ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Announcing a free concert at the "Golden Gate Park" or any San Francisco Park... later it was Altamont
1969 Terry O'Neill
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Tacoma Return to archive
11-07-02 06:06 AM
beer Well, I dunno what to say that hasn't already been said by everyone who's seen the shows. The show blew me away. We got a Hot Rocks setlist but it was still amazing. The highlights for me were:
Midnight Rambler: Killer harp and great guitars
Sympathy: was absolutely amazing
Little Red Rooster was really cool, Ronnie played slide on a Ampeg Dan Armstrong(I think), the clear guitar like Keith played in '69.He played it on 'You Got Me Rockin' too.
The crowd was WAY into the show. When Charlie was introduced it felt like an earthquake was happening.Massive applause. Same for Keith.
I noticed Blondie Chaplin plays guitar for more songs than I thought he would. He plays on Keiths set, acoustic for slippin away, a Les Paul for BTMMR, plus he played guitar on sympathy and Satisfaction. weird.

Gimme Shelter was very impressive. Great guitars and Lisa sang her ass off.

Sheryl Crow sang on Wild Horses. She has a great pair of pants.
Thankfully, I didn't see any Dave Mathews.

This is just a quick recollection, but to sum it all up, They fucking rocked. Oh yeah, All Down The Line was great too. Honky Tonk Women had the naughty video footage that I had heard about. Very funny, the crowd loved it.
To anyone who hasn't seen the show yet, you will be amazed. No doubt about it.
That's it for now, I'm exhausted.

11-07-02 06:14 AM
beer Oh yeah, one more thing, Stones Fans are the nicest people in the world. By far.

01. Brown Sugar
02. It's Only Rock And Roll
03. Start Me Up
04. Don't Stop
05. Tumbling Dice
06. Monkey Man
07. Wild Horses(w/Sheryl Crow)
08. You Can't Always Get What You Want
09. All Down The Line
10. Midnight Rambler
Introductions
11. Slipping Away
12. Before They Make Me Run
13. Sympathy For The Devil
B-stage
14. When The Whip Comes Down
15. Little Red Rooster
16. You Got Me Rocking

17. Gimme Shelter
18. Honky Tonk Women
19. Street Fighting Man
20. Jumping Jack Flash
21. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
[Edited by beer]
11-07-02 10:24 AM
jb Beer..was Dome full?
11-07-02 01:58 PM
beer it looked full to me.

Another thing, security was a joke. At the last minute I decided not to take my tape recorder cuz I figured that it would just be a hassle sneaking it in, plus I thought I would be too far away to get a good sound recording.
This wasn't the case. security didn't check anything at all, and the sound was LOUD even where I was sitting, so I would have had no problem getting a good recording. I totally regret not taking my recorder. Anybody going to upcoming shows should keep this in mind.
[Edited by beer]
11-07-02 02:25 PM
jb Fort lauderdale security was easy..Miami they checked us with metal detector.Atlanta was a breeze...
11-07-02 04:01 PM
2120SMA Tacoma Dome
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well I'm finally rested up enough to post. What a great fucking concert! Guitars were snarling and in your face, something I never thought I'd see again. I purchased tickets at the window and little did I know just how good they�d turn out to be. We were right next to Charlie's drums at the "B" stage. My wife has been a big Ronnie Wood fan since his Slide On This tour. What a great show that was. After the show we were allowed to go on his tour bus and he talked to us about various things as we got autographs. Ronnie was very personable and you could tell by the sparkle in his eyes how much he loves what he does and the true affection he has for his fans. I'm getting side tracked here but it is to make a point. As much as I have blamed Ronnie for the side personnel taking a more prominent role the last few tours and the hope that Mick Taylor would rejoin the group to make the Stones a guitar band again, the truth is that yes is Ronnie back. So Ronnie I salute you and on with the show good health to you. The "B" stage was great! Keith and Charlie just 10 feet away occasionally acknowledging the crowd but mainly concentrating on the rhythm. My wife was in heaven because she got a big grin from Charlie who�s smile seem to say I�m having a great time but I don�t understand what all the fuss is about. Ronnie running up to the edge of the stage in our face to play the slide solo during Little Red Rooster. Mick, prancing about singing with passion instead of just shouting out the lyrics. I have never seen the Stones show as much passion for their songs as this show. I came close to getting a pick from Keith and had my hands on one of Charlie�s drumsticks but alas no luck. My wife did get me a couple of black bras for souvenirs. Thou I�ve never been a fan of guest appearances Sheryl and Mick were great together during Wild Horses. I wished they�d played That�s How Strong My Loves Is, Heart of Stone and CYHMK but I can�t complain. I�ve seen Stones tours in this area in 75, 81, 89, 94, and 97 but I must say this has been by far the most impressive northwest appearance I�ve ever seen. My wife and I wanted to make it over to the Ramada Inn for the pre party to meet all the Shidobee members but we didn�t have time. JB as far as capacity of the dome is concerned it was about 95% full if you don�t count behind the stage, which they had blocked off. I sure hope the northwest gets another show in 2003!

