ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1989 Thanks Axel!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Live Licks - As Tears get "chucked" out... Return to archive
November 6th, 2004 04:48 AM
gotdablouse As much as I resent the Stones and especially Keith for not putting out new material since 1997, I've got to admit that LL fucking rocks and actually brought tears to my eyes, the first time this happens to me while listening to new music!

I really came to the Stones in 1982 after listening to the monster intro of "Under My Thumb" on Still Life and actually played it again the other day at full throttle on that same original LP and with LL I'm now accepting the fact that they won't be a 5 man band anymore with the booming lines of Bill Wyman. I guess the best news about LL is that the infamous Chuckster is BURIED DOWN in the mix with the guitars at the forefront...unlike during the tour (honky tonk piano on When the Whip anyone?) and on Four Flicks. Have Mick and Keith been reading Rocks Off or what? In that sense it doesn't really document the tour very well but it's a GREAT album (best Live LP by far I'd say) and could be a good sign of things to come for that elusive new LP they have in the works.

ROCK ON BOYS!
November 6th, 2004 07:25 AM
padre So the boys have done a good job with dubbing the guitars!
November 6th, 2004 07:42 AM
gotdablouse I guess...it certainly doesn't sound like what I heard at Pacbell Stadium in SanFran in November or even at the Oakland Arena a couple of days later. Still as a standalone piece of work I'd rather have rocking guitars upfront than weak guitars and an annoying plink plonker. I only watched Four Flicks a couple of times because I couldn't stand listening to that horrible piano playing so high in the mix...It would be interesting to go back and see how LL compares to FF in this respect.

My "theory" has been that they employ and "suffer" Chuckster on stage with them because his "filler" playing makes for a stadium crowd pleasing sound and also as a "safety net" for Keith's and Ron's "flailing" guitars and missed chords. Obviously for a live album overdubs become the "safety net" and it's probably more difficult to do with a video like FF. Just my 2 cents.
[Edited by gotdablouse]
November 6th, 2004 09:34 AM
egon bought it;

it's copy controlled and thus won't play on my pc (without installing some dubious software that is) or in my car.

luckily the stones are consistent and thus the cover art is as shitty as ever. (eventhoughi have the topless version!)

now let's give it a spin...
November 6th, 2004 01:42 PM
egon not bad at all. better than flashpoint & security imo.
and i did get it to work on my pc.
don't know what they mean by copy controlled though, it copies just fine.
November 6th, 2004 05:21 PM
glencar The topless version isn't on sale at Best Buy or else it sold out right away. So far I & some friends have only seen the covered up version.
November 6th, 2004 09:19 PM
Soldatti I really like the album, the CD 1 is killer with SFM, PIB, SMU, IORR and GS as the best. Angie is great too!
The CD 2 is even better, the Rocks Off cut is horrible but the version is great, BOB is beautiful, Neighbours kicks ass, CYHMK is the best version that I heard so far...all the disk is good. I'm really happy with Live Licks, the best live album after Ya-Ya's, IMO.
November 7th, 2004 01:46 PM
Monkey Woman Funny what you're saying egon, because the CD plays on my computer but not on my standalone cd player! Of course it's an old one and maybe not compatible with that copy control thingy...
November 7th, 2004 08:44 PM
Soldatti The Cd works fine on my Cd-player, I just push the second bottom of the player.
November 8th, 2004 11:49 AM
egon about 20 care free years and this is where we end up.... there's even a warning on the cd saying that you might have problems playing it. WTF??!!!
November 8th, 2004 11:52 AM
jb
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
I really like the album, the CD 1 is killer with SFM, PIB, SMU, IORR and GS as the best. Angie is great too!
The CD 2 is even better, the Rocks Off cut is horrible but the version is great, BOB is beautiful, Neighbours kicks ass, CYHMK is the best version that I heard so far...all the disk is good. I'm really happy with Live Licks, the best live album after Ya-Ya's, IMO.

Best live album since "Ya -Ya's"...guess they have made a lot of abysmal live albums...this does not come close to LYL.....
November 8th, 2004 11:57 AM
Gazza LYL is an abortion of an album aside from the El Mocambo tracks and a couple of others. Mick never sang worse and the fact that the non-Mocambo songs are taken from about six or seven shows spread over a year only emphasises how consistently lousy many of those performances were
November 8th, 2004 12:35 PM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:
LYL is an abortion of an album aside from the El Mocambo tracks and a couple of others. Mick never sang worse and the fact that the non-Mocambo songs are taken from about six or seven shows spread over a year only emphasises how consistently lousy many of those performances were

Probably the only version of IORR that rocks...also Tumbling Dice truly fantastic...Fingerprint File, Hot Stuff, IYCRM...I think it has quite a "stonsey" sound..sloppy, raw, and humorous...
November 8th, 2004 01:29 PM
F505 Love You Live is the best live album of the Stones!
November 8th, 2004 05:47 PM
luridchief I still love LYL's medley of "If You Can't Rock Me/Get Off Of My Cloud!"
November 8th, 2004 07:21 PM
Mr Hess
quote:
luridchief wrote:
I still love LYL's medley of "If You Can't Rock Me/Get Off Of My Cloud!"

I agree!!!
November 8th, 2004 08:37 PM
Soldatti The only good on LYL is the side 3, the rest is average and sloppy.
November 8th, 2004 09:02 PM
gotdablouse Yes, LYL certainly doens't carry much excitment and feels mostly "muddy", LL is really a good surprise as far as I'm concerned, what a friggin' sound, I love it, too bad that's not what they sound like on stage ;-)

Anyone care to comment on my 2 cent theory about why they have Chuckster around on stage and don't even get him to guest on studio albums (he reportedly was disappointed to be called in for B2B..NOT ME!)
November 9th, 2004 01:02 AM
Egbert Count me in as a LYL fan.
November 9th, 2004 05:07 AM
gotdablouse Ok, I'm giving LYL another spin as I type this to see if my memories are biased ;-)
November 9th, 2004 07:36 AM
corgi37 As Ving Rhames says so eloquently in Dawn of the Dead.

"Fuck Ya'll".

I love LYL.

Well, i did, until Gazza filled me in a few weeks ago on what they butchered.

Thanks buddy!! lol.
November 9th, 2004 01:13 PM
marko Love you live,doesn´t give the right image from the 1976
tour,or even from 75 tour.
From 76 you guys really should hear shows like Munster-germany...can´t get any sloppier.
November 9th, 2004 08:28 PM
Soldatti I have great versions of the same tracks on Love You Live, great shows on 75-76 but the best not is on the album.