ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Fernando Aceves strikes again!!!
Congratulations our friend... another great cover!
Photo taken at Veterans Stadium, Philadelphia, PA Séptember 18, 2002 by Fernando Aceves
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Most overrated bands/Artists Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
11-05-02 04:43 PM
jb 1)Beatles
2)Aerosmith
3)Pink Floyd
4)Eagles
5)Bon Jovi
6)Led Zepplin
7)Fleetwood Mac
8)Bob Dylan
9)Springsteen
10)Bowie
11-05-02 04:51 PM
sasca The Beatles - love them
Aerosmith - likewise
Pink Floyd - Syd Barrett is one of my heroes, I like some
of their post-Barrett work.
Eagles - ho-hum
Bon Jovi - ho-hum, ho-hum
Led Zeppelin - love them
Fleetwood Mac - so many different groups. I like some of
each period.
Bob Dylan - not yet a hero, but may become one.
Springsteen - never got into him, like some of his work.
Bowie - Love him. Lovehimlovehimlovehim. Possibly saved my
life.
11-05-02 05:01 PM
The Wick The Doors- After seeing The Doors, Bill Wyman once said, "We left after we saw him (Morrison) try and be like Mick for half an hour."

Led Zeppelin- Nice guitars, but Plant's voice is useless; songs not that great.

Aerosmith- They are still trying to be like the Stones and don't have any great songs.

Beatles- Legends with amazing songs, but the press and the public harp on about their sophistication and music more than is deserved. Besides, the Stones wrote better songs.

Nirvana- Boring; weak songs.

Ryan Adams- Give me a break.

Matchbox 20- What the hell was Mick Jagger thinking?

REM- Garbage.

11-05-02 05:51 PM
gypsymofo60 Oh that's easy; those boring, overated gits from Dartford. HEE_HEEHEE.....1._ Pink Floydd(most overated doodlers of all time. Great if your tripping, I don't trip)Syd Barrett????-Captain Lucid!.....2._ The Smiths(one good song, the rest, morbid, boring crap).....3.Radiohead(some nice songs, but greatest albums, in some circles Huh? Come on!........4._The Verve(love Urban Hymns, but the rest is awful.)......5._Any cheap(ala Poison, Warrant,LA Guns, We're in league with The Devil shit)second generation heavy metal posers from the eighties.
11-05-02 06:04 PM
Boomhauer 1)Beatles
2)Aerosmith
3)Nirvana (Foo Fighters are better)
4)Radiohead (fuckers at Rolling Stone magazine are stupid)
5)Bon Jovi
6)Phil Collins
7)Fleetwood Mac
8)Creed
9)Springsteen
10)Bowie
11)Dave Matthews
12)Art Garfunkel (fucker!!!)
13)U2
14)Motley Crue
15)Tool
16)Micheal Jackson (sucks)
17)REM

jb, how could YOU forget to put U2 on your list? I thought you couldn't stand that "band"!
11-05-02 06:29 PM
beer Speaking of overrated artists, today is Art Garfunkel's birthday!!!
Happy birthday, you wolfboy adopting, afro sporting, cheezeball!
11-05-02 06:29 PM
kc152 Dred Zeppelin & The Bores
11-05-02 06:30 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
jb wrote:
1)Beatles
2)Aerosmith
3)Pink Floyd
4)Eagles
5)Bon Jovi
6)Led Zepplin
7)Fleetwood Mac
8)Bob Dylan
9)Springsteen
10)Bowie

Replace the Beatles with the Grateful Dead.

Move Zeppelin up to #2.

Flip the Eagles and Pink Floyd.

Then put in the Doors (which knocks out Bowie).

Next comes Crosby Stills and Nash (knocking out Springsteen).

Flop Aerosmith down to about 9.

Leave Bon Jovi out as a mercy killing. Replace them with THE WHO (parenthetically adding 1973-present) and leave Who Jovi (1973 - Present) at #10.

Forget Fleetwood Mac as it will only lead to arguments re: "Buckingham/Nicks" phase or Peter Green phase or "Bare Trees" phase or "Behind the Mask" phase. Replace them with Sting (post Police) and put him at #8 (place him higher according to your own taste!)

And then throw U2 and Simon and Garfunkle into a pit and place the winner in the number 7 slot.
This knocks out Dylan, because it was very very silly of you to put Bob Dylan on this list, jb.

Otherwise, nice job!

