ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Fernando Aceves strikes again!!!
Congratulations our friend... another great cover!
Photo taken at Veterans Stadium, Philadelphia, PA Séptember 18, 2002 by Fernando Aceves
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Most overrated bands/Artists Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
11-07-02 01:14 PM
sasca Francoise Hardy was a massive star in France in the sixties and pretty big elsewhere.
11-07-02 02:14 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
sasca wrote:
Francoise Hardy was a massive star in France in the sixties and pretty big elsewhere.

I would be willing to bet that Sir Stones was referring to "It" girls from the 90s in specific rather than a folkified semipsych French chanteuse from the late 60s/early 70s.

Just to hazard a guess.

My guess would be that Françoise is only overrated by contemporary record collectors, who tend to go way overboard about her limited charms.

Getting back to the rap debate, I am still wondering how the purely rhythmic turntable beats of early rap music combined with its chanted rhyming structures (think Melle Mel) are somehow disqualified from the "real black music" classification accorded to other rhythmic/rhyming forms that get the nod?

I think that we should all give one up for Jam Master Jay.

11-07-02 02:34 PM
sasca Fair enough, but I think Francoise is superb. I agree with the rest of your message.
11-07-02 02:41 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
sasca wrote:
Fair enough, but I think Francoise is superb. I agree with the rest of your message.

Fair enough. Tell me, if you were to place one Francoise record above all the others, what would it be? I want to make sure I have heard one a conniseur [sic] would consider the best of the best.

By the way, do you like Jacques Dutronc?

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
11-07-02 02:51 PM
gypsy I've read in a few Stones books, that Brian Jones would dress up like Francoise Hardy, and Anita would dress up as Brian. They were role-playing to enhance their sex life.
Oh, and, no, KRsL, I didn't get the Candygram. Are you sure you didn't send it to that IHOP waitress by mistake?
11-07-02 02:53 PM
Sir Stonesalot I dunno, I just find rap really boring. And this whole "gangsta" rap thing...I just can't relate at all. I'm a 36 year old white guy who grew up in rural PA. I have absolutely nothing in common with Snoop Dogg. His words don't make any sense to me. I don't mind Outkast too much..they have a very Parliment-Funkadelic vibe to them. Eminem is kinda funny sometimes, but he still sucks big.

I just don't have the life experience to grasp rap & hip hop. I asked my just turned 16 year old niece why she listens to rap. She said, "I don't know, I guess I just like the beat." I then asked her if she understood that it's someone else's beat that they are using, and she had no clue what I was talking about. I was going to explain sampling and mixing to her, but decided against it. I don't think it would do much good anyhow. She's not my kid, she can listen to whatever she wants.

Rap is the only "black" form of music that I don't like. Blues, Jazz, Soul, old R&B, Reggae, I like it all.
11-07-02 03:09 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I dunno, I just find rap really boring. And this whole "gangsta" rap thing...I just can't relate at all. I'm a 36 year old white guy who grew up in rural PA. I have absolutely nothing in common with Snoop Dogg. His words don't make any sense to me. I don't mind Outkast too much..they have a very Parliment-Funkadelic vibe to them. Eminem is kinda funny sometimes, but he still sucks big.

I just don't have the life experience to grasp rap & hip hop. I asked my just turned 16 year old niece why she listens to rap. She said, "I don't know, I guess I just like the beat." I then asked her if she understood that it's someone else's beat that they are using, and she had no clue what I was talking about. I was going to explain sampling and mixing to her, but decided against it. I don't think it would do much good anyhow. She's not my kid, she can listen to whatever she wants.

Rap is the only "black" form of music that I don't like. Blues, Jazz, Soul, old R&B, Reggae, I like it all.

Does that include the 80s, friend SS? If so, I am surprised -- I absolutely adore hip hop coming up through New York, the whole Miami bass/talk box boom, the beginning of west coast rumbles -- early hip hop 12" singles consistently blow my mind with their production and their fun. I would have thought that the key Grandmaster Flash tracks, the first three Run DMC albums, and Public Enemy up to and including Apocalypse '91 would have been up your alley. I lose track of hip hop somewhere shortly after the Chronic came out, and as usual there is crap from every period, but early hip hop definitely has the same kind of vibe/energy/sense of discovery that early r&b or ska or any of that shit has.

