ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Fernando Aceves strikes again!!!
Congratulations our friend... another great cover!
Photo taken at Veterans Stadium, Philadelphia, PA Séptember 18, 2002 by Fernando Aceves
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Most overrated bands/Artists Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
11-06-02 12:24 AM
Happy Motherfucker!! I never knew The Dead where ever considered over rated. They where the least commercial band of all time. they could have cared less what the media ever thought of them.
11-06-02 12:59 AM
stonedinaustralia i gotta agree with "the doors" /morrison nomination

i always thought it was ironic that morrison is lauded as this great american poet when the lyrics to their best known tune "light my fire" were written by the guitarist kreiger
11-06-02 01:11 AM
lin Most overrated band is def Aerosmith - can't stand them. Underrated is The Cult.
11-06-02 01:29 AM
Mother baby
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
i gotta agree with "the doors" /morrison nomination

i always thought it was ironic that morrison is lauded as this great american poet when the lyrics to their best known tune "light my fire" were written by the guitarist kreiger

Yeah....that guy is Good!!!!!Krieger is definitely underrated...watch that boy!
11-06-02 03:41 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Mother baby wrote:

Sorry I gotta disagree.
Blues and Rock n Roll are black music...They're Great.
Rap sucks because it sucks.

I knew that post would be taken the wrong way, my fault probably. I totaly agree about blues, and rock n' roll, I love black music, but see the blues, rhythm & blues, traditional(not modern) jazz are all REAL black music. Rap is just bastardised black/white gutter jive, and as far as I'm concerned unless you are attuned to it, it sucks, as you say! I'm not dissing it coz it's black, I'm dissing it coz it's just plain bad.......Sycophant: The English Oxford dictionary states; Flatterer, toady.
11-06-02 04:01 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
full moon wrote:
By no means is it " impossible " to say that someone thinks The Stones are better songwriters than the Beatles..The Beatles put out a lot of fluff.. Love Me Do, I Wanna Hold Your hand, Yellow Submarine, I could go on forever... It is a matter of opinion..

I agree with Sammy D as far as it doesn't take a genius to realise that The Beatles early records were far better produced than The Stones early efforts, but that had more to do with George Martin than the group, when The Stones released Beggars Banquet they totaly leveled out the playing field, and with Let It Bleed surpassed The Beatles, whether The Beatles split or not. And as you say Full Moon "The Beatles did put out alot of fluff"
11-06-02 04:13 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
i gotta agree with "the doors" /morrison nomination

No way Stoned! Light My Fire was simply the most commercial of their hits, and that's not bad considering a seven and a bit minute song would ever be considered single material. Yes I know the actual single was an edit, but the general concesus was to release it as a follow up to Break On Thru before an edit was put forward. Morisson was a genius, but like Brian a self destructive disaster waiting to happen, your typical tortured genius, just a sad waste in my opinion.......Still a great poet!
11-06-02 04:17 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
lin wrote:
Most overrated band is def Aerosmith - can't stand them. Underrated is The Cult.

Are The Cult underrated? I guess they are in a way, but not in my book. Along with The Gunners the best eighties/nineties rockers.
11-06-02 04:28 AM
Highwire Rob You want overrated folks? Kiss, Kiss, and more friggin' Detroit I'm so baddass make-up and Kiss.

<----Sorry, if anything, L.B. is an underrated Guitar virtuoso!

O.K. I'd put the Eagles in the top 15 simply for writing/singing "Desperado"--God, you can hear the self-aggrandizing phony tone in the lyrics. But judging by radio play, a lot of people fall for it.

But the real fully overrated players with Kiss ought to be Motley Crue (just about every other hair-metal band) and Bon Jovi. And Guns & Roses and Metallica ought to appear on such a list, not Doors, Dead, Dylan, etc.!
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
11-06-02 04:48 AM
F505 Overrated: Queen
Underrated: Luther Allison
11-06-02 05:51 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
gypsymofo60 wrote:
I knew that post would be taken the wrong way, my fault probably. I totaly agree about blues, and rock n' roll, I love black music, but see the blues, rhythm & blues, traditional(not modern) jazz are all REAL black music. Rap is just bastardised black/white gutter jive,

actually it's worse than that - it's roots are in '30's american prison "raps" and "chants"

how do you define "REAL black" music??

how do you differentiate between traditional and modern jazz?? - e.g. where does "kind of blue" sit in the scheme of things for you??

you should read "crosstown traffic" by mr.c.shaar murray - in particular the chapter 'room full of mirrors' - indeed, the temptation to quote entire paragraphs is only resistable because of the keyboard work involved

btw, these two quotes have been crossing my mind when thinking about this thread and not few of the other's and i don't mean to sound curmudgeonly but while everyone is entitled to their views it not so much what your opinion is but how you hold it

"opinions are like straightjackets" - joe strummer

"i am tired of people's opinions - not least my own" - leonard cohen on one of the reasons why he gave up music to become a chef for a buddhist monk

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
11-06-02 08:27 AM
Boomhauer Damn, I forgot about Kiss!