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
11-05-02 06:42 PM
full moon U2.....
11-05-02 07:05 PM
Jaxx
quote:
jb wrote:
1)Beatles
2)Aerosmith
3)Pink Floyd
4)Eagles
5)Bon Jovi
6)Led Zepplin
7)Fleetwood Mac
8)Bob Dylan
9)Springsteen
10)Bowie

oh jb,there's alot of real talent on your list. the beatles are truly a phenomenal band. they were spanning generations long before anyone else. they continued to push the envelope creativity wise...and no, as a rule i am not a fan, but i do enjoy listening to them, especially "the white album" and "revolver". led zepplin, killer guitars, killer lead vocalist. i love to "get the Led out". bowie is a true solo talent. i love his glamrock approach and his androgeny. that dancing in the streets video with mick is good for a laugh, its so cheesy. and dylan? an icon, with his profound poetic lyrics. one of the best lyricists of all time, imo. as for the rest on your list, i would agree. overrated, unevolved, riding on the popularity of a handful of smash hits......altho pink floyd had some masterpieces in dark side of the moon and the wall.....thought provoking stuff there.
11-05-02 08:08 PM
Fiji Joe Not that they ever achieved any particular rating...but The Black Crowes, for my money are extremely overrated...I was giving this some thought on the way home...Who would have been, or will be, considered in the class of the Stones?...It's a damn shame the Allman Brothers and Lynyrd Skynyrd were decimated by tragic accidents...these guys would still be making tremendous music, I think...
11-05-02 08:38 PM
myremedy I disagree with you on the Black Crowes. As far as I am concerned they are (were) the next best things to the stones. I always the Grateful Dead were very overated. I think the new incarnation of the band minus jerry sounds pretty good. Jerry just lost it around 1980.
11-05-02 08:49 PM
gypsymofo60 Yeah! I agree with ya Myremedy. I think if The Crowes hadn't had such a stop/start career they could well have become just that type of band you described, people claimed they were too derivative, I think that's crap! The debut album was IMHO one of the all time great debuts. Another great thing about The Crowes; no pretencions, just straight ahead, ballsy rockin' real rhythm & blues.
11-05-02 08:53 PM
Mother baby Overrated...underrated...I'm not exactly sure how to use those terms....too subjective....Of course the Stones aren't overrated because they are what they are...nothing subjective about that, but maybe some bands are overrated I don't know how to tell...I like what I like and trust the antennas....
11-05-02 09:16 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Mother baby wrote:
Overrated...underrated...I'm not exactly sure how to use those terms....too subjective....Of course the Stones aren't overrated because they are what they are...nothing subjective about that, but maybe some bands are overrated I don't know how to tell...I like what I like and trust the antennas....

..Well that's the whole point of the game innit? The more people who like what they hear where a particular band/artist is concerned, the more that artist will rate. And that goes for fans, critics, and professional peers, this is the point of ratings. There is no right or wrong, just opinions. It's just that Stones fans cannot be questioned,of course!
11-05-02 09:27 PM
Mother baby
quote:
gypsymofo60 wrote:
It's just that Stones fans cannot be questioned,of course!

That's true...and that's where the objectivity come in.

Yeah even looking at that header sends goose bumps up my spine...if I let it lol.
[Edited by Mother baby]
11-05-02 09:39 PM
Mother baby
quote:
gypsymofo60 wrote:
The more people who like what they hear where a particular band/artist is concerned, the more that artist will rate.

Yeah and the sad part about it is that there's so much great music "out there" in the Pumpkin Patch we'll never get to hear...at least on this side of the Void.

11-05-02 10:05 PM
gypsymofo60 Ahhhhhh yes! But consider this Mother, as Stones fans we are like gods up in the sky, beyond reproach! Amongst lesser mortals that is. I actually feel sorry for people who will never know what truly enjoying The Stones music is all about, to me it's as life affirming as having children, truly!...I just can't imagine a life without The Stones, and yet; I hate sycophants. Some generations are just blessed to experience something out of the ordinary, I wasn't around to witness Christ, but I got the next best thing, no not The Messiahs! Just a bunch of very naughty boys.
11-05-02 10:13 PM
Gimme Shelter All Rap is overated. In fact it all sucks.
11-05-02 10:25 PM
Mother baby [quote]gypsymofo60 wrote:
Ahhhhhh yes! But consider this Mother, as Stones fans we are like gods up in the sky, beyond reproach!

Born with great antennas.

I actually feel sorry for people who will never know what truly enjoying The Stones music is all about, to me it's as life affirming as having children, truly!...
Or in Mick's case....fathering children.

I just can't imagine a life without The Stones,
I don't know either...never had one.

sycophants.
What is that? Really...no dictionary handy.