Take care friends, 2120SMA
11-07-02 04:12 PM
jb Thanks again..95% pretty good as typical venues b/t 79-86 % full. Cohl is not reporting attendance figures b/c of smaller than usual crowds and as pointed out in Billboard, Macca has largest grossing tour of 2002 with over 100 million ...sad, but true.
11-07-02 04:42 PM
Jiff Excellent show. I can only compare it to the '81 show at the Kingdome, and I agree that they played with more passion last night. Had no idea that was Blaondie Chaplin on vocals and mostly acoustic guitar until I read it. Last saw him with Gene Clark's Byrds tribute band around '85 and with the Beach Boys in the 70's.

The guitar cam on the headstock of Wood's guitar was cool. It pointed down the neck to see his fingers.

jb -- What's sad about McCartney grossing over $100M on his '02 tour? I read that the Stones will beat his $2.325M gross at the T Dome last month.

For mine and others' reviews of the show go to the Puget Sound area's music and nightlife message board at www.MTHeads.net

The PI's review and photos can be found here: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/pop/9...rstones07.shtml
11-07-02 05:46 PM
Jaxx some media reviews:

The Tacoma Dome gets its Licks from the Rolling Stones

By Patrick MacDonald
Seattle Times music critic
They may be grandfathers now, but for this one night at least, the Rolling Stones were once again the bad boys of rock 'n' roll. They still had sympathy for the devil. They still were monkey men. They still were midnight ramblers.
Mick Jagger, still thin as a rail, shimmied, strutted and pursed those famous lips. He never stopped moving, even when the house lights were down and he could hardly be seen.

Keith Richards smiled wickedly as he played spare, stinging guitar. When Jagger left the stage for Richards to do a solo spot, the crowd roared and clapped so long, he had to beg, "I've got a show here to do."

He sang "Slippin' Away" and "Before They Make Me Run" like he really meant them.

The Stones were closer to the crowd than ever before, especially when they used a satellite stage in the center of the T-Dome floor for a spirited "When the Whip Comes Down," the blues classic "Little Red Rooster" and a song that epitomized the night � "You Got Me Rockin'."

After a spirited set from opener Sheryl Crow, the Stones hit the stage at 9 p.m. with the familiar twang of Keith Richards' guitar, carving out the riffs for "Brown Sugar." Mick Jagger came dancing out on the stage in an electric-blue jacket, egging on the crowd to supply the "yeah, yeah, yeah, woo!" refrain of the classic Stones tune.

Mick Jagger, belts out a song during last night's concert. Still thin as a rail, Jagger never stopped moving, even when the house lights were down and he could hardly be seen. photo: JIM BATES / THE SEATTLE TIMES

They followed that up with the emblematic "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll," with Jagger throwing off his jacket and maniacally prancing across the simple, unadorned stage. Next came the song that may now be forever linked with Microsoft, "Start Me Up," as a phalanx of spectacular video screens lit up around the stage. The screens were so crystal clear you could see every wrinkle and crevice in Jagger's and Richards' faces. Now that's clarity.

