ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Announcing a free concert at the "Golden Gate Park" or any San Francisco Park... later it was Altamont
1969 Terry O'Neill
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Axl doesn't show up for Tacoma Dome Gig Return to archive Page: 1 2
11-08-02 11:36 AM
jb Great publicity stunt to draw attnetion to an otherwise uneventful tour.
11-08-02 12:37 PM
Lazy Bones Vancouver...?

Guns N' Roses no-show sparks riot

VANCOUVER (CP) -- Thousands of fans
rioted for about an hour outside GM Place in
downtown Vancouver on Thursday night after
Axl Rose, the lead singer of Guns N' Roses,
failed to appear for a concert.

It was to have been the first show of the rock
band's North American leg of its Chinese
Democracy World Tour. Guns N' Roses has a
history of concert no-shows.

A band spokesman said poor weather
conditions at Los Angeles airport made it
impossible for Rose's plane to fly.

Staff at concert promoter Clear Channel
Entertainment weren't available for comment,
however, a band spokesman said the
performance scheduled Friday in Tacoma,
Wash., would go ahead.

The band rehearsed Wednesday in GM Place
without Rose, who rarely rehearses with his
band.

The trouble began when the venue doors didn't
open as scheduled at 6:30 p.m. Some people
in the lineup began leading chants of "B.S.,
B.S."

Ticket sales wickets were shut down and when
the official announcement came over the
loudspeakers at 7:40 p.m., tempers flared.

"That's it, I'm trashing all my GNR stuff," said
fan Dana Claydon. "I've been waiting for this
since '93 when Axl cancelled the last time. What
a jerk."

Within 15 minutes, the upset crowd turned into
an angry mob smashing some GM Place
windows.

Police cars began arriving and police and
stadium security began to move the crowd
away from the broken windows.

After a Roman candle was fired off in the
direction of officers, police advanced and told
people to disperse.

Most did, however, some rowdies began
smashing ticket sales windows and throwing
rocks at police from the parking lot across from
the stadium.

Alysha Stephanischin, 22, of Japser, Alta., was
one of the people caught between the two
sides and wound up being struck by a billy club.

"I don't blame the officer, there was so much
going on, but we weren't dong anything," she
said through tears. "I really wish we didn't come
tonight, I didn't even want to."

Jim and Stacy Stelmacher of Port Alberni, B.C.,
came for the day to hook up with Ryan Stookert
and Angie Beers who flew in from Calgary just
for the show that was supposed to be a
birthday surprise for Stookert, a DJ at CJAY
radio.

"What a great present, but I guess I just was
never meant to see this band," Stookert said.
"We're getting out of here now."

Refunds for the show will be available at point
of purchase Nov. 14.

In 1991, Rose precipitated a riot in a St. Louis
suburb by jumping off the stage and attacking a
fan videotaping the heavy metal band's
concert. Sixty people were hurt and the
Riverport Amphitheatre in Maryland Heights,
Mo., was wrecked.

Several subsequent concerts on the band's
tour were cancelled.

Several lawsuits were filed and Rose was
charged with assault and property damage.

Rose never surrendered to face the charges
and was arrested a year later by federal agents
at Kennedy International Airport in New York as
he returned from a European tour.

He was eventually put on probation for two
years and ordered to donate $50,000 to five
social service organizations.
11-08-02 01:20 PM
Half Nanker Axl is the biggest joke since Milli Vinilli. God I hate that guy. Talk about a legend in his own mind!! Yikes!
11-08-02 01:31 PM
riffhard64 lol half...you nailed it!
11-08-02 01:33 PM
jb riffhard 64..are you riffhard?
11-08-02 01:52 PM
beer Axl is an absolute prick. Who wants to see him with his GnR cover band anyway? I bet Slash hates Axl and that guy that now has Slash's spot in the band, Bucket Head.
No Slash = no Guns.
11-08-02 03:26 PM
Maxlugar Does anyone have Slash's Snakepit album?

I want to get it finally, Is it good?

