ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: USA Today Interview : Stones fans, get yer ya-ya's out on DVD Return to archive
11-11-03 12:12 PM
caro Stones fans, get yer ya-ya's out on DVD
Tue Nov 11, 7:12 AM ET Add Entertainment - USATODAY.com to My Yahoo!
By Edna Gundersen USA TODAY

A new Rolling Stones DVD extends a tantalizing invitation to fans: Let's spend three nights together.

The four-disc Four Flicks, out today, captures full concerts staged in a Paris theater, a London stadium and New York's Madison Square Garden. The triptych from the band's Licks tour, an ambitious global trek featuring three separate productions tailored for different venue types, spans 50 songs and five hours. Viewers can enjoy a front-row seat, train the camera on one player (Select-A-Stone) or slip behind the scenes (Backstage Pass). A fourth disc contains two documentaries: tour prep chronicle Tip of the Tongue and travelogue Licks Around the World.

"You always want a stab at something new," Mick Jagger (news) says of the elaborate set. "We held back on any deals or TV rights until we worked this out. Our worry was that it would be very expensive, like buying the whole season of Sopranos. We wanted to get the retail price down."

To avoid traditional distribution costs, the band granted exclusive selling rights to the Best Buy chain, where Flicks is $29.99. The European version, sold through conventional channels, costs roughly $70.

The DVD's trio of shows illustrates the tour's challenging construct, a design the Stones approached with nervous elation.

"It was either going to be interesting or a pain in the neck," Jagger says. "Once you've got a show down, you don't want to keep changing it, but I think everyone was ready to try it. In retrospect, it kept us alert. When you're on the road for a year, boredom can easily set in."

After mastering monster stadium spectacles, venue shape-shifting sent the Stones rolling into a new orbit.

"You eventually look around and say, 'What haven't we done?' and "Can we feel good doing this for a year?' " Keith Richards (news) says. "It was great for the band to stretch out. Usually, a tour has some great highs and several real lows, a bumpy chart. This tour has been a beautiful zoom. The band is feeling good about playing, which is good for me, because I don't have to crack (the) whip."

The DVD coincides with the release of According to the Rolling Stones (Chronicle, $40), a photo-rich oral history akin to The Beatles Anthology (disclosure: this writer contributed an essay). The tome's career focus suits the famously guarded Jagger, who nixed tabloid slants.

"It skims around all that," he says. "I wouldn't have done it otherwise. I see it as a series of questions about the history of the Rolling Stones rather than a personal biography."

Even that professional-diary route vexed an unsentimental singer rarely eager to glance back.

"I find it tiring to answer musicology questions," he says. "I can't be bothered to argue about what happened when in 1968. It's a very nice coffee-table book. I haven't gotten around to reading it yet."

Richards hasn't read all of According, including his own expansive recollections, but he states emphatically, "It's a lot deeper than a coffee-table book."

Is another feud brewing? He laughs.

"When you work with guys this long, a deep friendship can appear as antagonism," Richards says. "Ronnie (Wood) and I insult each other terribly, so that anyone else in the room runs out in horror. It's perverse. These guys are not given to talking about their emotions. Neither am I. But there's a strong bond, stronger than we admit."

In fact, the Stones may be stoked enough to sustain the Licks cycle into 2004. Richards envisions limited touring for two or three months.

"It's strictly a feeling I have," he says. "We won't go totally fallow. Everyone's moaning, 'Oh, my back!' but I don't think they want to let it all drop. It's easier to keep the machine well-oiled. That's my prophecy."
11-11-03 12:21 PM
jb The last paragraph is exciting!!!
11-11-03 12:25 PM
LadyJane It sure the Hell is!! Let's hope it's not the Vodka talking!!

LJ.
11-11-03 02:31 PM
T&A yes - the last paragraph is tantalizing, but I fear that Keith is not talking for his band-mates, much as he'd like to be.... I'm a little skeptical these days whether we'll see 'em on tour again. But, then again, never thought I'd see Simon & Garfunkel in 2003...boy was that a treat last week in Oakland!
11-11-03 03:02 PM
Joey " I'm a little skeptical these days whether we'll see 'em on tour again. But, then again, never thought I'd see Simon & Garfunkel in 2003...boy was that a treat last week in Oakland! "

Artie Garfunkel is gay

" Gayfunkel Ronnie ?!?!?! "

Jai Joey !
11-11-03 03:12 PM
GimmeExile Even if Keith is talking for himself, I'm excited...It's about time for Keef solo album and tour!
11-11-03 04:01 PM
glencar It's awesome baby! Great quality!
11-11-03 06:26 PM
prism I heard Ron is going to tour with Rod Stewart early next year.
11-11-03 06:32 PM
glencar Will they do those oldies yet baddies?
11-11-03 06:55 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
GimmeExile wrote:
...It's about time for Keef solo album and tour!

agreed, i was thinking the same the other day while listening to main offender and thinking it was so much better than any stones stuff released since then
11-11-03 10:34 PM
JaggaRichards
quote:
GimmeExile wrote:
Even if Keith is talking for himself, I'm excited...It's about time for Keef solo album and tour!

Bring back the Winos Keef!