ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Inn Wins Suit Against Van Morrison (NSC) Return to archive
11-11-03 11:03 AM
Martha 11/11/2003��08:19:23�EST
Inn Wins Suit Against Van Morrison

An inn landlord who said his business almost collapsed after the singer Van Morrison canceled an appearance was awarded $66,800 compensation by a court on Tuesday.

Gary Marlow had sued the 57-year-old star and his production company, Exile, for a total of $668,000 over the cancellation in August 2002 at The Crown Hotel in Everleigh, southern England.

Morrison and Exile denied any breach of contract and said the claim for compensation was unsubstantiated.

Marlow, 44, had claimed the return of the advance plus lost profits from the sale of tickets, alcohol, food and tobacco and a further sum for damage to his business' reputation.

He said monthly sales at the 17th-century inn had plunged from $41,750 to 7,000 pounds $18,370 and he was struggling to make a living.

But High Court judge Peter Cresswell ordered Exile to pay Marlow $66,800, including a $33,400 advance fee paid to Exile.

Nevertheless, Marlow claimed victory. "I would like to say that I am absolutely thrilled that we have taken on one of the kings of rock and we have won," he told reporters afterward.

"Unfortunately we didn't get what we should have had but nevertheless we have beaten him."

Morrison's counsel, Thomas Croxford, said his client canceled the concert at the beginning of July 2002 because Marlow had breached a crucial condition of the deal that restricted publicity.

He stressed that the judge's ruling had been against Exile and not Morrison personally.

There was no immediate comment from Morrison, who is in Ireland.

Copyright 2003 Associated Press.
11-11-03 01:31 PM
Zeeta An Inn??!!!

Please read Pub everyone!

Scandalous - everyone sues everyone nowadays. But fair do's..why didn't "the Man" just re-schedule it?!

"Please don't go!"

11-11-03 03:03 PM
Gazza Van's probably the most litigious rock artist on the planet....a taste of his own medicine,serves the cantankerous old bastard right..lol.

He actually grew up two streets from me and we went to the same school - thankfully 18 years apart, and at least I still have my hair.....

11-11-03 03:21 PM
jb I like it, like it, yes I do!!!!! You breach a contract, you pay damages for the consequences thereof....
11-11-03 04:57 PM
Monkey Woman Speaken like a true lawyer, jb! LOL
11-11-03 05:12 PM
glencar I met some Irish guys & they said Van was meaner'n a snake. I've always liked his music though.
11-11-03 08:10 PM
Martha He looks mean as a snake but, I have no idea. LOL

I am interested in what the Rocks Off members have to say in commentary....and I knew a lawyer would take this bait. hehehe..... I didn't know Van had such a reputation, either.

Gee Gazza, living down the street, same High School.....that's some more Rock and Roll fame for you ehhh?! Cool.

I would like to see Van perform live and suppose he is gonna tour on the backside of his latest release. I love his music.

Anyone here seen him?
11-11-03 08:34 PM
Gazza yeah - about 10-12 times I guess!!! not for a few years though, although obviously he plays here quite a lot!
11-11-03 09:02 PM
Prodigal Son Van is a bitter man. But putting aside his crankiness (he makes Dylan look like Mr. Media Paul McCartney), he is one helluva singer. Always will be one of my favourite solo artists.
"You Don't Pull No Punches But You Don't Push the River." Kick-ass!
11-11-03 10:58 PM
Highwire Rob This got me to thinking about another Inn's fondness for a singer...

Does anyone know--perhaps the lawyers--whether Jimmy Buffet was ever sued for his disparaging reference to Holiday Inn food in Cheeseburger In Paradise?

I guess not successfully, 'cause as far as I know, their trademark name stays in his live and album versions.

I always thought they could patch things up by doing some adverts where Buffet is seen happily partaking of the Holiday Inn's lunch buffet. Then they would pay him a boatload of money which he doesn't need.

--Rob.
11-12-03 12:50 AM
Prodigal Son Mmhhm, Jimmy Buffet sucks.