Some generations are just blessed to experience something out of the ordinary,
Well, the Rolling Stones are certainly that.

I wasn't around to witness Christ, but I got the next best thing,
Hmnnn ... well,...I don't know about Christ...but certainly Shakespeare.
11-05-02 10:30 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Gimme Shelter wrote:
All Rap is overated. In fact it all sucks.

WITHOUT ANY RACIAL OVERTONES on my behalf, because you know this criticising of rap can become ridiculously racial, most of it, especially the more stereotyped recent recipie crap sounds like feeding time at the zoo to me, actions, and gesticulations to match...IT'S SAD!
11-05-02 10:36 PM
Mother baby
quote:
gypsymofo60 wrote:
WITHOUT ANY RACIAL OVERTONES on my behalf, because you know this criticising of rap can become ridiculously racial, most of it, especially the more stereotyped recent recipie crap sounds like feeding time at the zoo to me, actions, and gesticulations to match...IT'S SAD!

Sorry I gotta disagree.
Blues and Rock n Roll are black music...They're Great.
Rap sucks because it sucks.
11-05-02 11:01 PM
Gimme Shelter Don't get me wrong. I love the blues, obviously love Rock & Roll, Reggae, Motown, I just cannot stand Rap.
11-05-02 11:02 PM
full moon The Black Crowes fucking jam...........
11-05-02 11:28 PM
sammy davis jr. The Beatles are overrated?? Good god man, what planet are you from? The Stones wrote better songs than the Beatles? Are you fucking mad? For every great Stones song, the Beatles wrote SIX. Their records are much better recorded to boot. Don't get me wrong- The Stones are and always have been my favoite band, but even I know they can't touch the Beatles as songwriters. Even Mick and Keith (well not Keith...) would probably say so themselves. The reason I love the Stones goes beyond the music-although my two all time favorite albums are by them- it's the attitude. That and the Stones music is based in the blues which the Beatles could never touch.
My Overrated List:
1. The Eagles- What's not to hate? Smaltzy dreamy puke- inducing harmonies over blandly strummed "California sound" songs.
2. Lenny Kravitz- More concerned with looking cool than writing songs that aren't retreads of retreads. Even his "funky" songs sound fake.
3. The Strokes- Can't sing or play? No problem!
4. Creed- Possibly the most self-righteous pablum ever produced.
5. Pearl Jam- Started off promising, but rapidly becoming very sucky.
6. Bon Jovi- Just horrible.
7. Matchbox 20- A band that got very lucky. Notice they aren't "cranking out the hits" anymore.
8. Oasis- see above
9. Kiss- Absolutely the worst songwriting ever to sell millions.
10. A million others I can't think of at the moment.
11-05-02 11:35 PM
full moon By no means is it " impossible " to say that someone thinks The Stones are better songwriters than the Beatles..The Beatles put out a lot of fluff.. Love Me Do, I Wanna Hold Your hand, Yellow Submarine, I could go on forever... It is a matter of opinion..
11-05-02 11:45 PM
beer
quote:
sammy davis jr. wrote:
The Beatles are overrated?? Good god man, what planet are you from? The Stones wrote better songs than the Beatles? Are you fucking mad? For every great Stones song, the Beatles wrote SIX. Their records are much better recorded to boot.

----------------

I always thought the production/sound on Beatles stuff was light weight, thin, candy ass, airy, weak, etc. I'm not knockin their songs but, listen to "Get Back" and compare the the way it's recorded/produced, with, say, "Jumpin Jack Flash". The Stones sound kicks ass all over the Beatles stuff. Just my opinion.
11-05-02 11:54 PM
Mother baby
quote:
beer wrote:

The Stones sound kicks ass all over the Beatles stuff. Just my opinion.

Opinion????
No...no way. I cerainly don't agree with JB that the Beatles sucked but the Stones "won" a long time ago. Get rid of that last clause.
11-05-02 11:54 PM
Boomhauer You're right. It is a matter of opinion and I agree with your opinion.

Hey, Beatles fans can listen to the Beatles all day if they please. Fine with me. But I still think the reason why the Beatles sold more albums was because of the name and not the music.

The Stones have better songs and haven't sold as many albums because their name is not "The Beatles". The Beatles were like NSync and the Stones were like Pearl Jam or some other rock band coming up. It's like comparing fucking apples and oranges. At least that is how I see it.
11-06-02 12:01 AM
Mother baby
quote:
Boomhauer wrote:
You're right. It is a matter of opinion and I agree with your opinion.

NO! It's NOT a matter of opinion...it's objective reality.
Page: 1 2 3 4