The Stones broke out a few new songs, including "Don't Stop" from the new "Forty Licks" greatest-hits album. Jagger strapped on a guitar for that one, a song in the classic bluesy Stones style, but lacking the lyrical punch of their best work.

The Stones broke out a small army of back-up singers and horn players for a rousing "Tumbling Dice," followed up by a groove-heavy "Monkey Man," with Jagger living out the song's title with his stage antics.

They slowed it down for "Wild Horses," with Richards and a surprise walk-on by Crow helping out on the harmonies.

And they pumped it up again for "You Can't Always Get What You Want," a song driven by Charlie Watts' outstanding, as always, drumming.

"Midnight Rambler," with its long, instrumental break, was the centerpiece of the set, with Jagger's bluesy harmonica supplying the driving engine.

Other workouts included "Sympathy for the Devil," with Jagger in a long red cloak, "Gimme Shelter," with a great vocal from singer Lisa Fischer, a "Honky Tonk Woman" that featured a racy cartoon on the video screen, and an electrifying "Street Fighting Man."

The show climaxed with the monster Stones hits "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and "Satisfaction."

Crow opened the show with a selection of her radio-friendly tunes. Stripped of the fancy production of the recordings, her songs seemed a little less arty/funky, and a little more '70s power rock.

An inconsistent sound mix undercut her at times, though, sometimes overwhelming her voice with too-loud guitars and drums. Her strong musicianship came across loud and clear; she deftly switched among electric, acoustic and bass guitars, and her equally capable band delivered the catchy riffs and grooves that mark her style.

Then she left the stage, and joined the audience to revel in the incomparable showmanship of the Stones.

The Stones really 'rip it up'

Ernest A. Jasmin; The News Tribune

Fans flocked to the Tacoma Dome on Wednesday to see the World's Greatest Rock Band. The Rolling Stones responded with a searing set of their biggest hits from four decades as a touring band.

The band - Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and company - was joined at times by a horn section, backup singers, a keyboard player and a bassist.

Jagger strutted around a sparsely decorated stage that included a catwalk extending across the arena floor and a giant video screen.

Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones ignites the Tacoma Dome crowd with his signature strut and pout on Wednesday night.

At the time of this writing, the band had already stormed through "Brown Sugar," "It's Only Rock and Roll," "Start Me Up," "Tumblin' Dice," "You Can't Always Get What You Want" and the lesser-known "Monkey Man."

"Thank you," Jagger said, in his characteristic twang. "We're gonna slow it down a bit for you - save a little energy so we'll have some energy later."

The band then launched into the ballad "Wild Horses." Opening act Sheryl Crow joined Jagger for a duet midway through the song.

Crow opened her set with songs that included "Happy," "Steve McQueen," "Soak Up the Sun" and a new song, "C'mon, C'mon."

Fans began to line up in the rain about 5 p.m. One of them was Doug Keir, 52, of Issaquah, who first saw The Stones play Seattle in 1966. Paul Revere and The Raiders opened, and Keir recalls fans throwing jelly beans at the stage.

Keir also saw The Stones at the infamous Altamont Speedway concert of 1969, where the Hell's Angels worked security and stabbed an 18-year-old fan who had brandished a gun. "We didn't see anybody get hurt, but we saw a whole lot of pushing and shoving," he recalled.

He's seen the band six times, and each time brings back memories.

"Old guys like me remember these songs from when we were young," Keir said. "I'm just kind of interested to see what they do tonight."

Kelly Nordstrom and her husband drove up from Portland.

"For old guys, they can really dance and rip it up," said Nordstrom, 45. "I hope to be that cool when I get that age."

She said she likes the band because they make timeless, feel-good music. "It lets you check out for a while from the real world," she said. "And it's music you can relate to a lot more than some of the music they make today."

Drew Higson, 55, of Olympia brought his three sons to the show so they could enjoy a little taste of music from his generation. "I like the sound, their demeanor," he said. His son, 20-year-old Ethan Higson, was weaned on The Stones from a young age.

"I think just the fact that they've been around so long is rad," he said. "There's only a few of these bands left. ... You've gotta see 'em before they die."

