by me.
As others have said, ER, FTC are in the same genre.
It's a Jagger song.
He's the master at multiple marketing tunes on a lp.
You don't like it, that's cool.
Stones have universal appeal.
People were running for the toilet when SOL was on a soap
opera.
Why was it there, for all the reasons stated above.
There is no radio, The Stones want to get airplay to sell the disc.
I'll bet more chicks bought it from the soap airing than if it was not on.
Summary, Jagger creates market share.
Seems like that time at the London Scholl of Economics was not a bad thang......
November 6th, 2005 02:12 PM
Sir Stonesalot >Well, if you think that any song on today's US chart is better song than SOL, you must be joking very bad.<

No, I'm not joking.

I've never heard the Kanye West song...I don't really care to hear it either. But the answer you are looking for lies in what passes for popular culture here in the US. It's hip-hop and fake pop country. Period. The main demographic that is buying CDs in the US these days buys predominantly hip-hop, what passes for r&b, and that awful pop country crap. That is just the way it is. It sucks, but there isn't much that can be done about it. Actually, if you think about it, it's a GOOD thing that the Stones are not doing better in the charts. Can you imagine how bad a Stones pop country or *gulp* r&b hip hop album would be?

Crappy love ballads like SOL are out of favor right now. It doesn't matter who sings them. The ballad was hot several years ago but not so much now. The Stones dance remix of Rain Fall Down will do better than any of ABB's other singles. Which sucks because I know that I'm gonna hate it. But that is the kind of thing that is going over right now. RJ, ONNYA, SOL...there just isn't a place in the mainstream market for that stuff. I don't care who plays it. It's all in the timing dude. These songs are hitting at the wrong time to have any hope of being successful. I'm talking about here in the US. I don't know what pop culture is like anywhere else...I haven't been abroad for 15 years...so I can't speak on that.

Another reason for the Stones poor showings on the singles charts is because Virgin obviously isn't paying Clear Channel enough payola. The hip-hop labels understand that if they want to have a #1 for a month and make the big $$$, then they have to grease the right palms. Kanye West's label obviouly understands this and is willing to invest 10 million or more to ensure #1 status. They know that they'll get that 10 million back ten times over. Virgin either won't play that game, or doesn't have the cash to play that game. I'm not talking about promotion. I'm talking about cash payments to the right people who can make things happen. Anyone who thinks that there is no more payola in the US is fooling themselves. It's a dirty game. But if you don't pay, you won't get play.

Besides...the Stones know the real money is in the tour. Why pay out for a radio hit when you can still make more than a quarter BILLION dollars on a world tour without one?

I figure, if the Stones aren't worried about it then neither am I.
November 6th, 2005 02:18 PM
Moonisup
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

Besides...the Stones know the real money is in the tour. Why pay out for a radio hit when you can still make more than a quarter BILLION dollars on a world tour without one?

That's it!
November 6th, 2005 05:34 PM
texile fool to cry and emotional rescue mentioned in the same sentence as SOL.....blasphemy!
neocon is absolutely right -
fool to cry was cool because it was truly soulful...
and ER (hush, sir..) was OF ITS TIME....
SOL is out of time - and the black eyed peas don't lie is my favorite song right now - top 40 radio has ALWAYS been littered with trash - mixed with some great shit.......miss you was #1 when meatloaf had a hit.
the sir is correct about this - the stones just aren't cool, doesn't mean i don't love them - but you can't be pissed off at the masses because they want to hear rj or sol - its just the way it is...
November 6th, 2005 05:50 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
texile wrote:
top 40 radio has ALWAYS been littered with trash - mixed with some great shit.......miss you was #1 when meatloaf had a hit.

SOL sounds like something meatloaf dished out
November 6th, 2005 06:26 PM
Ronnie Richards
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

Well, if you think that any song on today's US chart is better song than SOL, you must be joking very bad.
Today, I just heard by first time, the current US #1 single (Gold Digger by Kanye West & Jamie Foxx) and is one of the worst songs that I ever heard on my life. This piece of crap is still #1 after 2+ months. I can't even understand a single word of the whole thing!

Oh c'mon - if only SOL was half as good as Gold Digger.. it would still suck like linda lovelace on steroids
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)