ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Arriving to the show at The El Rey - November 15, 2001
Photo by John Hayes/AP
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]
Support these stations! Click and check

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist OR start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith Should Fire Charlie Return to archive
10-25-01 11:28 PM
SatisfactionUK Charlie has been making comments about this tour being the last...he may be getting too old for this...time for him to be fired.
10-26-01 12:12 PM
FujiSaki this is just a joke right?
10-26-01 12:29 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
SatisfactionUK wrote:
Charlie has been making comments about this tour being the last...he may be getting too old for this...time for him to be fired.

Making comments..where, when? Maybe he has?! Too old...maybe. Only he can be the judge of that. Fired...your first post, eh.
I admit, I caved in. I wasn't going to reply, but, Jesus, man, have you been drinking turpentine again?
10-26-01 12:45 PM
marko NO,he only said,that its soon time for a goodbye tour!he
didn�t say that its the next one,i�ve read once that,when
he is 70,its done,but.who knows,,,i think this next is the
last large tour.
10-26-01 02:05 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
marko wrote:
NO,he only said,that its soon time for a goodbye tour!he
didn�t say that its the next one,i�ve read once that,when
he is 70,its done,but.who knows,,,i think this next is the
last large tour.

Well, thinking that this is the "last large tour" is a far cry from "firing Charlie". Isn't it? After all, that's how he started the thread. I don't think it's "bad" to think it could be the last tour because, yes, they are getting older. But they DO still have it, and to say someone, anyone, should be fired is crazy.

[Edited by Lazy Bones]
10-26-01 04:37 PM
Ned Kelly Where's that turpentine?
10-26-01 10:46 PM
SatisfactionUK The quote was partly in jest with all of the other rubbish going on here about firing band members. However, I recently read in an interview posted on the IORR message board that Charlie was pushing this tour to be the last. The others may not feel this way, but are obviously influenced by Charlie. The band cannot stop because of one member's wish to do so...the others will perform until they die. If it comes down to it and Charlie becomes a negative enery for the band, then it is appropriate that he be fired by Keith.
10-29-01 11:42 AM
~AzQb

Rob Fraboni told me recently this one was NOT going to include huge stadiums of the past. The "summit" the boys had recently in England may have changed all that (You know!!!$$$$$!!!!) but Rob sounded pretty adamant about it being smaller&a bit "dapperDeep".

Either way, we're "in for it". In that perfectly gorgeous way ; )
10-29-01 02:54 PM
Gazza Ok..i know the thread originally started as a bit of fun,but a few things here are worth answering

>However, I recently read in an interview posted on the IORR message board that Charlie was pushing this tour to be the last.

Charlie said in more than one interview on the European Tour in '99 that he wouldnt do another tour. Mick even expressed doubts about the feasibility of a future tour. That was then,but this is now...as Bob Dylan says "Things Have Changed"

>The others may not feel this way, but are obviously influenced by Charlie. The band cannot stop because of one member's wish to do so..

Yes they can and yes,they will if it comes to it. If you think Mick & Keith would do a Rolling Stones tour without Charlie on drums,youre in dreamland.If youve ever seen any interview where Keith talks about Charlie's importance to this band,you'd see that in HIS eyes he is TOTALLY irreplaceable - every bit as much as Mick is.

>the others will perform until they die.

or until a) they get bored with it b) they dont see that its worth it financially c) they feel theyre too old or d) until they cant stand the sight of each other. Each of these and especially the first three are more likely than your scenario,I think.

>If it comes down to it and Charlie becomes a negative energy for the band, then it is appropriate that he be fired by Keith.

youre refusing to accept that the individual members of the band have a right to decide their own future and their own lifestyle. theyve been around 40 years. Theyre all either 60 or pushing it. They dont HAVE to keep this going just to keep a few fans happy who feel they owe them another tour. I'm thankful that I got to see them 20 times during the 90's. If I get to see them again - great. If I dont,well they gave it a good run. Not many people get 25 years out of their favourite band! (many have had even longer!)

Keith is one vote out of four. Its a democracy. The notion of Keith alone firing anyone is ludicrous and its not the way this band operates (for example - Keith and Mick didnt want "Satisfaction" released as a single. Brian,Bill & Charlie outvoted them.) No-one in this band owes anyone a future tour. Keith said in an interview a couple of years ago that theyre down to the core of the band now. NO-ONE will be replaced at this stage in their career if anything happened to them. Basically,if one of them quits or drops dead - its over - and thats how it should be. As a band,they have pretty much accepted that. Unfortunately, theres quite a few fans who cant.

That said,just after the last tour ended Shirley Watts said in an interview that Charlie often feels hes getting too old to go on the road for a long period,but that he wouldnt ever be the one to stop the band touring as he feels he could never let down Mick and Keith.

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board.
The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.