ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Fernando Aceves strikes again!!!
Congratulations our friend... another great cover!
Photo taken at Veterans Stadium, Philadelphia, PA Séptember 18, 2002 by Fernando Aceves
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Wiltern setlist Return to archive Page: 1 2
11-05-02 12:15 AM
Stonesdoug Jumping Jack Flash
Live with Me
Neighbours
Hand of Fate
No Expectations
Beast of Burden
Stray Cat Blues
Dance
Everybody Need Somebody To Love
That's How Strong My Love Is
Going to A Go Go

Thru and Thru
You Don't Have to Mean It

CYHMK
Rock Me Baby
Bitch
Honky Tonk Women
Start Me Up
Brown Sugar
Tumbling Dice
11-05-02 12:36 AM
sirmoonie Look at that. Go ahead, look at that stuff. I dares ya.

Reviews, please.

"Hit me sometimes, Rosie!"

11-05-02 12:52 AM
kc152 What's with all the covers? After 3 in a row, did any die hards want to hear Rock Me Baby? I don't think so. What the hell happen to Parachute Woman? And how hard would it be for them to play Slave? What are they waiting for? Slave is meant to be played in a small venue. Not that I would mind hearing it in a small one.
11-05-02 01:05 AM
glencar Some people would bitch if they were in heaven surrounded by the fruits of their dreams. This is a fantastic setlist & I can't wait to see the Stones again. They are more amazing on this tour than on any of the others I've seen. I'd cream if they did "Rock Me Baby" & I don't even necessarily like the song all that much.
11-05-02 03:05 AM
~AzQb

Yes, There's Fever back In The Funkhouse Now!!!~

YES!!!

This is perhaps the nicest list i've seen or heard so far~somebody post a review ASAP

DeLIcious ; )

~
11-05-02 03:09 AM
Bluzian Although I wasn't there obviously.. I feel that the paid
homage to Solomon Burke was a nice touch. I'm surprised
that Burke didn't get up on stage and join them for a
jam of "Cry To Me" eh??

Cheers!
Ian

PS: did anybody see Willie Nelson w/ Ryan Adams on Letterman?
Fantastic!!! Was the song a cover off of "Bush Doctor"?
it sounded awfully familiar..
11-05-02 03:28 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
glencar wrote:
Some people would bitch if they were in heaven surrounded by the fruits of their dreams.

too right -who'd complain? - some people don't know how fortunate they are

re the covers - for me to see "everybody...", "that's how strong" and "going to a go go" would be "truly a dream come true" - even more than their originals those songs would fill the room with any number of moving spirits

and as for following it up with "rock me baby" well given it's a bed-rock blues if the band was on it could've been the wildest thing all night...fever in the funkhouse indeed

so yes please, reviews - how did the reality shape up with the idea
11-05-02 05:04 AM
Dan I dont have any complaints about the setlist. Best version of Beast Of Burden I ever heard. Micks voice on the end of SCB and THSMLI was so intense, I couldnt believe it. Best Stones show I have ever seen. Can't wait for San Diego!

(full review of all 3 coming in the next few days)
11-05-02 08:42 AM
glencar Right on, my Aussie pal!

FYI The song that Adams/Nelson did was "The Harder They Fall" which was the flipside of "Run Rudolph Run" by Mr. Keef back in '79. Originally, it was a Jimmy Cliff song from a movie.
11-05-02 09:23 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl

11-05-02 09:34 AM
Lazy Bones I received a phone call from Toronto Tom at the show last night (12:30amET - my time) and said were a lot of celebs at the show including Neil Young and Tom Petty. Now, on a friendly basis, he likes to bullshit a lot but he sounded pretty excited and could "feel" that it was going to be a great night.

I welcome his review(s) here when he returns next week!
[Edited by Lazy Bones]
11-05-02 09:40 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Big stars shine at small Stones show

By Dean Goodman
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Rolling Stone Mick Jagger's star power has been put to the test as the cream of Hollywood turned out to see his veteran rock band play its first theatre show in Los Angeles in more than 30 years.

Rock stars among the 2,200 fans at the Wiltern Theatre on Monday included Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Neil Young, Tom Waits, Doors keyboardist Ray Manzarek, Fleetwood Mac co-founder Mick Fleetwood, Dwight Yoakam, Kiss singer Paul Stanley, former Rage Against the Machine singer Zack de la Rocha and Eagles bass player Timothy B. Schmit.

The film and TV community was represented by Anjelica Huston, Benicio del Toro, writer/director Cameron Crowe, comedian Dennis Miller, Peter Boyle of "Everybody Loves Raymond" and Reese Witherspoon.