Raymond Heaton, 31, of Tacoma echoed that sentiment. "I figured this might be the last chance to see some masters at work," he said. "I'm a big fan of British rock. ... I like songs from that era (the '60s) better than the music being made today."

Dome staff members expected Wednesday's show to gross more than Paul McCartney's record-setting gig on Oct. 19. Sir Paul raked in more than $2.3 million, beating the previous mark set by Billy Joel and Elton John's joint show last year.

Part of the reason for the rash of record-breaking shows is the rising cost of tickets. It cost upward of $250 to see McCartney, while The Stones maxed out at $300.

"I do think the tickets are a little overpriced," Heaton said.

But Lisa Taylor of Seattle thought her ticket was worth every penny. "They're professionals, they've been at it for a really long time and they know what they're doing," said Taylor, who also saw McCartney. "There's no more Beatles, but the Rolling Stones are still here."

11-07-02 07:31 PM
kath they were great. i never knew ronnie could play like that. he was amazing. it was his show, and he played like a man possessed! keef was fabulous, an incredible version of "slippin away"..he sang like an angel. ilove to watch that man. his face, the way he kicks out that foot, the way it seems like he isn't really playing a guitar...it's like an extension of him..and he is playing his soul to us. he was wonderful. god i love keef. mick was hot...prancing and flailing like a schoolkid...runnin' from main stage to b stage and back...he never stopped moving. he was just so ON!!!
and charlie watts. holy shit. the crowd loved him. it was a GREAT crowd, btw, everybody really into it. and they loved charlie. the ovation was shaking the building, and they didn't stop until he stood up a second time and smiled his HUGE smile!! he was dead on, but when is he not? he was really good.

yes, the setlist was disappointing. no CYHMK...toally bummed out, and no STRAY CAT....dammit!!! i had hoped for a more arena oriented setlist, but we got a stadium show with all the greatest hits. but it's ok..i'm not bitching at all! it was the rolling stones..and it doesn't get any better than that!! man, i hope they NEVER stop!!
11-07-02 08:34 PM
beer Do you guys remember what song was it when Mick and Keith were singing into the same mic together? I think it might have been Honky Tonk Women but I can't recall?
11-07-02 09:08 PM
kath it may have been. i can't say for sure, because by then it was all a blur!! but they were there, together...singing into the same mike. it was a fleeting but really historically significant moment!!
11-07-02 09:14 PM
Child of the Moon I'll post a full review later, but I gotta say two things:

1) When the bootleg comes out, I'm pretty confident you'll hear me before "Don't Stop." While they were getting ready for it, I began screaming, "DON'T STOP! DON'T STOP!" I hope it was loud enough, because I'd love to be immortalized in Stones boot history.

2) Mick looked straight at me. During Street Fighting Man (to the best of my recollection), I was a lone figure standing and dancing among the stupid fucks sitting down in section 9 (if anyone here was there, I apologize, but only if you were standing up). Mick came over to our section, spotted me (ie made eye contact, I kid you not), pointed to me, smiled, and got on with his business. I about friggin' died right there.

Sweet, sweet Tacoma...
11-08-02 12:03 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Pix by Jim Bates / Seattle Times (The article posted by Jaxx has now more pix

Mick Jagger, still thin as a rail, never stopped moving during last night's concert.

hey pumped it up again for "You Can't Always Get What You Want," a song driven by Charlie Watts' outstanding, as always, drumming.

Mick Jagger sings �It�s Only Rock �n� Roll,� with Charlie Watts on drums and Keith Richards playing guitar. Sheryl Crow opened last night�s concert in Tacoma, which featured many classic Stones hits, plus a few new numbers from the band�s latest album, �Forty Licks.�

11-08-02 01:14 PM
HardKnoxDurtySox Looks like Keith dyed his hair no?
11-08-02 01:36 PM
jb Yes..chestnut brown for Thanksgiving....
11-08-02 06:57 PM
kath great show. they are the kings!!!
11-11-02 10:37 AM
jb Hey Brian...glad you enjoyed.
11-12-02 08:53 PM
kath yeah brian...me too!! glad we ALL enjoyed!!