They are terrible.
11-06-02 09:43 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy I'm gonna have a fight with Joey soon about Back To The Egg... I think it needs to happen.

Developing...

Anyway.

No, the Beatles are not overrated. Their earlier stuff is. A lot of that 'pop fluff' they did from 64-66 is very overrated. I for one don't much care for Rubber Soul at all, even though people tell me it's such a revolutionary thing. Revolver had quite a lot of great stuff, sure: "Taxman" - proving that yes, Paul McCartney can play rock guitar and yes, George Harrison can write a kickass song; "Got To Get You Into My Life", "And Your Bird Can Sing", "I'm Only Sleeping", "She Said She Said", "I Want To Tell You"... but still a few too many pop numbers for comfort. If you think the Beatles are overrated, you really need to pick up a copy of The White Album and give it a whirl. It spans genres and tastes so easily that it's hard not to like it or at least find something you enjoy in it.

The most overrated artist?

Hmm... whose greatest hits album is the all-time best seller...

THE EAGLES.

Absolute suckage.

Radiohead, like Pink Floyd and Led Zepplin, have done a lot of great stuff. But all three of those bands tend to have people following them whose brain waves are so altered from tripping to their music that they can't accept the fact that unless you're absolutely whacked that they did a lot of bad stuff as well.

-tSYX --- Talkin' to myself, cryin' out loud...
11-06-02 10:06 AM
David Did anybody mention

this guy is WAAAAAAAAAAY overrated!!!

OVERRATED
11-06-02 10:29 AM
F505 david is that you?
11-06-02 11:52 AM
Pants Make the Man
quote:
David wrote:
Did anybody mention

this guy is WAAAAAAAAAAY overrated!!!

OVERRATED

Bingo.
11-06-02 02:55 PM
Sir Stonesalot Good lord, I may get carpal tunnel from typing a list this long...

All boy bands.

All it girls, even though they are really hot lookin'.

All hair bands. GnR is not a hair band. Kiss is a hair band, and so is Bon Jovi. Remind me to tell you my Bon Jovi snub incident.

All of the "new" R&B divas...like Mariah and Whitney and Destiny's Child and that skinny Celine chick. Pick a fucking note and stick with it for crying out loud.

"Jam" bands, a useless waste of talent. I know people that brag about having a 45 minute version of the Allman Brothers doing The Mountain Jam. It's about 42 minutes too long. IMO, it's just self-indulgent noodling.

Peter Fucking Frampton. No need to explain that one.

The Eagles.

Led Zepplin. Proof that it ain't all that just because it's based on blues. Plant's caterwauling makes my testicles crawl inside my gut.

Creed, Staind, and all those other shitty psuedo metal whatever they are bands. They just suck.

All New Country artists. Toby Keith and Faith Hill? Yuck.
Hank and Patsy must be vomitting in their graves.

There's lots more, but my head is starting to hurt, and I'm getting the heebie-jeebies.
11-06-02 04:08 PM
sasca Not ALL 'it girls'. Francoise Hardy could be described as an 'it girl' and her songs are beautiful.
11-06-02 04:15 PM
Sir Stonesalot Francine who?

To be overrated they have to get lots of press. Ms. Hardy is hardly even a blip on the radar. Therefore she is not an "it" girl. She is kinda hot, and some of her songs are ok, but she ain't no it girl.

I'm not playing fucking semantics with you again man.
11-06-02 08:42 PM
Joey " I'm gonna have a fight with Joey soon about Back To The Egg... I think it needs to happen. "

" Back to the Egg " sold less copies than " Dirty Work " ............what does that tell you ?????

Plus , Wings made the disastrous decision to tour behind the album .............where are they now Ronnie ??????

" Arrow Through Me is the worst song ever written Ronnie "

J . Fly

11-06-02 08:48 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

actually it's worse than that - it's roots are in '30's american prison "raps" and "chants"

how do you define "REAL black" music??

how do you differentiate between traditional and modern jazz?? - e.g. where does "kind of blue" sit in the scheme of things for you??

you should read "crosstown traffic" by mr.c.shaar murray - in particular the chapter 'room full of mirrors' - indeed, the temptation to quote entire paragraphs is only resistable because of the keyboard work involved

btw, these two quotes have been crossing my mind when thinking about this thread and not few of the other's and i don't mean to sound curmudgeonly but while everyone is entitled to their views it not so much what your opinion is but how you hold it

"opinions are like straightjackets" - joe strummer

"i am tired of people's opinions - not least my own" - leonard cohen on one of the reasons why he gave up music to become a chef for a buddhist monk

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]