How can Axl call that new band "Gun's and Roses"? It rocked pretty hard on the MTV awards but really.... that's not the G'n'R I know and love.

Axl get your damn head straight and get those same guys back!

11-08-02 03:31 PM
Gimme Shelter I got tickets to see Guns and Roses, or at least this version of them, for Sacramento on Dec. 30th. I hope Axl shows up.
11-08-02 03:45 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Does anyone have Slash's Snakepit album?

Don't have it, but heard it a few years back. Personally, Gilby Clarkes' (sp?) Pawnshop Guitars is a better album with an actually-not-too-bad rendition of Dead Flowers.
11-08-02 04:14 PM
Honky Tonker Izzy's fisrt album was also pretty good. Had Ronnie Wood on a cut.
11-08-02 04:32 PM
Astones1976 Axl Rose is a ree-ree. I can't believe people even pay money to look at them. The new band is a complete joke.
Barf!!!!
11-08-02 04:56 PM
Boomhauer What I can't fucking believe is that a GNR cover band is playing top-notch arenas on a tour. It's been 10 fucking years and "Chinese Democrary" will probably be a piece of chicken shit.

How did they get booked at MSG? It's ridiculous!

[Edited by Boomhauer]
11-08-02 09:32 PM
Pants Make the Man Just recently, there was a popular topic started on this website titled "Most overrated bands?". Well, my belated vote goes to any band that has Axl Rose as lead singer. The very sound of his voice agitate's me- period. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard.
11-08-02 09:49 PM
Sir Stonesalot >It's like fingernails on a chalkboard. <

That's how Robert Plant's voice is to me......
11-08-02 11:38 PM
Pants Make the Man I agree, SS. And Led Zeppelin live is strictly dullsville.
11-09-02 01:22 AM
Maxlugar I can not help but agree about Led Zeppelin.

But G'N'R were better.......

something different and a fuck of a lot more dangerous.

This is not the real Guns 'N' Roses.

But the old one was very, VERY! good!

If anyone wants the acoustic boot I have of them , let me know.

Maxy!
11-09-02 01:59 AM
gypsymofo60 Agreed! No Slash, No GnR, simple as that! Axl is a walking disaster, and he seems to think the world is interested in his little soap opera. Bragging about bi-polar disorder, and therapy shit!.........Slash's Snakepit is Ok! Just Ok! Whereas Izzy's Ju-Ju Hounds album was a gem.
11-09-02 05:23 AM
corgi37 God, i too cannot believe people are fussed enough to buy tickets to see such a has-been. Must be a dull touring season in the U.S. (apart from you-know-who). I saw GnR here in Melbourne years ago, and they were really lame. I expected a take no prisoners rock show, and instead got a show full of 15 minute ballads. Rose Tattoo blew them off the stage (i wont say more as i have already posted about this ages ago). GnR were ok once. ONCE!! But the 80's are gone. Actually, Axle (or isnt it Willhelm?)should play cruise ships. At least he cant escape playing a show without jumping over board, which is a win win situation for everyone, really.
11-09-02 06:40 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
God, i too cannot believe people are fussed enough to buy tickets to see such a has-been. Must be a dull touring season in the U.S. (apart from you-know-who). I saw GnR here in Melbourne years ago, and they were really lame. I expected a take no prisoners rock show, and instead got a show full of 15 minute ballads. Rose Tattoo blew them off the stage (i wont say more as i have already posted about this ages ago). GnR were ok once. ONCE!! But the 80's are gone. Actually, Axle (or isnt it Willhelm?)should play cruise ships. At least he cant escape playing a show without jumping over board, which is a win win situation for everyone, really.