When Brian dressed up like Franciose, Anita should have dressed up like Nico.
11-07-02 03:14 PM
sasca Nasty Habits - my knowledge of Francoise is more fragmentary than I would like - albums are so damn expensive in Cape Town - but for starters I'd recomend 'Commet te Dire Adieu' or the 'In Vogue' collection. Jacques Dutronc is on my 'to do' list.
11-07-02 03:27 PM
Moonisup overrated:

1 - .. : beatles, Elvis, Aerosmith, Run dmc, eagles, Dolly parton
11-07-02 03:29 PM
jb I have pleasured myself to Dolly Parton many times...
11-07-02 03:32 PM
Moonisup me 2

but her tits are overrated heheeheh
11-07-02 03:32 PM
Moonisup me 2

but her tits are overrated heheeheh
11-07-02 03:33 PM
jb Hear I come again!!!!He, he , ha
11-07-02 03:33 PM
jb Here I come again!!!!He, he , ha
11-07-02 03:37 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
She's not my kid, she can listen to whatever she wants.

what are you saying SS - if she was your kid you would tell her what to listen to? - i'd be careful with that - my relationship with my old man never really got of the ground for exactly that reason - he kept dissin' the music i loved(or at best never made any attempt to understand it)

i'm a 44 year old who spent the first 15 years of his life in rural south australia (so i might as well have been living on the moon) - and i can get "the message" behind rap/ hip-hop loud and clear

some of the problem i think - and this comment is not directed at you SS - is that those of your age to my age, by the time rap/hip- hop first came to prominence - i'm thinking grandmaster flash early '80's - already had a list of artist's and styles to which they swore allegiance - and to have to "re-think" their whole perspective on (black) music was just too hard so they simply dismissed it (rap/hip-hop) out of hand -

as i've said before hard core stones fans had early exposure ('70) from the lost poets on the "performance" sound track - the groove and the rythym of the vocals of "wake up niggers" is directly linked to those '30's prison "raps" i mentioned earlier - so i am bit surprised thatstone's fans are so ready to dismiss that form

public enemy were imho the most important "band" of the '90's

i have no problem with people who say they don't dig it - there are no rules when it comes to musical taste - i just get a little annoyed when people dismiss it out of hand without really listening to it because they don't want to have to re - evalute the music that they already love in light of it and i'm not saying that's you SS - you seem like someone with a broad range of tastes so i figure you at least you listened to it before you decided it wasn't for you
11-07-02 03:38 PM
David I don't know if any of you have seen the little video snippet from rollingstones.com but, I have to say that eddie vetter is the most annoying human being to ever grace rock 'n roll.
11-07-02 03:44 PM
jb You are absolutely correct Sir....he was supposedly a real dork , who once Pearl Jam made it big, transformed his personality into the angry, angst ridden recluse...I will say they did help the Stones sell out 4 stadium shows in Oakland 94....those were the big stadium days...
11-07-02 05:15 PM
Sir Stonesalot SIA, I have indeed listened before dismissing. I see the message clearly as well....I just can't relate to it.

Like I said earlier, some of it doesn't bother me all that much. Outkast has that whole George Clinton/Parliment thing cooking. The Beastie Boys are pretty funny, and they introduced guitars into the fray.

I should tell you, that if there are little to no guitars, I'm not gonna like it much.

I also have a big problem with an artform that uses other people's music the way that Rap & Hip Hop does. At least the Beasties can play instruments. I have very little time for a "band" that is just a guy with 2 turntables, and a bunch of thugs jivin' about stuff that I can't relate to.