Jagger joked at the outset that he would allow all the famous people -- "and everybody that thinks they're famous" -- to come up on stage and join hands.

The Wiltern stop marked the final show of the Rolling Stones' Los Angeles trilogy. They played at the 20,000-capacity Staples Centre last Thursday and the 45,000-capacity Edison Field on Saturday. The last time they played such a small venue in Los Angeles was in 1972 at the Hollywood Palladium, an old ballroom that holds about 3,500 people.

The Rolling Stones have played four other small shows since their "Licks" world tour kicked off on September 3: in Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia and New York. They have one more left in Las Vegas on November 29. The rest of the tour is divided between stadiums and arenas, with the song selections notably different among the venues.

For almost two hours, Jagger, guitarists Keith Richards and Ron Wood and drummer Charlie Watts mixed old tunes like "Stray Cat Blues" and B.B. King's "Rock Me Baby" with crowd-pleasing classics like "Start Me Up" and "Honky Tonk Women".

The Wiltern marked the first club show where all the songs had been previously performed on the tour. On previous club stops the Stones dusted off rare ballads such as 1967's "She Smiled Sweetly" and 1981's "Worried About You".

Surprisingly, given the high-wattage crowd, the Stones deigned to share the spotlight with only one guest, opening act Solomon Burke. The rotund soul icon staggered on stage to make a cameo appearance as the band covered Burke's 1960s tune "Everybody Needs Somebody to Love".

One of Burke's sons draped Jagger in his father's elaborate cape, much to Jagger's delight, while Burke Sr. declared the band to be "the true kings of rock 'n' roll".

Jagger responded, "Keith said you can fit three of us in that cloak!"

Tickets were priced at just $68 (43.5 pounds), and the show was an instant sellout. Prices for the other venues are as high as $350, but most dates have sold out.

11-05-02 11:02 AM
Jaxx The Rolling Stones, Up Close and Personal

The Stones conclude their SoCal Trilogy with a lively but unusual post-script at the Wiltern.

By BEN WENER
The Orange County Register

Good, better ... best? You could say that, depending on what you want from a Rolling Stones show. But this might be more fitting: warm-up, spectacle, after-party.

Where Halloween at Staples (a solid show) ultimately felt like a prelude to the determination of the Big Ed dazzler (a great one), Monday night's loose, freewheeling, star-studded gig at the Wiltern Theatre played like a post-script, a lively but scattered and plenty unusual thank-you to anyone who stuck it out through each piece of this SoCal Trilogy – and, for all in attendance, a rare up-close-and-personal experience with the greatest rock 'n' roll band ever.

THE SETLIST
1. Jumping Jack Flash
2. Live With Me
3. Neighbours
4. Hand of Fate
5. No Expectations
6. Beast of Burden
7. Stray Cat Blues
8. Dance (Pt. 1)
9. Everybody Needs Somebody to Love
10. That's How Strong My Love Is
11.Going to a Go-Go
12. Thru and Thru
13. You Don't Have to Mean It
14. Can't You Hear Me Knocking
15. Rock Me Baby
16. Bitch
17. Honky Tonk Women
18. Start Me Up
19. Brown Sugar
20. Tumbling Dice
To call this concert ultra-exclusive is like saying Mick Jagger is kinda famous. Hundreds of fans milled about outside the venue for hours beforehand, queuing up in the hopes that someone would forget to claim their Licks wristband and golden ticket (yeah, right), accosting anyone who approached in case they had one to sell.

Why so much excitement? Because chances to see the Stones sans artifice and pyrotechnics are few, of course, but more importantly because the limited number of theater stops they have made on this trek have become rarities bonanzas. This was no exception – of 20 songs, only six were repeats from the other local dates.

Still, the remaining 14 might not have been what some expected. C'mon, "Going to a Go-Go"? "Hand of Fate" from "Black and Blue"? "Dance (Pt. 1)," from, of all things, "Emotional Rescue"? And for Keith's pair, two relative infants – the lonesome drama of "Thru and Thru," from 1994's "Voodoo Lounge," and the lilting Kingston vibe of "You Don't Have to Mean It," from 1997's "Bridges to Babylon," with Ronnie Wood trading his six-string for 88 keys?

"You having a good time out there?" Keith asked before starting the former, naturally receiving a thunderous response. "Well, this is guaranteed to put you off."

