ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Announcing a free concert at the "Golden Gate Park" or any San Francisco Park... later it was Altamont
1969 Terry O'Neill
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Saw them Friday at Pac Bell - worth going tomorrow? Return to archive
11-11-02 08:02 PM
maestro Yes, Friday was a good show, but not great. The only songs I'd never heard live before were "red rooster," "neighbors," "...rolling stone," "slippin away" and "angie," and the only one of those I really wanted to hear was "angie."

For me, I like album tracks I've not heard before, but Steel Wheels and Tattoo You are not the albums from which they should be drawn. And as far as covers go, they're fun, but I prefer originals.

I came very close to going Saturday, figuring they'd mix things up quite a bit since they were playing in the same town and there'd be a lot of the same people there, but it was a very similar setlist. And the only songs different, I'd heard before, except for "let it bleed," which must have been sweet, esp. since I was near the small stage on Friday.

Saturday looked like a better set; "rocks off," "monkey man," "before they make me run," etc. But for the most part it was the same, and I'm glad I didn't go to both.

So should I even bother to go Tuesday? I don't mind hearing the staples again, because they're great songs (though I'm so glad they've dropped "miss you," which I'd heard at each of the other five Stones shows I'd seen), but I want some deep album tracks.

I heard they'd been playing "can't you hear me knocking" and "winter" and "torn & frayed" and "stray cat blues" and songs like that on this tour. What gives????

And can anyone tell me why in the hell they play "you got me rocking" at every show? That is one of the all-time worst songs ever -- it's like a Def Leppard tune. There are a LOT of good songs on Voodoo Lounge to choose from; I have no problem going to that record. But why that song?
11-11-02 09:46 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Well, if they're playing in another Stadium tomorrow, then no, you're better off waiting. But if it's an arena, you'll get a nice mixup. You'll end up hearing a few of the same numbers, but you'll also get an album block (one of the big five, most likely Exile or Some Girls) and the absolutely incredible "Can't You Hear Me Knocking". If you're lucky, you'll get "That's How Strong My Love Is" for the 'Mick's Soul Cover Return' number.

-tSYX --- I can't turn ya loose now...
11-12-02 12:00 AM
tumblingdice I would go again if I had the chance, whether if they play a total different set with rare songs or the exact same show again. It is the Stones. It's not like you don't listen to the songs either on the radio or on cd again just because you just heard it the day or two before. Live is just that much better. But then again, if you have to ask, maybe you should not go.
11-12-02 01:05 AM
SlackerZ I totally agree with tumblingdice, i would to every stones concert, not caring about the setlist, everytime they do a song, the song cames alive for me, gets a lots better than the original version.

hey, you got to keep on rolling!!

=)
11-12-02 07:32 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
SlackerZ wrote:
I totally agree with tumblingdice, i would to every stones concert, not caring about the setlist, everytime they do a song, the song cames alive for me, gets a lots better than the original version.

hey, you got to keep on rolling!!

=)

Hey, I'd go to every concert I could as well, but the problem is simply the price. If you want seats that have a view you'll end up spending at least $150 per night. It's not a question of how good they are (They're the *STONES*) it's a question of whether or not it'd be reasonable to go.

-tSYX --- Call me the tum-bu-lin diiiiii-iice....
11-12-02 12:36 PM
maestro Thanks, savage, for seeing it in the proper perspective...Christ, I'd follow them around the country and go to every show on the tour if I could afford it.

But reality is, I spent $220 on a pair of tix Friday night, not incl. drinks and merchandise for my wife. Who, by the way, just quick working to take care of my baby son.

My company's lost a third of its workforce to layoffs the last couple years, so I feel pretty lucky to still have a job.

So please, none of the "if you have to ask, maybe you shouldn't go" sanctimony, TD. I saw them three out of four nights in Oakland back in '97 when I was young and single.

But, for the record, fuck it, I'm going, assuming I can find a ticket for less than $100! If what SavageYoungX has to say is true, I will love it, because the first two shows were at Pac Bell park, and tonight is in Oakland Arena. I'd heard they were doing different sets for arenas vs. stadiums, but I was reluctant to check the setlists because I wanted to be surprised.

God, I hope we get the Exile album block! Or BB...or LIB...or SF...
11-12-02 06:26 PM
tumblingdice Nothing Sanctimonious about it. You did not ask if you should go if you could only afford one more show or anything of that nature. You only asked should you go. I responded to such. I only get to go to one as that is all I could afford, but if that is out of the way and you can go, then that is the answer I was giving. Nice to know you have a job. I bought my ticket with severance pay and lived on unemployment until just before the show I got. Luckily back working now, but I know what you mean about affording it.
11-12-02 08:22 PM
maestro TD, sorry, man, I wasn't trying to be rude; I just got defensive because of the way you phrased it! That's the problem with the net...nuance can be lost in the written word. And I certainly never made clear that financial contraints were involved.

Hell, I was online earlier today and there were floor tickets available in the 18th row, section A! But they were $335 - too much for me at this time.

The fact that you bought your ticket with severence and lived on UE shows dedication! I'm glad you're working again...times are tough all over, for all of us.

Thanks for the advice, though...I'm definitely going, hoping I can get in for less than $100! I'll sit in the nosebleeds if it means I can hear "can't you hear me knocking" live!
11-12-02 09:03 PM
Fiji Joe Well that is the question, if you can afford it go, if no, well call it a day
11-12-02 09:12 PM
Mr T of course it's worth it. if I had a chance to go tomorrow - I don't care if they told me ahead of time I'd just see the Giants Stadium setlist all over again(what type of show is it anyway?), I'd fucking go in a heartbeat. I fhte last one was less than great - their bound to make it up to ya in the next show
11-12-02 09:15 PM
Fiji Joe Decent odds indeed Mr. T
11-12-02 10:17 PM
tumblingdice Yeah that is the bad thing about the net, when reading you may not interpret the way the writter intended. Bottom line if money is not a concern then by all means go to every show you can get. I wish I could get more. Where I live the closest for me was Atlanta and that is 6 hours away. I wish I was in a city that had several shows so I could get more. Even nosebleed seats are better than none.