ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Announcing a free concert at the "Golden Gate Park" or any San Francisco Park... later it was Altamont
1969 Terry O'Neill
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: My thoughts in Ron's playing this tour and SF show Return to archive
11-11-02 02:31 PM
gotdablouse Some might remember the heated debates sparked by Savage's post "The Birth of a Guitar God" after seeing them on the East coast.

Well I saw them at Pacbell Park on Saturday and will be catching them again on Tuesday at the Oakland Arena.

Just as I thought that "Guitar God" statement is pretty ridiculous...and has to be put on account of Savage's young age or substance abuse ;-)

Having said that, Ronnie definitely isn't the liability to the band he was in 94/95 and 97/99. For a start the constant clowning is gone, which gives a better overall impression. The playing is clearly not what it was on the 75/76 tour, but it's quite capable. On the way back from the show I listened to the recording of one of the 97 shows in Oakland and I couldn't believe how terrible his playing was at the time. This is much better, I'd call it "normal" for a man with his experience. Other than that he had a bunch of very nice guitars, including the plastic Zematis (sp?) for the B-Stage and some kind of funky banjo looking guitar for the closing set. He also had some pretty smart clothes, really !

It's been said before, but inexplicably, the sound isn't as good as on the 97 tour. You just can't hear the guitars enough, they're mudied and keep getting drowned by Leavell's constant noodling on the keys :-(

I think the "cosier" atmosphere of the Oakland Arena will make it a more exciting show. This one was, dare I say it, a bit boring...
11-11-02 03:29 PM
jb My impression from reading your review and others, is that the SF shows sucked....
11-11-02 03:34 PM
Maxlugar Yes, the Guitar God comment was a little ridiculous.

Better yes, God-like no.
11-11-02 07:36 PM
Mikey The SF shows rocked, what are you talking about? The reviews were great, the stadium was packed and the band was tight.

Can't wait for Oakland on Tuesday.

Mikey
11-11-02 08:19 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Yes, the Guitar God comment was a little ridiculous.

Better yes, God-like no.

Nag nag nag.

I've got my copy of Gimme Some Neck here and we're going to abuse substances together in my youth.

Compared to the sound on Stripped and No Security... Ronnie's kickin' ass and takin' names. Better? Yeah. God-like? Matter of opinion. I'm a big fan of Ronnie's choppy style. I heard "Stay With Me" on the radio today and man, that's such a great number. He even rips it up with Bernard singing it on Live and Eclectic.

So yeah, I guess it's a matter of opinion. And I think Ronnie, after all these years of playing in so many groups, really is the real deal rock god. If not with The Stones alone, then add The Jeff Beck Group and The Faces.

C'est la vie, say the old folks, goes to show you never can tell!

-tSYX --- Goin' round and round...
11-11-02 08:25 PM
Maxlugar His bass work on Aint Superstitous is God-like.

11-11-02 08:26 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
Some might remember the heated debates sparked by Savage's post "The Birth of a Guitar God" after seeing them on the East coast.

Well I saw them at Pacbell Park on Saturday and will be catching them again on Tuesday at the Oakland Arena.

Just as I thought that "Guitar God" statement is pretty ridiculous...and has to be put on account of Savage's young age or substance abuse ;-)

Having said that, Ronnie definitely isn't the liability to the band he was in 94/95 and 97/99. For a start the constant clowning is gone, which gives a better overall impression. The playing is clearly not what it was on the 75/76 tour, but it's quite capable.

You make Young Savage cry like baby, to theft a phrase from the Chibatronic 2002.

Yeah, I guess the post was hopelessly romantic, but when you come back at one in the morning from your first Stones concert after hearing mediocre live stuff from their last two outings and tell me how you're gonna feel when their rhythm guitarist wasn't really playing up to his old self and the lead finally gets a grip on his problems.

No, it's not as good as '75. The 'Weave' isn't there.

But for my first show actually being there, live, Ronnie played like a man posessed versus the tame quality of stuff on Stripped and No Security.

I haven't heard much from the Stadium shows, but reports have said the sound needs work. Less Leavell, more guitar. Although I actually didn't mind him on "Honky Tonk Women" at the Fleet. He didn't have that stupid fall-off-the-bench thing yet. Or at least I didn't see it.

So I dunno. As I said above, it's a matter of opinion. But I do think Ronnie's a guitar god. And if he isn't exactly playing up to scratch versus how he was twenty years ago, oh well. But answer me this - would you rather have Mick Taylor back?

My answer - hell no. Not with a sober Ronnie.

-tSYX --- She told me I might as well summer alone...
11-12-02 07:03 AM
Nellcote Sorry, Izzy, the "Weave" is there.
You need to listen more.
You will hear it.
11-12-02 07:29 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Sorry, Izzy, the "Weave" is there.
You need to listen more.
You will hear it.

What shows in particular am I looking for to hear this mysterious 'Weave'?

In short, what have been the 'hits' and 'misses' of this tour?

-tSYX --- Only rock'n'roll...
11-12-02 08:27 AM
Nellcote IMO, any of the club shows. Despite Jagger's assertions that these are the most dangerous, it appears this is where they are really shining
11-12-02 09:40 AM
Mathijs I haven't heard keith and Ron weaving ever since '82 anymore. Best examples of weaving in my opinion: check on handsome Girls When The Whip Comes Down from Fort Worth -Ron and keith aren't playing in an question-answer type of playing, but they seem to know what the other will play in two seconds. Keith starts a riff, and Ronnie finishes it -and this continues every 3 seconds. The same can be heard at the second example: Beast of Burden from the Let's Spend video (Phoenix 81). The intro is played by keith and Ronnie, but right before Jagger starts to sing, keith starts an amazing riff, which Ronnie picks up and finishes superbly.

And this two me is what makes the Taylor/Wood discussion so difficult. yes, Taylor is a far better lead guitar player, but he sucks when playing rythm guitar AND he never had this weaving with Keith.

Mathijs
11-12-02 09:55 AM
nankerphelge Lies on Handsome Girls is pretty incredible weaving as well -- those two songs back-to-back is yummy.

11-12-02 12:20 PM
Martini
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
It's been said before, but inexplicably, the sound isn't as good as on the 97 tour. You just can't hear the guitars enough, they're mudied and keep getting drowned by Leavell's constant noodling on the keys :-(

I agree about Chuckie. In Tacoma I was suprised to learn that "Satisfaction" was a piano-driven tune. (I guess.)Someone has to bury Chuck a lot deeper in the mix. His style doesn't mesh with any of the Stones' tunes.

-M