ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Announcing a free concert at the "Golden Gate Park" or any San Francisco Park... later it was Altamont
1969 Terry O'Neill
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith's Songs All Sound Like Demos! Return to archive
11-08-02 02:09 PM
Street Fighting Man I read on the board that Bill Wyman described the Stones songs which Keith sang lead on as all sounding like demos!

I definintely think Keith's raspy voice (or however you want to describe it) adds a certain dimension to the Stones. During shows, I always look forward to Keith taking the mike to change up the show a bit. In fact, lately I think Keith even fancies himself a bit of a croner like Frank Sinatra - just check out "Losing My Touch."

11-08-02 02:16 PM
gypsy Bill is just bitter and jealous. I love Keith's singing. It's just a matter of opinion. Some people love Keith's singing, and others don't care for it. I, for one, feel that Keith sings with so much emotion, and that is precisely why I like his singing so much.
11-08-02 02:22 PM
jb When he did one song, like happy, Little T&A, or BTMMR, it was o.k....Today, he needs to give the ballads a rest...there great on album, but unfortunately, a real momentum stopper in concert.
11-08-02 02:29 PM
sasca '...sound like demos': That's a pretty good description. And not necessarily a bad thing. Some groups spend millions trying to make their songs sound like demos.
11-08-02 03:42 PM
Child of the Moon
quote:
sasca wrote:
'...sound like demos': That's a pretty good description. And not necessarily a bad thing. Some groups spend millions trying to make their songs sound like demos.

Case in point: The All Down the Line demo. Hard to live up to that. Demos really do have that raw beauty that many master takes lack.
11-08-02 03:52 PM
kc152 I always felt Sleep Tonight sounded like an unfinished demo. But I love Keith's voice. This tour he is really singing great.
11-08-02 04:24 PM
Half Nanker jb...I'm in agreement with you on giving the ballads a rest. Having said that, Keith really has sounded great on "Slipping Away" during this tour. I wouldn't bitch about "You Got The Silver" but...it would be nice if he would stick with the uptemp tunes.

People joke or complain about the crowd going to the bathroom or getting a beer when Keith steps up to the mike. Because the momentum shift is so predictable, noticeable and expected...that's the way it feels. Oh, it's time to go do this... sad, but true! I used to do it but when he started changing up the selections during the last few tours, I made sure I stayed put not to miss a thing. He is great, either way you look at it.

11-09-02 07:35 AM
crb69 I am a huge fan of the Stones and of Keef, I even have a cd burned with all the tunes he sings lead on(including a few boots). BUT! 40 Licks - Loosing My To-ou-ouch...Come ON! this song really sucks. I was truly surprised and let down by it. It doesn't even sound like a Stones song. It's more like elevator music. I even tried listening to it a few more times to see if it would grow on me. I don't think so. The last thing they should have done was to include it on 40 Licks. I also have to agree that the new songs (with the exception of the marvelous Don't Stop) sound like demos. Maybe Keef is loosing his touch to a certain song writing extent. I would hate to think so. I thought his songs on B2B were great. Maybe they put 40 Licks together in a rush? They are still, and always will be, the greatest Rock n' roll Band in the world! Afterall nobody's perfect, even Keef. I give him credit for trying something new. It just didn't work.
11-09-02 05:12 PM
sammy davis jr. Keef is just OLD, hence he writes old people songs. I think he fancies himself a torch singer nowadays.
11-09-02 05:46 PM
gypsy Like I said, it's all a matter of opinion.
11-09-02 07:27 PM
sammy davis jr. I USED to like Keith's singing back in the days when he and Mick would share the mic....Keith always took the high harmony. It was fuckin' fabulous! But lets face it, half a million cigarettes later, the old boy is a mere shell of himself vocally. The last song I really liked by him was Comin' Down Again, though Tru and Thru is interesting. Losing My Touch is just a bad song IMO. I don't think the best singer in the world could save that one. He still rocks on that geetar though.
11-11-02 01:44 AM
padre Child of the Moon wrote:
Case in point: The All Down the Line demo. Hard to live up to that. Demos really do have that raw beauty that many master takes lack.

The Hang Fire demo also has some real fire in it that was lost in the final mix. I haven't heard if there's a demo for Mixed Emotuions but I'm sure that one would also be better than the over-produced release. That song would actually rock if it was given the right treatment!
11-11-02 08:14 AM
Mathijs If you like Tom Waits' music, you'll like Loosing My Touch. If you don't like Tom Waits, you a)won't like loosing My Touch and b)you don't have good musical taste.

Life can be so simple...

Mathijs
11-11-02 08:31 AM
sammy davis jr. I don't like Tom Waits then. By the way, he should take a bath someday.
11-11-02 09:01 AM
T.CentralScrutinizer It's been a while.....

What idiotic opinions!! Tom Waits is a master of very simple melodies sounding convincingly like demos ("Take it with me", "Hold on"). The voice has nothing to do with it, since anybody can remember the core of the song: again, the melody. "Losing my touch", sang by Sinatra or whoever, is a piece of garbage. Period.

Not a matter of opinion; "Losing my touch" is "Sleep tonight" part deux. Bleah... (And what's the deal with that magazine cover whit Keith half naked? Arghhhh.... THIS is a matter of opinion, I know, but don't lemme remember that image again.... arrgghghghg)

"Take a bath"... Not even funny, asshole.
11-12-02 11:11 AM
Street Fighting Man You're right, demos can have a certain edge to them that are often lost with overproduction. I think this often tends to dog bands as they gain more experience, take less risks, and try to be too perfect to keep up with their image.
11-13-02 06:23 PM
stonesmik
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
If you like Tom Waits' music, you'll like Loosing My Touch. If you don't like Tom Waits, you a)won't like loosing My Touch and b)you don't have good musical taste.

Life can be so simple...

Mathijs

For once you're wrong, Matthijs. I love Tom Waits but I think songs like "Sleep tonight" or "Losing my touch" are crap, esepcially if compared to the usual Rolling Stones output. As said before Keith is great when doing his little rockers (Happy, Before they make me run, T & A, etc) but he sucks when he tries to croon. Tom Waits can do it because he knows how to do it but Keith is just embarrassing doing it. Except when singing the backup for Tom, of course. "Blind love" and "That feel" are great!

After all Keith is a guitar player and if you listen to his voice you'll know why. Maybe he drinks so much because he can't stand his own voice anymore? ;-)
11-13-02 07:03 PM
full moon Wrong........
11-13-02 11:28 PM
~AzQb
quote:
gypsy wrote:
Bill is just bitter and jealous. I love Keith's singing. It's just a matter of opinion. Some people love Keith's singing, and others don't care for it. I, for one, feel that Keith sings with so much emotion, and that is precisely why I like his singing so much.

Yeah Gypsy

Just try putting on Neil's "After the Goldrush" or one of Zimmy's during a bash at your house and see how long some people can stand their nasalbutOhSoSoulful vocals. Recently i had someone plead with me not to put on anymore Stones/solo Keith and my response?

Elvis Costello AFter LMT~!

They left soon after.

So i know what you mean about VocalsThatIrk. For me it's mikeywhiners like Stipes and those guys trying to sing and front shit bands like Peed and FoolSpam. Major irk said otherwhere: SinusitisMorrisick.

There's many, many more vocal irkers, but i spare you the hideous details ; )

Canada usually produces, odd as it seems, these kinds of vocalists {Getaway Plee, etc.} Neil is that RighteousException!

~!