ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1989 Thanks Axel!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Grand Theft Parsons TONIGHT! (nsc) Return to archive
November 6th, 2004 09:09 PM
Bloozehound So I send Mrs. Blooze to the video store by herself to rent some flicks tonight, normally a VERY bad idea, but I'm watching a game and didn't wanna fool with it.

She gets back, and puts the flicks by the TV, so I walk over, and low and behold there sits Grand Theft Parsons!

I was schnazzle dazzled! She must of been reading my mind, I gave no prior notice to rent this, and her taste in movies usually don't swing this direction, but POOF! There it is! POOF! There it is! POOF! There it is!

Anyhooo, I'll be reviewing it sometime tonight, and I'll give youse guys the heads up if it's worth catching.
November 7th, 2004 10:40 AM
gypsy It sucks. I saw it last week sometime. I kept trying not to fall asleep. It totally sucks.
November 7th, 2004 03:00 PM
Bloozehound I tend to agree Gypsy. GTP was a disapointment as it wasn't really about GP as much as it was about Kaufmann and/or the oddness of the situation of stealing a body to burn in the desert. Basing it on GP was nothing more than a bait n switch to get people interested in the film. It could of been about anyone, and it wouldn't of affected the film much.

It's watchable, it's just not that good of a film. Definitely what's considered a "sleeper", fans of the offbeat will enjoy.

On the plus side:

1 Rolling Stones mention
2 pics of GP with Keith
killer soundtrack
cool cinemagraphy of the California desert/Joshua Tree National Forest -- I took a cruise on I-10 through that area of Cali this summer, and it's truely a desolate yet breathtakingly beautiful place.

I rate this sleepy puppy 2 sleepy smileys out of a potential 5.

November 7th, 2004 05:51 PM
Vinyl kills I read that the actor who plays Gram Parsons briefly appears onscreen and his resemblance to Gram is uncanny. Any truth to that?
November 7th, 2004 08:50 PM
Bloozehound I noticed a slight resemblance
November 7th, 2004 10:57 PM
gypsy I agree with you Bloozehound...there was a slight resemblance.
November 8th, 2004 07:27 AM
Gazza stick with the BBC documentary instead.

Much better
November 8th, 2004 12:39 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
I tend to agree Gypsy. GTP was a disapointment as it wasn't really about GP as much as it was about Kaufmann and/or the oddness of the situation of stealing a body to burn in the desert. Basing it on GP was nothing more than a bait n switch to get people interested in the film.

I don't think there was any bait and switch involved. I thought that it was always billed about the story of the stealing of the body.
November 8th, 2004 02:34 PM
gypsy I knew it was about the stealing of Gram's body...but I just expected it to be funnier. Not that stealing a carcass is funny...but it could have been.
November 8th, 2004 03:11 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
gypsy wrote:
I knew it was about the stealing of Gram's body...but I just expected it to be funnier. Not that stealing a carcass is funny...but it could have been.

Well, I take your's and Bloozehound's word for it. Alot of great themes end up as bad movies. Or vice versa LOL.
November 8th, 2004 09:11 PM
Bloozehound My main beef is that it never embellished on the GP angle of the story as much as it was simply attracted to the weirdness of the whole "body snatching" scenerio in an effort to make an offbeat, hip Coen Brothers/Tarantino-esque comedy, caper film, which even failed on that level too.

They should of just stated the film was inspired by an actual event, and called it Weekend at Bernies 10 (or whatever the Bernie series is up to now)

It was just a crappy film, thru and thru.
November 8th, 2004 09:56 PM
gypsy Exactly, Bloozey. They could have added witty dialogue between Kauffman and the hearse driver or something...but it was lame.