ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Announcing a free concert at the "Golden Gate Park" or any San Francisco Park... later it was Altamont
1969 Terry O'Neill
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith in Top 10 "Un Cool" List Return to archive
11-11-02 12:10 PM
Honky Tonk Man A couple of weeks ago the NME listed who they thought the coolest people in rock were. Jack White according to them is the coolest cat around.

Anyway, they also did another top 10 list. The "THEY THINK THEY'RE COOL BUT AREN'T" List

Keith is at number 7!

1 Robbie Williams
2 Fischerspooner
3 Shirley Manson
4 Kelly Jones
5 P Diddy
6 Fred Durst
7 Keef Richards
8 Paul Oakenfold
9 Blazin' Squad
10 Britney Spears

The fact that they spelt his name "KEEF" is taking it one step to far! Okay, i think alot of the people in their "COOL" list are cool, being cool has always gone with music. I still think Keith IS cool, but at the Stones age, i dont think it matters

Alex
[Edited by Honky Tonk Man]
11-11-02 12:48 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat Who compiled this f*ck*ng list? Do they have the death penalty there???
11-11-02 01:03 PM
Cant Catch Me You can't get much more uncool than the people who feel they need to compile a "cool" list.
11-11-02 01:25 PM
jb By their standards Keith would be uncool. Remember, England loves the Beatles, Elvis, Spice Girls,Elton, Bowie, Macca, etc... they have always hated the Stones for leaving the country b/c of it's oppressive tax system....The Stones are not thought well of by 90% of the English public.(no offense HTM).
[Edited by jb]
11-11-02 01:58 PM
gypsy Keef doesn't 'think' he's cool-he just IS cool. Who in the hell makes a list as asinine as that in the first place?!
11-11-02 01:59 PM
jb It's your country Gysiill
11-11-02 02:03 PM
magicwoman I think Britney spears has to be at no.1 and not at no.10
11-11-02 02:07 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
magicwoman wrote:
I think Britney spears has to be at no.1 and not at no.10

Spritney Bears should be on any of these numbers
11-11-02 02:07 PM
jb What about Justin Timberlake...a jizz gozzla from day 1.
11-11-02 02:08 PM
magicwoman spritney bears "laughs very loud"
11-11-02 04:04 PM
Moonisup
quote:
jb wrote:
By their standards Keith would be uncool. Remember, England loves the Beatles, Elvis, Spice Girls,Elton, Bowie, Macca, etc... they have always hated the Stones for leaving the country b/c of it's oppressive tax system....The Stones are not thought well of by 90% of the English public.(no offense HTM).
[Edited by jb]

a point is made! some people think macca is cool and that sting is cool, well not everyone is blessed by being a stonesfan!
11-11-02 04:09 PM
jb Remember Moon, the English posters here are a small minority...mainstrean English wish death upon the Stones.
11-11-02 04:17 PM
Moonisup I know,
I feel sorry for the english fans, good country, but the fans are in the minority indeed!!

shoe
11-11-02 04:20 PM
jb They are attacking me again on shidoobee ....I'll say it again, Doug is one hell of a guy, but I have never seen more serious jackasses than on that site...
[Edited by jb]
11-11-02 04:32 PM
Moonisup where!!

there are indeed some stupid guys over there
11-11-02 04:33 PM
jb ...
[Edited by jb]
11-11-02 04:44 PM
Honky Tonk Man England does not hate the Stones by any means. The fact that they left England to live in France has nothing to do with it either. The Stones are just not our favourite band. Same goes for America. Did 40 Licks reach No1 in the States? Noooo. Who was No1? ELVIS! See same as us

Its all to do with this newspaper poll

The NME has always stayed with whts current and cool in music. What they cover is cool, well for the most part. You cannot get cooler then bands like The Strokes or the Vines. Simple as that.

Incidently, NME worshiped the Stones 35 years ago!

Thats when they were young and eeer... cool?

Alex

11-11-02 04:59 PM
Scottfree Uncool:

1) Lists about who are cool
2) Lists about people who are uncool
3) The useage of cool
11-11-02 07:33 PM
Honky Tonker If Keef is on the list, I'm kinda pissed that myself and JB didn't make! LOL!
[Edited by Honky Tonker]
11-11-02 11:42 PM
~AzQb
quote:
Cant Catch Me wrote:
You can't get much more uncool than the people who feel they need to compile a "cool" list.

Cool post!

~RoTbFl
11-11-02 11:51 PM
KeepRigid It really is an uncool list.

