ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Announcing a free concert at the "Golden Gate Park" or any San Francisco Park... later it was Altamont
1969 Terry O'Neill
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Oakland show last night Return to archive
11-13-02 11:14 AM
Mikey Great show, very good setlist. If You Can't Rock Me was awesome, as well as the Exile set. I don't understand why they don't do Sweet Virginia more often. The crowd after the "thank you...for your wine, California"

However:

what was up with the sound guy at the Stones mixing board? He buried Keith's guitar on almost every solo (intentional?)

Ronnie needs to step up or be allowed to step up and play more lead. Unfortunately, for as well as Keith is playing the main riffs (SFM, CYHMK, MR), his soloing just isn't cutting it anymore. Why waste a gunslinger, standing on his right. A good example would be Sympathy. I know its "Keith's" solo, but what about propping the solo up with more interplay with Ronnie, ala Love you Live.

Girl got up on the B-stage ramp and tried to come up on the main stage and got walloped. Those things do not impress the band and in fact, it seems they go out of their way to ignore those people so others will not do it.

Interesting fact, there was a section on the back left floor of the arena where a person was signing the words of the songs to deaf participants. The person had their back to the stage with a conductor's music stand and small light below them, gesturing to the people standing in section 110. It was very intersting to watch the deaf translation of "When the Whip comes down", especially the chorus. However, when Keith sang and spoke, there was no translation available.

Overall great show and can't wait for 2003.

Mikey
11-13-02 11:37 AM
ehellweg Wow--what a show!
It's funny how two people can go to the same show yet have a completely different reaction. I thought Keith sounded great--mixwise and playing-wise. A few times during the show, I thought to myself, "nice--it's a keith show." he just seemed in command (except during 'you don't have to mean it', which he botched pretty bad).

this was the 5th time i'd seen the stones (starting in 89) and i never want to see them outdoors again! haha...unless it's my only option, of course. the band was able to make the 19k seat basketball arena seem intimate.

unlike saturday night pac bell, when i saw only 2 songs i hadn't ever seen live before (don't stop, let it bleed), this show featured 10 i'd never caught live. a phenomenal show all around, and i can't seeing the band indoors highly enough.

still skying...
11-13-02 11:40 AM
ehellweg quick question: last night was the first "ain't too proud to beg" and "heart of stone" of the tour, right?
11-13-02 11:46 AM
winter heart of stone was played at the Orpheum
11-13-02 11:55 AM
nankerphelge First time for ATPTB and first time for HOS in an arena.
11-13-02 12:07 PM
Maxlugar Aint too Proud was done at Roseland, too.