I see you were at Calder 1992 eh? I was all set to go, but I started a new job that week, and couldn't line up a sub, I was devastated that night. When I got home later that night and saw the news part of me was glad. Even more so when friends related the experience. Still they were a great band, one of my all time top 5 any week.
11-09-02 07:09 AM
Mathijs Maxlugar, the first Snakepit album "It's Five O'Clock Somewhere" is one of the hardest Stones-like rocking albums I know, and still one of my favourites. The only thing is that you have to get really used, or ignore, the singing by Eric Dover (of Jellyfish fame). But is actually is really old school Stones/Guns/Led Zep kind of rock, with the best guitarist I know of. The second album, "Ain't Live Grand" is an excellent album too, but in my opinion a bit too American Pop like for me (you know, more like Aerosmith etc, with all the horns). The songs are excellent, Slash is best ever, but it is produced a bit too slick for me. Still, if you're a Slash/Stones/Guns fan, both albums really satisfy.

About Axl: he's the most fucked up human being I know, but also the best front man and lead singer of a Rock band since Mick Jagger. Appetite is the most aggressive and dangerous album since Nevr Mind The Bollocks, and Use Your Illusion 1&2 keep me listening now for ten years without stopping me to be amazed about the angry and aggressive quality.

Mathijs
11-09-02 09:23 AM
Half Nanker "the best front man and lead singer of a Rock band since Mick Jagger"

Rubbish. He's a legend "in his own mind". Period. G N'R could have been "it", and they were for a glimmer but, that's it. Axl sucks, end of story.
11-09-02 01:58 PM
thunders Get the 2nd snakepit album.(the one released in 2000) Very good shit,and a better singer then the first record.
11-09-02 04:59 PM
Boomhauer Axl Rose was huffin' and puffin' at the MTV awards. Unless he's got asthma or some other respiratory problem, he seems very unfit to do a tour. Plus, his band represents nothing of the original Gun's N' Roses. They were lame at the MTV awards.

Can anyone honestly believe that he is in better shape now? No fuggin' way! He wasn't even at the opening show. He's supposed to be there two-three days in advance!

He really fuckin' cares about his audience, doesn't he?
11-11-02 10:26 AM
Street Fighting Man It's no surprise the Axl Rose pulled a no show. He's demonstrated unpredicatable behavior before (e.g., refusing to go on stage after James Hatfield of Metallica nearly burned himself to death). His behavior may be in large part to his having a manic depression, which can make someone very eratic, and irrational at times.
11-12-02 07:54 AM
corgi37 mathijs-- When you wank, do you scream you own name? Cause you sound like you are full of shit. Axle as good as Mick?? Fuck, I have read some of your stupid posts, but that is the worst. You are a moron of the highest order. GnR WERE, hey read the caps, WERE, an ok band that couldnt hack the pressure. The fucking Partridge Family are tougher than them. Axle is, and will always be, a lazy rocker. He got the bucks, why should he give you a night out? He is unprofessional. The Stones always give their best. They may do shit sets, maybe even no encores, maybe they hit a bum note, maybe they completely fuck up. But, guess what, cheese boy. At least the Stones TURN UP!!!!!!!!! But, please, tour Oz, pleeeeeeeez.
11-12-02 08:21 AM
Maxlugar He actually said best SINCE Mick Jagger.

I think that is different than saying he is as good as.

That would be a lie.

Mathy is not that crazy!
11-12-02 12:59 PM
Factory Girl Maxy! I disagree with you about Led Zep.
However, our friend Steelie apparently has Izzy cds, but claims to have LOST them. Please help Steelie find his Izzy.
11-12-02 01:29 PM
steel driving hammer Don't listen to Factory Muffin.

I have Izzy's 1st kick the hell out of GNR album.

Also his 2nd, 117 Degrees, 1st track is all Stones.

Great rythem player.

Fuck GNR Maxy, you know it, and I know it.

11-12-02 01:43 PM
Factory Girl What are you saying Stud Drooling Muffin? Have you found your Izzy??? That is GREAT!!

Btw, don't you think all talk btwn boards is kind of dis-jointed. Can't we all COME TOGETHER? LOl...rhetorical qustion.
11-12-02 01:45 PM
Maxlugar "Fuck GNR Maxy, you know it, and I know it. "

No I don't know it.

Good band. Damn good band.
Page: 1 2