It didn't, actually. OK, no doubt you'd pick something different. (I would have preferred "You Got the Silver" or "Coming Down Again," either of which would have made my year.) But the real shocker was that Keith really sang, hit the right notes and everything, delivering those better than the four from the other shows – three of which were staples that, by comparison, he seemed to sleepwalk through.

That was only the most glaringly odd moment in the two-hour set, which opened with "Jumping Jack Flash" and didn't double-back on previous shows until a raggedly fun "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" 13 songs later. Forget hearing more "Exile" cuts, for instance; apart from "Tumbling Dice," the lone encore (no "Satisfaction" here), they ditched it in favor of two from "Beggars Banquet" – a beautifully rag-tag "No Expectations" and a vicious, exultant "Stray Cat Blues," Mick belting out its slutty come-ons with the most intensity he's displayed throughout the entire run.

Other songs benefited from that fire as well – namely the rollicking "Neighbours," the final stretch of "Live With Me," a suitably horn-blasted rip through "Bitch" and, especially, during the "put me out of misery" cries in "Beast of Burden." (Mick nailed the falsettos on that one, too, but for whatever reason whenever he sang the title it sounded like "Beast of Bali.")

Another strange twist: Though the Wiltern set offered the most cuts (a whopping four) from their recently remastered '60s work, none were obvious selections. No "Paint It, Black" or "Let's Spend the Night Together" or "Ruby Tuesday" or "Heart of Stone," the last of which they have done elsewhere. Nothing at all from "Aftermath" or "Between the Buttons," in fact.

Instead, they chose two R&B covers: "Everybody Needs Somebody to Love," which made sense, given that Solomon Burke (who wrote it) opened the show with a splendid soul revue and later joined in on his classic; and, to follow it, "That's How Strong My Love Is," an Otis Redding standard they did for "Out of Our Heads." ('Twas the night for them to get back to their roots, apparently, as they also tossed in a winning rendition of B.B. King's "Rock Me Baby.")

Disappointing? Not really. Not when they're in such fine form. Mick was at his most animated and vocally assured, Ronnie continued to solo at the top of his game, Darryl Jones' liquid bass lines matched Bill Wyman's way with a groove, and it was clearly Charlie Watt's turn to shine – he held this hodgepodge together like super-glue, especially when Keith's lazy clowning threatened to derail more than a few numbers.

It just wasn't the gig to seal in our memory; that one would be the Edison extravaganza. If you couldn't get in to the Wiltern – and you probably didn't – don't kick yourself. You only missed a good time, not the Stones show to end all Stones shows.

11-05-02 11:25 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
kc152 wrote:
What's with all the covers? After 3 in a row, did any die hards want to hear Rock Me Baby? I don't think so. What the hell happen to Parachute Woman? And how hard would it be for them to play Slave? What are they waiting for? Slave is meant to be played in a small venue. Not that I would mind hearing it in a small one.

Has this band taught you NOTHING?

It's the SINGER not the SONG!

11-05-02 04:07 PM
kc152 I just feel 1 or 2 covers for good measure is fine. 4 (or in the case of Roseland 5) is a bit much when there are so many Orginals they have that they don't do, and even rehersed this time around.
11-05-02 05:54 PM
Nasty Habits The bias against cover tunes will never cease to amaze me. These guys started out as a cover band, and they are the greatest cover band of all time. If the Stones would come out on a stage and do like three Chuck Berry covers, three Bo Diddley covers, a half dozen soul numbers and a half dozen blues numbers at a show I am pretty sure I would not survive the experience.

11-05-02 06:04 PM
kath killer setlist!!! i was fortunate enough to get several phone calls last night (thank you!!) and just the soundbytes i got were incredible. they sounded crisp and clear and they were kickin ass. so being there in person must have been a magical night! i hope mr D got in!!

i get my stones fix tomorrow night.....i am waayyy overdue!!
11-05-02 06:36 PM
luxury1 Nasty Habits--you are so right. The band gets such a kick outta covering other tunes. It is obvious. They must really have to listen to each other to nail the covers. Makes them come together as a band I think.
11-05-02 07:00 PM
stoneslib Yes, the newspaper reporter is right - MJ *was* slutty and passionate during Stray Cat. My fave moment during the entire show was his physical/vocal freak out on "if she's so wild she can JOIN IN TOO!!!!" I've never witnessed him sing with such fervor as on that line.

11-05-02 07:20 PM
kath "slutty" mick...gawd i like the sound of that!!
11-06-02 06:00 AM
F505 kc125 wrote:
After 3 in a row, did any die hards want to hear Rock Me Baby?

