ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Announcing a free concert at the "Golden Gate Park" or any San Francisco Park... later it was Altamont
1969 Terry O'Neill
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: A stellar brand new album Return to archive
11-12-02 07:54 PM
Butt Sniff What I must have some time during my life is a stones album that is the hottest thing ever released with a kick ass title. I have been a huge fan since Emotional Rescue ( hottest album) when I was fourteen. All my friends would give me shit constantly. saying crap like def leppard rules or van halen or that they are gay. but i have stuck by the Stones through the lean years(1981-current), with no smash ass album! What gives are the guys content to release mediocre music, or maybe they just don't have it in them anymore. So all I do is live in the past glories with no future hits. Still I love those guys. I have grown and matured gotten married and am happy< but I want a friggin #1 album for 4 months straight!!!!!!!!!
11-12-02 08:02 PM
winter Butt Sniff:

Ain't gonna happen. I think the quality has been there though. VL and Bridge are both very strong. Both had a number of potential big hits. It's the state of the music industry today. Frickin Britney Spears, NSYNC and eminem rule the charts. Also a function of poor marketing by the label - a perferct example is the lack of release of Don't Stop as a single in the U.S., and where's the video?

I'd love to see the boys return to chart greatness. But I don't see it happening in the current environment.

I hope I'm wrong.

wintah
11-12-02 09:34 PM
mandrack Yeah,
where is the video???
I don't get this at all.
Maybe it's more important to have fashion show with new shirts and stuff than the video/single
11-12-02 09:38 PM
Turner Yo Butt Sniff don't give up it might happen but I agree with winter about the current statusof music(i am near your age) so I know what you mean.
11-12-02 11:19 PM
sammy davis jr. Record companies are tightening their belts (and losing their asses I hope, seeing how they've ripped off artists "legally" for decades now) and I wouldn't at all be surprised if even the Stones find resistance from their record company to make a video. Marketing rhe latest Eminem, Aguilara, Spears, Justin etc etc...however is another story. They dump all kinds of cash to produce that schlock. Remember when Mariah Carey signed like a 120 million dollar contract (with Sony I believe), and after her first record and movie stiffed. they bought out her contract for like 80 million dollars? That shows you how goddamn stupid those assholes are. They could have signed and produced 10 really good up and coming rock bands for the money they wasted. What kills me is the fuckin' outrageous salaries the boobs who make those decisions have. Good work if you can get it.
11-12-02 11:24 PM
VoodooTattoo Denying the Stones a video for Don't Stop or a phat tune on the new upcoming album would take enormous guts. The top executives that would make such a decision are likely in their 50s or 60s and are privy to the legacy that the Stones have. If the multi-billion dollar Stones corporation asks for a video there will be a fucking video!
11-12-02 11:53 PM
FPM C10
quote:
VoodooTattoo wrote:
Denying the Stones a video for Don't Stop ...

I just read somewhere that the story on "Don't Stop"'s video is that Mick fired the director the first day. I guess it's still in the works, but that doesn't mean we'll see it more than once. How often did you see the video for "Saint of Me" or the live "Gimme Shelter" or the second creepy version of "Anybody Seen My Baby"? "Like A Rolling Stone"? And even if the video DOES get decent airplay, that doesn't mean it'll be a hit record. "Love Is Strong" didn't get too far up the charts, did it?

Wanting chart success, as much as we do and THEY do, is unrealistic. I don't even know what the charts represent anymore, but if you didn't start out on the New Mickey Mouse Club, you don't have a shot at it. The demographics are all wrong to have the numbers required. Now, when the ooooooold Monkey was a youngster, it actually happened sometimes that the BEST music was also the most popular. That NEVER happens anymore. The last time they had a real chance to top a chart was with 40 Licks, and they were undone by Elvis. Of course, there are still a few units that are gonna get moved for Xmas, so the story's not over yet. But the thing is, competing in today's utterly ridiculous, trivial, manufactured environment is totally beneath the Stones. It's no measure of their greatness.
11-13-02 07:42 AM
Maxlugar It's not going to happen and I don't care.

But Buttsniff, Voodoo Lounge and Dirty Work should keep you happy about the recent Stones. But you have a point about the lack of a huge monster album.

And Mancrack has a point about the lack of a video for DS.

Maybe Buttsniff and Mancrack should get together on this and hash it out. Maybe take the act out on the road....

Buttsniff and Mancrack World Tour '03?

YES!

MAXY!

11-13-02 08:56 AM
F505 Video or not, Don't stop was a huge flop in Holland. It has been on the charts for two or three weeks but never reached the top 50.... It's not a bad single but lacks the magic of Miss you, Start me up, Mixed emotions or even Love is strong.
11-13-02 03:01 PM
Turner The buttcrack tour?
11-13-02 03:12 PM
jopo The video has been recorded and finalized ... i even heard that some tvchannels aired it ...

The director is from the company stylewar (www.stylewar.com) ... and the video will proboably be on their site really soon .. stylewar made the hives latest video and aparantly it was watching that video Mick got his eye on the director ..

thats it ... yep
11-13-02 04:08 PM
Street Fighting Man Maybe Bridges To Babaloyn didn't set any sales records, but in my opinion it had a lot a kick. I've enjoyed playing it many times - plus Saint of Me, Out Of Control were teriffic live.

At this stage of the game, I'm glad that the Stones are still kicking.