And you are damn right if my niece was my kid, I would CERTAINLY try to broaden her musical tastes. My son loves the Stones, wants me to take him to see Bob Dylan, and knows all the words to Hives' songs. My kid will be OK. He won't get sucked into the vaste musical void that is today's radio. It's my duty as a parent to make sure he isn't gonna be a record company casualty. A musical sheep. Fuck that.

You know, back in the day, there were more viable choices one could make. Now, it's all the same shit with a different band name. You don't as much have a fave band, as you do a fave "genre". It's record company bullshit. And I will protect my son from it as long as he lives in my house. By then he will have a wide enough base to work from that he can decide on his own as what is good and what isn't.
11-07-02 09:30 PM
Fiji Joe SIA...with all due respect...It's horseshit, period!...no need to delve into the depths of your mind or attribute some message to it that does not exist...Why would any parent in their right mind allow their kids to listen to hip hop (the majority of it)...seriously, you know NAMBLA (North American Man Boy Love Association) has a message to, but, I'll be damned if I'm going to let my son subscribe to their newsletter...and I gives a fuck what strain that puts on our relationship...and you cannot really compare this shit to the rock-n-roll we grew up on...with rare exceptions, the message in rock-n-roll was always so subtle that the only way you understood it was to have some knowledge or experience with the subject matter in teh first place, in which case, it was not really corrupting you...also, the very fact that they hinted at sex, drugs and rock-n-roll with innuendo and metaphors sent a clear message that such overt hedonism should be the exception and not the norm...Jesus Christ, can you imagine if the Stones had settled for such mediocrity and overtness in their lyrics, no Gimme Shelter, No Sympathy...you can play those tunes to 100 ten year olds today and 98 will not understand the "message"...nor should they...
11-07-02 10:12 PM
stonedinaustralia Feej - i'm not sure i fully understand what you're getting at (& thanks for the respect - due or otherwise)but i get the idea - i'm doing this at work and so am shooting from the hip a bit

my point is this - one should be careful when trying to dictate to their children what they should and shouldn't do - that was the thing that really got me pissed at my old man when i was a kid

your comments re "not like the music of our day" is exactly the type of thing i'm talking about - believe it or not back in the dim dark ages parents reacted to the stones in exactly the same way that many now react to this hip-hop thing - and it is the sort of tired/conservative view of things that rock n roll was supposed to combat - now that "r'n'r" is essentially the "acceptable" music of this day and age (knighthoods for rock stars indeed)- hip hop has in some ways taken rock's mantle in that respect (as punk did for awhile) as being the music that stands for something outside the "norm" - and there will always be a place for that type of music in fact there must be music like that - that pushes things beyond the mainstream and the ordinary - each generation must be more outrageous than that which goes before it - and so the ante gets raised with each new generation

besides you tell kids not to do something and that is often a big motivator for them to go right out and do it

i agree with SS's approach that one can try and guide by poiinting out some of the ways in which kids can be manipulated and exploited and indeed point out to them what they see as the merits or otherwise of any particular music or any other activity for that matter - but to dictate "you will not listen to this because i say so" is a very non-rock and roll type of attitude and i think your comparison with NAMBLA is overstated and sensationalist

anyway it's friday afternoon here now - i've got to get back to work - have a good weekend - the new new avatar is OK but not quite as "out there" as the hill-billy crew

cheers
11-07-02 10:19 PM
Fiji Joe Had to get rid of the C10 sig...was getting nasty messages from the site I nabbed it from...and they eventually blocked it...of course, after I told him he has no license to display the image himself...about time to re-introduce Rickles
11-07-02 10:30 PM
Boomhauer Well, I have some Beastie Boys records. I liked them because they can play instruments and "Licensed To Ill" is probably one of the funniest records of all time.

As you can see, I said that I LIKED them. Meaning, they are now coasters or I can't find the CD's.

"Girls.........that's all I really want is...GIRLS!"