I do...! It's a great blues song. I think the Stones must keep playing the blues. By the way; Love in vain is also a cover and has become a Stones classic. And what about Mannish Boy and Crackin' up? In Paradiso they played Meet me in the bottom and Still a fool. Nothing wrong with that!
11-06-02 08:43 AM
Mr T that is THE BEST setlist I've ever seen. Wouldn't mind ditching Dance or Neighbors for Shelter or a couple Tattoo You tracks (have they even done any TY themed sets yet?), but Live With Me, Bitch, Stray Cat Blues, CYHMK & Hand Of Fate - I would shit myself if I heard all those songs in one night
11-06-02 09:33 AM
FotiniD Some great pictures from Yahoo news. Oh, are you lucky those of you who made it to the Wiltern show! Jealous

[Edited by FotiniD]
11-06-02 10:13 AM
Fiji Joe Yeah, that is one helluva set list...gots to get me that boot
11-06-02 10:19 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
The bias against cover tunes will never cease to amaze me. These guys started out as a cover band, and they are the greatest cover band of all time. If the Stones would come out on a stage and do like three Chuck Berry covers, three Bo Diddley covers, a half dozen soul numbers and a half dozen blues numbers at a show I am pretty sure I would not survive the experience.

They've done some of those covers so well for so long, they have morphed into Stones tunes.

Couldn't believe it when they were trotting those out at Rosie. The only reason I did survive the experience was because my brain couldn't keep up with what was going on.

And they do take on a different attitude when they play them. Get younger almost.
11-06-02 10:38 AM
Jaxx another review:
Just a Stones Throw Away

Intimacy and warmth punctuate the band’s memorable show in a close setting

LA Times
By Robert Hilburn, Times Staff Writer

Over the years we've become used to seeing Mick Jagger and Keith Richards snarl, flirt, tease and even play with fire on stage. But we've rarely seen them double up with laughter.

That incident was one of many warm and revealing moments Monday at the Wiltern as the Rolling Stones stepped away for the night from their usual arena and stadium surroundings for the intimacy of a 2,200-capacity theater.

The result was every bit as memorable as the high expectations surrounding the show. Though general admission tickets were priced at just $50, many fans on the main floor reported paying brokers and scalpers up to $1,500 -- and they felt lucky to have gotten them.

In the vastness of larger settings, such as Staples Center on Thursday, the Stones sometimes seem as coolly disciplined as actors in a play. The music is still thrilling, but there's little hint of the spontaneous interaction that gives rock 'n' roll a special spark.

At the Wiltern, however, the Stones became flesh-and-blood musicians again -- and those fans on the main floor were so close to the action that they too felt as if they were on stage. It was fascinating to watch the band members gesturing and talking to each other as they reintroduced themselves to some relatively obscure numbers.

Early in the two-hour-plus set, guitarist Richards and drummer Charlie Watts huddled as they worked on their timing on 1969's zestful "Live With Me."

Later, Jagger motioned for the band to play more softly on the "That's How Strong My Love Is," an R&B ballad from 1965's "Out of Our Heads" album.

Nothing, however, personalized the night as much as soul singer Solomon Burke joining the group to perform "Everybody Needs Somebody to Love," one of two Burke hits the Stones recorded in the mid-'60s.

Burke, who was also the evening's opening act and is widely considered one of the greatest R&B singers ever, has long billed himself as the "king of rock and soul" and he has often worn a cape and jeweled crown on stage as a visual exclamation point.

As the slender Jagger and the nearly 500-pound Burke traded vocal lines and a few hip-swinging moves, a member of Burke's band suddenly raced across the stage with Burke's cape and threw it around Jagger's shoulders.

It was a sweet gesture, clearly orchestrated by Burke -- a nod from a teacher to a pupil that he underscored with his toast to Jagger: "To the true king of rock 'n' roll."

Flustered, Jagger pulled the cape from his shoulders and tried to return the compliment by giving it to Burke. But the soul man headed off stage before Jagger could reach him in the crowd of musicians.

Jagger and Richards, whose relationship over the years has sometimes been thorny, came together and laughed so hard at the image of Jagger struggling to get out from under the massive cape that they almost had to hold each other up.

"It's big enough to cover three of us," Richards wisecracked.

Inspired by Burke's singing and playfulness, Jagger seemed to revert back to the club days in Britain when he was still as much a fan as a musician. He channeled that energy and innocence into a show-stopping rendition of "That's How Strong My Love Is."

In that and other moments Monday, we got an invaluable look at the band playing with unrivaled passion and vulnerability -- just as they did when the idea of performing with their heroes or headlining in America was still just a dream away.