OK! This is just my opinion, and not taken in any way shape, or form from any book; Real black music; the blues, gospel, and trad. jazz, and the early stages of rock n' roll derived from African tribal music, tribal chants, percussive music, and ceremonial dancing. As time went on and more, and more musical forms grew out of these early genres- Anglo/Continental European,(white)influences infiltrated the music, and detracted from it's original ethnic base. Example: as you asked, Modern jazz, overtly white influenced, as stated by trad. devotees at it's zenith- ("white faggotty jazz.") The propensity of Anglo culture to complicate a very simple form of music, the emphasis on improvisation in modern jazz, as opposed to the simple repeated phrases of the original black form. What I'm saying is whether they want to admit to it or not, rap is more a product of white society than blacks are likely to admit, even if it is a very indirect influence. Of course it is still a link in a long line of musical forms that originate in Africa, just the most mongrelised form of black music IMHO...........As for opinions, and your quotes, my favourite, and still, I feel the most succinct comes from that great American folk legend Dirty Harry; "opinions are like assholes! Everybody's got one!" I was interested in your statement about the 1930s prisons. I'm sure I've got one of Charles Shar Murray's books, what else has he written?
11-06-02 08:59 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Francine who?

To be overrated they have to get lots of press. Ms. Hardy is hardly even a blip on the radar. Therefore she is not an "it" girl. She is kinda hot, and some of her songs are ok, but she ain't no it girl.

I'm not playing fucking semantics with you again man.

Boy bands/girl bands/unisex bands, ahh! New heading for this lot; Parrotts in make up.....Were they in the starting blocks on this?---No contest they all win this poll, The Mariah's, Whittney's, Celine's all get a silver medal, and if it was up to me a rubber bullett. I must be getting very old! What's an "IT" Girl?....Shouldn't that read shit girl?
11-06-02 09:29 PM
gypsy Oh my God, Pants Make the Man! I thought I was the only one who can't stand Dave Matthews. All of my friends are just smitten with the guy. I've turned down free concert tickets to his shows because I find his singing to be so awful. Good to know that I'm not alone in this.
11-06-02 11:39 PM
KeepRigidsLawyer Gypsy, you are never alone. Did you receive the Candygram?
11-06-02 11:48 PM
Mr T don't see how anyon could call Led Zeppelin or Tool overrated - but I'll go with Bowie, Bon Jovi, The Doors & Eagles (though I do like a few songs by some of these bands). Oh yeah - and Nirvana, Oasis & Kiss - all suck
11-07-02 04:32 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
gypsy wrote:
Oh my God, Pants Make the Man! I thought I was the only one who can't stand Dave Matthews. All of my friends are just smitten with the guy. I've turned down free concert tickets to his shows because I find his singing to be so awful. Good to know that I'm not alone in this.

And- to quote a famous writer; "About as sexy as a pissing toad!" too boot!
11-07-02 04:40 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Mr T wrote:
don't see how anyon could call Led Zeppelin or Tool overrated - but I'll go with Bowie, Bon Jovi, The Doors & Eagles (though I do like a few songs by some of these bands). Oh yeah - and Nirvana, Oasis & Kiss - all suck

Well there you go see, it's all so wonderfully subjective. I agree with you on Zeppelin(how could you diss' 'em?) And I think Tool are a great modern force, but I also love Bowie, and rather like Oasis. Oh yeah! I'm still not embarrased that I bought KISS, Hotter Than Hell, etc. Though I did stop after Destroyer. KISS post '76 was the dog's bollocks-licked!
11-07-02 08:39 AM
F505 Bands that bring out albums with titles as Hotter Than Hell or Destroyer can't be good. Not even to mention the ridiculous masks and large amounts of make up to hide that their music is dreadful.
11-07-02 08:55 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
F505 wrote:
Bands that bring out albums with titles as Hotter Than Hell or Destroyer can't be good. Not even to mention the ridiculous masks and large amounts of make up to hide that their music is dreadful.

As I said " I feel no shame" I was 13/14, and I thought they rocked, and I was far from alone in that appraisal. Of course it was a hype, so what! It's just entertainment anyway. Alot of todays boring "Anti-Stars" could learn a thing or two about keeping the publics interest trained for longer than one AWWWWWWWWWesome album from Kiss. Hotter Than Hell, etc, weren't aimed at Juliard types, or ROCK AFFICIANADOS derrrrrrrr! no kidding! If you had more style, and panache at 14 all power to ya!
11-07-02 01:09 PM
Cant Catch Me If Jim Morrison was a poet then my ass is the Mona Lisa.

He was just a grandiose delusional slob whose good looks made him seem mystical and deep and kept the chicks interested. And the Doors had a light enough, organ/keyboard driven sound to get played a lot on the radio, while still titillating the stoner kids with the Oedipus put-on. What a crock of shit.
Page: 1 2 3 4