[Edited by Boomhauer]
11-07-02 11:19 PM
gypsymofo60 SIA...Alot of what you say concerning generational differences I wholly support, My old man was somewhat more understanding concerning the music I listened to, but I could always tell he was kinda humouring me, and that will hopefully always be the way. That's the life blood of rock IMO. As for rap/hip hop; there was a time when I felt the music had something future wise. As you say the late 70s/early 80s innovators, like GMFLASH actually appealed to me. I loved the way later it infiltrated mainstream rock, and it was incorporated tastefully. Public Enemy had something, but as soon as NWA and the never ending line of copycat artists surfaced it all got so stylised, and predictable. Noone can deny the influence of the music, but whether or not that's such a good thing I don't know. Everywhere you go now kids dress, talk, and gesticulate as though they had spent their whole lives in Watts, or some other American ghetto, it's sad! I don't think a musical form has ever been so cheapened to become a giant caricature of itself. Another thing to consider concerning the steering of children away from at least some of the music is this; alot of the music, no matter what has been said to the contrary actively encourages violence, and gang mentality. Call it old time rock n' roll, whatever our music at least encouraged individuality, and as naive as it may have been peace. Only punk had violent overtones, but even then it was really all bluff & bluster. rap & hip hop's message is violence. Of course as you say I maybe just set in my ways, and old.
11-07-02 11:42 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
about time to re-introduce Rickles

cool...i was beginning to miss that little guy
11-08-02 04:13 AM
Moonisup
quote:
Boomhauer wrote:
"Girls.........that's all I really want is...GIRLS!"

[Edited by Boomhauer]

hehehe can't agree more
11-08-02 01:05 PM
sasca Ï never thought of 'Stray Cat Blues' as being vague in its meaning. Or 'Cocksucker Blues.' Or 'Brown Sugar.'
11-08-02 10:55 PM
Pants Make the Man
quote:
gypsy wrote:
Oh my God, Pants Make the Man! I thought I was the only one who can't stand Dave Matthews. All of my friends are just smitten with the guy. I've turned down free concert tickets to his shows because I find his singing to be so awful. Good to know that I'm not alone in this.

You know it, gypsy. I just don't dig it- not in the slightest.
[Edited by Pants Make the Man]
11-08-02 11:00 PM
BILL PERKS MEN AT WORK.I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM AND HAVE SEEN THEM NUMEROUS TIMES(2/5)OF THE ORIGINAL.GREAT SONGS AND COLIN HAY IS ONE OF THE GREAT SONGWRITERS OF OUR TIME.
11-09-02 02:02 AM
stonedinaustralia jesus bill that's a little over the top for me

actually hay is more a displaced briton than an australian

i think he's a lightweight and i don't listen to his stuff if i can avoid it

however, imo one of the greatest song writer's and performers of our time is also australian - nick cave (aided and abetted at all times by mick harvey) - he has sustained and will continue to do so - i mean,johnny cash covered one of his tunes...even bob likes him...how f$%king cool can you get??

check out "release the bats" by the birthday party a greater piece of incendiary rock and roll noise you are not likely to hear it has no peer

and if you're an elvis fan try "the first born is dead" by the bad seeds - esp. "tupelo"

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
11-09-02 03:27 AM
VoodooTattoo Keith says that the most important aspect of music is that which you personally assign to it, as in providing a channel to sophisticate your raw emotions. For example, when I feel great, its JJF...that puts a good mood to words. When my girlfriend cheated on me and I dumped her, I listened to Gunface a lot, because it turned my bitterness into a constructive comraderie that could be released safely. It let me know that others feel the same way when they compose such things. The Stones music caters as an outlet to every emotion or situation imaginable, thus it is great music.
Talking about rap, its all the same message. No ups in the music, no downs, just anger and 12 inch dicks and guns and hoes and phat clothes. No one can relate to this shit more than a little bit, and kids today listen to it over and over and over ad nauseam with no other type of music. Yes white kids too, a whole lot of them. It affects them a lot. Now girls like only assholes, white and black kids try to be thugs, and words like "trick" and "stunner" and "gat" are in every sentence young people say. There is no emotional reality or variety to rap so all we have now are a bunch of future rapists and cons who have no respect for anyone.
Page: 1 2 3 4