And what about this fucking outrage at #5?!
11-12-02 12:13 AM
gypsy If it's any consolation, Keep, I think that any man who has a personal umbrella holder is hella cool!
11-12-02 04:32 AM
stonedinaustralia notice it was "keef" not "keith" - keith's still cool - and i suspect if nme had a chance to do a cover story interview as they did in '95 they would jump at the chance and they would approach mr. richards with the respect he commands
11-12-02 07:33 AM
corgi37 just another pommy rag. Wasnt this the same shit-wrappper that said oasis were the greatest band...EVER! Mind you, see their edition from a month or 2 ago. Some no body band is now lord of the rock world. They are just over grown uni students, looking for a bi-line. Mind you, and i will fucking 100% guarantee this!! -- i bet they took the free fucking journo ticket to the latest show of the Stones!!! Quote: "Keith is like a crippled spider", but the fucking seats are good, and i love the grog, and the savouries are to die for. CUNTS!!!!
11-12-02 09:41 AM
Honky Tonk Man The NME is an English Music Paper and its been going for 50 years now. I think its bloody good to be honest. I like alot of todays music, so its ideal for me. As i think i stated above, the NME always sticks with whats current and it always has. They take the piss out of our heroes because they are old and to be frank, the latest releases are not up to par with their 60s and 70s hey day. The NME never has a bad word to say abvout the Classic Stones. Ever read them bad mouthing SFTD or JJF or even SMU? No, this paper loved the Stones at one point.

Anyway, sometimes they do go TOO far. Heres their review of the Stones Shepards Bush gig from 99

Everyone knows that Mick is the sexually incontinent gym master, gurning and shape-throwing his way to the zimmer frame, camper than Christmas, the indefatigable rocking luvvie. But frontline cohorts Keef and Ronnie, snickering and snivelling behind the old dame's petticoats, are much the same, terminally suckered by their image as jet-set vagabond wastrels. They are the boys who can get away with anything, the Father Jacks of rock'n'roll beloved for their indulgent lifestyle and the devilish deal which gives them easy access to rockin' riff nirvana. Allegedly.
But tonight the Faustian pact isn't holding up. They preen and slouch, contort themselves around their guitars like arthritic orang-utans trying to find the big banana. Occasionally something glimmers - the beginning of a beautiful noise perhaps - but it is never more than a flicker. Just as quickly as it emerges the two court jesters have either collapsed in amazement or stepped back to admire their handiwork, unable to follow it.

In pontificating mode, Keef likens the guitar interplay by which the Stones die or fly to "the ancient art of Chinese weaving". But in a performance like this one it is the aural equivalent of bad plumbing. Spluttering, gurgling and unable to find release on the opening 'Shattered', dribbling away into a selection of weedy Chuck Berry riffs on 'It's Only Rock'n'Roll', becoming a sludge-blocked drain pile-up on a calamitous 'Respectable'. Just three songs in and the Stones' perennial create-a-media-fuss-with-a-small-scale-club-gig routine is suffering from strictly second-rate song selection. Soon the choices get even worse.

OK, it may not be a doddle summoning up enthusiasm night after night for such blitzed-out classics as 'Gimme Shelter', 'Paint It Black' or 'Sweet Virginia' (all beyond their reach tonight), but when the alternative is latter-day dogs like 'Moon Is Up', 'Saint Of Me' and 'You Got Me Rocking' it can't be that hard. "If you want to hear us do familiar stuff you have to come and see us up the road," pouts Jagger, an ever vigilant eye on Wembley ticket sales. Then he introduces 'Melody', a song from 'Black And Blue' which they've never played live before. And for very good reason, it's low-rent sleaze that mocks their rapidly fading greatness.

Seeing the Stones up close like this can be an opportunity to rejoice in their past, as it was when they treated their hometown to a blistering display at Brixton on their last British tour. But tonight is not about the music, it's a publicity gambit where a cold, smug and effacing attitude holds forth. It is the sound of a band forced out on the road much longer than originally envisaged; the sloppiness, lack of cohesion, avoidance of any meaningful material or performance, all indicative of gnawing boredom.

Not that it matters to the audience - superstar pals in the balcony, salivating fans in the stalls - all prepared to indulge Jagger's fantasy of pop invincibility throughout and who seem happy to settle for the singalong payoff of 'Brown Sugar', 'Honky Tonk Women' (Mick cavorting with duet guest Sheryl Crow) and 'Jumpin' Jack Flash'. As the crowd take over, the Stones are long past caring or trying; they look and sound like old blokes badly in need of a rest. Time to nail down the coffin lids again, kids.

Anyway, Alex still and always will love the Stones

Alex
11-12-02 02:20 PM
Mother baby
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

Anyway, they also did another top 10 list. The "THEY THINK THEY'RE COOL BUT AREN'T" List

Keith is at number 7!

[Edited by Honky Tonk Man]

What??!!?? Is this a joke?
11-12-02 04:27 PM
Stray Cat The Stones will always be loved by a hardcore of British fans , but the general public would rather go and see Robbie bleeding Williams! Go figure..
11-12-02 04:28 PM
Moonisup KEITH IS COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rik
11-12-02 04:36 PM
jb Rik...please see thanks rik post...
11-12-02 04:52 PM
gypsy If Keith is UNCOOL, then let's all be UNCOOL! This fuckin' rocks to be uncool!