ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: what are the bootlegs from the 70's with the best sound quality Return to archive
11-10-03 10:10 AM
headshrinker i've got get yer ya yas out and love you live and am desperate for some more.

please could someone tell me!! i'm preferably looking for soundboard recordings.
11-10-03 11:07 AM
SHINE A LIGHT hi, please PM me and i'll help you with this matter.
11-10-03 11:40 AM
jb Brussels affair
Leed Lungs
Philadelphia Special
Ladies and Gentleman
11-10-03 11:45 AM
Joey

Brussels Affair
Stripped Companion
Hampton ' 81
Handsome Girls ' 78
Debra Messing

11-11-03 05:01 AM
headshrinker thanx guys, r there n e british traders who want to trade or does n e 1 no where i can download some of these

11-11-03 01:14 PM
SHINE A LIGHT go to www.recordings.prv.pl and see if you like what you find there.
11-11-03 04:22 PM
Gazza 1970 European Tour - no soundboards from this tour. best audience recordings would probably be the remastered Essen show (7.10.70) bootlegged as "Ice cream in the foyer". A couple of the Paris shows (22-24 sept) arent bad, one of which is a radio broadcast although not in great quality.

1971 UK tour - Leeds 13.3.71. a BBC radio broadcast, also available as a soundboard. The remastered "Get yer Leeds Lungs Out - Revisited" is the best source for this one.

1972 US Tour - theres various soundboards from this tour. The Fort worth and houston shows were recorded for "ladies and gentlemen" movie and Fort worth and Philly for an unreleased live album. Your best bet is to get the "STP Tour 72" 7-CD which features all the soundboards from that tour, although there was a CDR compilation tree called "Work Sucks lets go on tour" which stretched it to 8 discs.

1973 Pacific/Australian/NZ tour - the best show to get is Perth 24.2.73, originally bootlegged as "Happy birthday nicky" although at an hour its not a full show. the two shows in Sydney at the end of the tour (26th and 27th) are also recommended, especially the last one. The 3 Honolulu shows on 21-22 January are worth getting too, the best quality of which would be the 21st January show ("In Exotic Honolulu"

1973 European Tour - the piece de resistance of Stones bootlegs are the two radio broadcasts taken from Brussels 17.10.73 (1st) and London 9.9.73 - take your pic from "Brussels affair", "Nasty music" or "headin' for an overload". a few tracks overlap on both broadcasts. Theres parts of other shows, including Newcastle which featured on other radio broadcasts but the Brussels ones are the essential ones.

1975 Tour of The Americas - there are partial soundboards of Detroit 28.7.75 (85 mins)amongst others but probably the two best soundboards to get are full shows - Los Angeles 11.7.75 (from a pro-shot soundboard video recording) and 13.7.75. Personally, my favourite show of the tour is New York 27.6.75 which is a really nice audience recording.

1976 European Tour - theres partial soundboards from London, an almost complete Lyon and a fantastic hour of pro-shot video footage from Knebworth but most of the best soundboards from the tour would come from the Paris shows - all four of which were filmed for a TV special (three were used in the broadcast) as well as the live album (which isnt just from Paris'76 and Toronto '77 as the sleevenotes suggest. theres stuff from earls court 76 and Toronto and LA '75 in there too). Paris 6.6.76 would probably be the best of the bunch and its a complete show too.

1977 El mocambo,Toronto 4-5 March - the Stones only two shows in 1977 were both taped for "Love you live" in this tiny toronto club. a 30 minute soundboard of one show (no one's quite sure which one) is all thats in circulation, and even then theres a couple of songs cut. Its still one of the essential Stones boots though, its marvellously raw and you get to hear "Worried about you" played live 4 years before they released it and for the only time prior to 2002!!

1978 - Four shows (Memphis, lexington, detroit and Houston) were recorded and broadcast in two KBFH specials. the tracks broadcast plus extras that werent used for various reasons (such as "Starfucker" for kinda obvious reasons!) were remastered from the original and unedited/ uncensored recordings and packaged on discs 3 and 4 of the boxed set "Handsome Girls". Discs 1 and 2 feature a complete soundboard from Fort Worth, a show which had previously been uncirculated even as an audience tape. This show had been filmed for an unreleased concert film , but only the first 6 songs had previously been available (thats still all that circulates on video). theres also a soundboard from a theatre show in Passaic, NJ on 14.6.78, bootlegged as "Garden state" amongst others. "Handsome girls" is one of the most essential Stones bootlegs and is easily the best representation of the tour. A lot of the shows are very hit and miss (eg Philadelphia) but the performances on this set are out of this world.

1979 - the CNIB benefit concerts. The Stones only played two shows in 1979 - both in Oshawa, Ontario on 22nd april as part of the conditions of Keith's "punishment" for being busted in Toronto. each show features a 45 minute set by the New Barbarians followed by a similar length (and unbilled) set by the Stones, which is preceded by Mick joining Keith for a duet of "Prodigal son" .The first show is available in quite awful sound quality but the second one has been immortalised in great sound quality on "Blind Date". Theyre as raw as fuck and the set is almost all "Some girls" songs but its great fun.
[Edited by Gazza]
11-12-03 12:15 AM
Shockspeeder I got a double album from '78 called Summer Romance and it was surprisingly very good quality. I recommend it to all.