[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
11-06-02 11:03 AM
T&A Really cannot find words to do Wiltern experience justice. Best communication was with fans afterward - just a nod and a smile was all that was necessary.

Got the rare treat of joining Solomon on-stage along with a dozen or so other fans who were situated by the catwalk. It was a thrill of thrills. Of course, while on-stage I couldn't help but sneak a peek of the setlist by Charlie's drums. We were onstage for maybe 6-7 minutes but it seemed an eternity. It literally felt like WE were opening for the Stones.

The intensity of the show was beyond description (I was at Orpheum, too, and this one blew that incredible show away). I have never seen Jagger so into the performance. Folks talk about SCB and THSMLI, highlights for sure, but on EVERY song Mick was absolutely POSSESSED. I'm sure he was playing to the celebrities in the house to show them who's boss, but it was incredible to witness. I was literally inches from Mick for a good part of the show. I made many cell calls to friends - one time, during SCB, Mick actually bumped into my cell phone - that's how close I was. He was dripping sweat on me all night!

The tapes will tell part of the story, but I'm afraid you really had to be there to really experience this thing. Words and tapes cannot do the job.

StonesTod
11-06-02 11:53 AM
6th Avenue That's just too dam funny. "I was so close to Mick,at one point he bumped into my cell phone"
11-06-02 07:39 PM
StrayCatLA The Wiltern show ROCKED!!! I didn'tmind all the covers at all...it was cool when Solomon Burke came out during "Everybody..." and proclaimed Mick the "True King of Rock and Roll"!

"Stray Cat Blues" ABSOLUTELY SMOKED!!!Mick was ON FIRE...he really snarled the lyrics viciously for this song...you could tell the whole band LOVED playing this song!!!

Only a couple of questions...where was "Torn and Frayed" or "Soul Survivor"? I have heard mention that the band has rehearsed these, yet neither song was played at any of the LA-area shows...what gives?

And am I the only one at the Wiltern who thought that the Stones missed a golden opportunity to play "Star Star"(Starfucker)? That would have been choice to hear, with all those celebs in the house.

I was one of those people who showed up early Monday morning to wait for any released tickets...we heard all day from the Wiltern people how there would be NO TICKETS RELEASED!

But I wasn't giving up...I was number 4 in line and surely the Wiltern could come up with 4 extra seats...hell,the Staples show was supposed to be soldout, too, yet somehow hundreds of tickets were made available the day of the show.

So as I watched Ben Stiller and Ray Manzarek and Paul Stanley(YUCK!) and Anjelica Huston file into the Wiltern, I held out hope that somehow my diligence(blind hope or stubbornness?) would be rewarded with a ticket.

And lo and behold...IT WAS! After just about all the people with tickets had filed in, and the guys with the bullhorns started yelling that there were no tickets available and to clear the area, a woman with the Wiltern box office came up to the first four or five of us in the "waiting for tickets" line and escorted us quickly into the Wiltern and led us to the box office window where we could buy tickets...HALLELUJAH!!!!

It all happeneed so fast...next thing I know, I've got my ticket and wristband and I'm actually one of the lucky ones inside the Wiltern...and all for only $53...I didn't have to pay service charges or scalper prices, thank god!

And it turns out my seat is right in front of Ray Manzarek, LOL! After Solomon Burke's set, however, I met some people who helped sneak me into the general admission floor area, so I was in prime location for the Stones!

And man, did the Stones deliver a rocking show...way way better than the Staples show. Where the Staples was a 5+ on a scale of 1 to 10, the Wiltern was a 10 and number 4 overall on the list of Stones concerts I have seen in my lifetime...after the 1972 shows at the Hollywood Palladium and the LA Forum and the Sunday July 13, 1975 Forum show.

Can't wait for the bootleg to come out for the Wiltern show...but no matter how good it sounds, it will never duplicate the experience of being there, 15 feet away from the boys!

I definitely GOT MY YA-YAS OUT!

Sean(I'm roadtripping to San Francisco for Pac Bell...any word on any Fillmore or Warfield shows?
11-06-02 09:12 PM
Dan
quote:
StrayCatLA wrote:

So as I watched Ben Stiller and Ray Manzarek and Paul Stanley(YUCK!)

Okay I can definitely understand why people hate KISS because I hate AT LEAST half of their material, but Paul Stanley is hands down one of the nicest people I have ever met. I had seats next to Gene, Paul and entourage at a previous (SPice Girls) concert and even though Gene was kind of a dick, Paul Stanley was really cool and we had a nice conversation.
Page: 1 2