ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1989 Thanks Axel!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Live Licks... why? Return to archive
November 8th, 2004 10:37 AM
Jerry in Boston Okay, I'll admit it, I caved. I saw the disc at Best Buy on Saturday and even though the sticker price listed at $22.99 I still decided to buy it. THANK GOD... it was apparently on sale cuz it only rang up $15.99... and boy was I glad.

The packaging is boring - from cover, to booklet, to disc color... boring. The track lists had some promise but what's up with the hack job? I handled the cut in "Brown Sugar" okay but when I got to "Rocks Off" I wanted to throw the fucking discs away! ARRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHH! Why cut that one up? Huh? It was going so well!!!!!!!!

I will not bother playing that record again.

Some might ask why I bought it in the first place. I'm a whore for live Stones. I love the live albums usually but this one is horrific.

Thank god for Four Flicks!

Jer
November 8th, 2004 12:18 PM
thousands I thaught it was alright to be honest, ok u ca\n rip me cuz i'm 'only 16' and 'havent got a clue' but i love to shut my eyes and imagine i'm there, i love the vibe it gives me, n since i just got kicked out of my home and the only stones cd i have with me is live licks its really keepin me sane and making me happy.
November 8th, 2004 08:24 PM
Soldatti Live Licks is good, much better that No Security, Flashpoint and Still Life.
November 9th, 2004 07:57 AM
corgi37 And will never be bought by me unless i am threatened with beheading by some dirty Arab bastard.
November 9th, 2004 08:03 AM
Gazza
quote:
thousands wrote:
I thaught it was alright to be honest, ok u ca\n rip me cuz i'm 'only 16' and 'havent got a clue' but i love to shut my eyes and imagine i'm there, i love the vibe it gives me, n since i just got kicked out of my home and the only stones cd i have with me is live licks its really keepin me sane and making me happy.

No one's gonna "rip" ya, nor should they. If it brightens your day - great. It doesnt make you any less of a fan than those (like me) who find the release pointless. Each to their own.
November 9th, 2004 10:25 AM
Jerry in Boston
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
Live Licks is good, much better that No Security, Flashpoint and Still Life.

I actually like Flashpoint, to be honest. Even though it was sanded, polished, rubbed, re-sanded, re-polished, and re-rubbed, I still dig it. So I guess it's all up to the listener. I don't hate Still Life but I do like it better than Security.

November 9th, 2004 10:29 AM
Joey

" Flashpoint " is one of the Greatest Live Albums EVER ( contains a Fantastic version of Ruby Tuesday )

Jacky Ewing ! ™
November 9th, 2004 10:33 AM
F505 After Love You Live the Stones never made a decent live album anymore...
November 9th, 2004 10:49 AM
Joey
quote:
F505 wrote:
After Love You Live the Stones never made a decent live album anymore...

F505 !

After thinking it over ........you may NOT touch my Monkey EVER again .

Never !

Ninea !

NINEA ABS SHAE MONKEE !!!!!

Ninea !

|
|
|
|
|
V
November 9th, 2004 10:49 AM
jb
quote:
F505 wrote:

Agree 100$ Still life was should have been called "Still birth" as it was an abortion. Flashpoint was our intro into the Vegas Stonnes wall of sound, No Security, up and until Live Licks was the worst Stones album , live or otherwise, and Live Licks=culmination of crappy playing and Mick's nauseating pronuciation of every syllable....
November 9th, 2004 10:51 AM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
Agree 100$ Still life was should have been called "Still birth" as it was an abortion. Flashpoint was our intro into the Vegas Stonnes wall of sound, No Security, up and until Live Licks was the worst Stones album , live or otherwise, and Live Licks=culmination of crappy playing and Mick's nauseating pronuciation of every syllable....

I would like to caress your kneecaps this afternoon
November 9th, 2004 10:55 AM
F505 Fiji Joe send you his love
November 9th, 2004 11:09 AM
jb
quote:
F505 wrote:
Fiji Joe send you his love

Never connected with the guy even after I sent him my copy of GITD..
November 9th, 2004 11:21 AM
Snappy McJack
quote:
jb wrote:
[..] Mick's nauseating pronuciation of every syllable....

What's up with the "Nah ya cain't" on YCAGWYW? It's annoying!

Seriously, did they think this was going to be a big seller for the holidays? Because I really see no other goal this album is going for; the album really serves no purpose other than trying to keep the Stones "in the know." But is it worth it by releasing the audio of Four Flicks? Eminem's new album had to be released today because of a leak on the internet -- now, I don't care for the guy at all, but his album will probably sell 100 times more than "Live Licks"! That will be the holiday record setter, not the Stones' live album.
November 9th, 2004 11:26 AM
jb The Stones cannot compete with today's pop stars as far as sales are concerned..they have never been huge sellers, but rather, have been steady with moderate sales(albeit some big sellers wer "Hot Rocks", "Some Girls" and arguably "40 Licks" which sold 2.47 million USA). I think that this will sell substantially less than 1 million USA and perhaps not even reach gold(500K)...this is a throw a way album, perhaps a contractual obligation, with little or no meaning behind it's release.....
November 9th, 2004 02:17 PM
Joey
quote:
F505 wrote:
Fiji Joe send you his love

Yeah , whatever happened to that guy ?!?!

I know he is a big fan of the Kansas City Chiefs and Fiji Joe told me many years ago that " when the main electoral issue is national security -- Republicans win every single time .."

I miss my Fiji ...

I miss my Baby Steelie .....

I miss the comfort/privacy of me own bathroom ....

I miss ........................................

Joey Shawshank ! ™
November 9th, 2004 02:46 PM
F505 But I am still here!
November 9th, 2004 02:55 PM
Joey
quote:
F505 wrote:
But I am still here!

Hello F505 ................................

You are much loved by The Joey Ewing !

Er , you DO have plans for this evening ........................Right ?!?!

Developing ..................................

" Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

Sassy Joe Joe ! ™

November 9th, 2004 05:08 PM
Poplar
God you can't be serious. No way is live licks better than Still Life.
November 9th, 2004 08:41 PM
Soldatti
quote:
jb wrote:
The Stones cannot compete with today's pop stars as far as sales are concerned..

Sad but true, they cannot compete with U2 too, his new single will be #1 in UK selling loads of copies. I think that all the Stones' singles releases since 1994, ALL TOGETHER can't outsell the first week sales of U2's new single. And talking about albums the only that barely can compete with U2 is a new studio album.
November 10th, 2004 02:59 AM
stones-addict
quote:
F505 wrote:

You got that right! Live Licks is a kick in the crotch to all Stones fans