ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Arriving to the show at The El Rey - November 15, 2001
Photo by John Hayes/AP
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]
Support these stations! Click and check

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist OR start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: More on Bill Return to archive
11-01-01 10:12 AM
Lazy Bones
Wyman Wades in the Blues

Former Stones bassist explores musical roots in new book, CD, documentary

In Bill Wyman's Blues Odyssey: A Journey To Music's Heart & Soul, the former Rolling Stone bassist informs
and entertains about the blues, armed with maps, photographs, song timelines, lyric slang definitions, and story
after story. A spin-off double-CD and DVD is also in the works and a two-hour documentary airs on Bravo
November 1-3.

"This project started with a radio series that never materialized," says Wyman, who planned to do thirteen
half-hour specials on such greats as Muddy Waters, Sonny Boy Williamson and Howlin' Wolf. After wrapping
the Howlin' Wolf pilot, Wyman was told the project should be a television special. Wyman then further expanded
the project to include a book, teaming with writer Richard Havers to "sort through" the blues archives he'd
accumulated over forty years, and the monumental research that followed.

"There was difficulty knowing what was the truth and what was hearsay and legend, but in the end I think we
came close," Wyman says. For two years, he went through books, documents, his personal diaries, memories
and recorded conversations of when he'd met or played with such important figures as Son House, John Lee
Hooker and his favorite, "Mr. Howlin'," as Wyman sometimes refers to Howlin' Wolf.

He had also amassed another 800 vinyl blues albums and 600 CDs, and poured through all the liner notes, even
though the credits weren't always accurate. He investigated birth names, dates and places for artists who had
multiple identities. "John Lee Hooker recorded for different record labels under eight to ten different names,"
Wyman notes.

As well as the legends, the 400-page book covers artists who may only have recorded three sides. And there's a
wonderful nod to "those low down dirty blues," naughty songs from the Twenties and Thirties, which would
require a parental advisory sticker today. Lucille Bogen recorded a song called "Shave 'Em Dry," described in
the book as "without a doubt the dirtiest song ever recorded." Wyman recites the lyric recently bleeped on Late
Night With Conan O'Brien: "I've got nipples on my titties, as big as your thumb/I've got something between my
legs to make a dead man cum."

"That's the cleanest verse," he half-jokes. "A lot of people think that the blues is a sad music, but the blues can be
hilarious." Wyman's intention for Blues Odyssey was to parlay his genuine excitement for the blues within its
pages. "I've got lots of blues books that are very boring, and they're great but a heavy read," he says. "You have
to be a blues fanatic to get through them, and I wanted to make a book that was visual for everybody, with many
different things in it."

KAREN BLISS
(October 31, 2001)

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board.
The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.