ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Hungarian Says Rock Defeated Communism (NSC) Return to archive
11-09-03 01:14 PM
Martha Hungarian Says Rock Defeated Communism

Nov 9, 7:38 AM (ET)
By M.R. KROPKO

CLEVELAND (AP) - Rock music played lead in giving Hungarian baby boomers the resolve to bring down their communist state, says one of those reformers who today is a government official.

Andras Simonyi, Hungary's ambassador to the United States, spent an hour Saturday night discussing the impact of Western songs on Eastern European politics before an invitation-only audience of 250 at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Simonyi, 51, was a devoted fan of the Beatles, Cream, Traffic and Jimi Hendrix when their releases weren't officially permitted in Hungary. Records and tapes sometimes were smuggled in or recorded from foreign radio broadcasts.

Hungary became a democracy in 1990 - after more than 40 years of communism. The nation of 10 million joined NATO in 1999 and will formally join the European Union on May 1, 2004.

"By keeping in touch with the music scene in the West, it kind of kept me sane and with the feeling I was part of the free world," said Simonyi, an economist by training.

The ambassador was introduced by defense and anti-terrorism consultant Jeff Baxter, who once played guitar with The Doobie Brothers and Steely Dan.

Baxter and Simonyi said they would like to establish an institute to study rock music's global influences.

"There is a commonality to the music and freedom," Baxter said. "To Andras, Western music was an open window of fresh air in a very repressive society."

Simonyi impressed an audience member from Hungary.

"He represents quite well his generation," said Judit Gerencser, a 27-year-old student at Cleveland State University. "I have heard about this from my parents, but I never really heard about just how much this music was influential."
11-09-03 01:51 PM
Gazza >Rock music played lead in giving Hungarian baby boomers the resolve to bring down their communist state, says one of those reformers who today is a government official.

somehow I doubt anyone in hungary would ever use the word "baby boomer".

Whoever the journalist was (and I'm sure it was a journalist as real people dont use words like that)who invented that ludicrous expression, he should have been taken out and shot like a dog.
11-09-03 05:08 PM
Prodigal Son Skunk Baxter is an anti-terrorism consultant. Well, ain't that funny. He could just play some Michael McDonald-era Doobies on guitar to combat those terrorists. That'll really make 'em wish they were dead, lol. Well, they aren't terrible but they aren't good either.
11-10-03 02:42 AM
glencar The guy doesn't mention the Stones. He doesn't know what he missed.
11-11-03 11:13 AM
Martha
quote:
glencar wrote:
The guy doesn't mention the Stones. He doesn't know what he missed.

I thought about that too glencar, but I trust that he will find out about the Stones, all in good time. It is never too late! I really liked how he sees music as a freeing agent of the soul..these are my words. I too feel a great freedom and a life force, if you will through, experiencing music (good/real music) in any way I can...at a live show, or through listening to it on my great new stereo....and all those fabulous live shows I've gotten through the trees offered on this board!!! I NEED music to help me feel free, free from the yuckiness around me, free from the pain that is inevitable in life. "Music IS the light in the darkness that never goes away." Thank you Martin Scorsese for saying that.

When I am down, music helps me get back to being able to be........Happy! Hit it Keef!!!!
11-11-03 01:10 PM
Joey

I thought the television show " Dallas " was responsible for defeating Communism ?

|
|
|
|
|
|
V

11-11-03 01:24 PM
jb I honestly think the beginning of the end of communism was when Nixon "deputized" Elvis.
11-11-03 03:00 PM
Joey " I honestly think the beginning of the end of communism was when Nixon "deputized" Elvis. "

Josh .....................................

You make Joey sniggle .

Jacky !

11-11-03 08:13 PM
Martha hahaha I'm sniglin' too!