ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1989 Thanks Axel!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Another review of Live Licks Return to archive
November 5th, 2004 11:24 PM
Soldatti I agree 100% with this review

Stones roll out another live disc
By DARRYL STERDAN

LIVE LICKS
The Rolling Stones
(Virgin/EMI)

We call shenanigans! Since the early '90s, the Stones have stuck to the same game plan -- put out a studio album, do a world tour, put out a live album.

But with the two-disc Live Licks -- their eighth concert release -- Mick, Keef and the lads are getting ahead of themselves. And pushing their luck.

Live Licks, taped on their last tour, follows 2002's Forty Licks best-of and 1998's live set No Security, making it the third compilation since their last studio disc -- 1997's Bridges to Babylon, if you remember that far back.

OK, the performances on this 23-song set are cracking, the set list has left-field entries like Monkey Man and Worried About You, and the production is vibrant, with Keith and Ron's slashing guitars sharply separated in the mix.

But really, how many live versions of Satisfaction and Brown Sugar do they expect us to buy?

Get back to the studio, boys -- and near as we can tell, you owe us a double album.

http://www.canoe.ca/JamAlbumsR/rollingstones_live-sun.html
November 6th, 2004 12:31 AM
egon when does it hit the stores?
November 6th, 2004 12:50 AM
Poplar
Brilliant review, really. I agree on every point.

November 6th, 2004 12:55 AM
egon yeah but it is not really a review is it?
November 6th, 2004 01:09 AM
egon you have to excuse me, i've got nothing else to do at the moment
November 6th, 2004 06:38 AM
corgi37 Its like i wrote that review myself. Minus the swear words and spiteful comments like "old farts", "selfish", "lazy rich old pricks" etc.

And, why should he actually review it? LL doesnt deserve to be released, let alone reviewed.

Fuck, let alone bought!
November 6th, 2004 09:00 PM
Soldatti The CD it's great, but we all want a new studio album or something new, 7 years and counting is too much time...
November 7th, 2004 10:02 AM
Monkey Woman Yet another review. Live Licks is gathering more love this time. And from a website that's more geared to the casual fan and to those who don't know the Stones yet. New recruits for the cause can't be bad!

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=1282&dept_id=182122&newsid=13303086&PAG=461&rfi=9

November 05, 2004

What's new on the music shelves
Rolling Stones
"Live Licks"
Virgin America
5 stars

Anyone who remains unconvinced that the Rolling Stones are the globe's greatest rock and roll band obviously was not among the 3 million-plus who attended at least one of the 113 shows of the 2002-2003 "40 Licks" world tour.

Conceived as a celebration of the band's 40 years of making genre-changing music, and in conjunction with the release of a two-CD greatest hits package of the same name, "Licks" was extravagant even by Stones' standards.

State-of-the-art lighting and a two-tiered main stage so sprawling that Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ron Wood needed the four giant-screen monitors hoisted above the platform just to see each other - never mind give better visual access to the audience - it all made the "Licks" shows an optical feast for Stones fans.

But the bottom line was the music. And not just any music - or just any Rolling Stones music, for that matter. It was the song selection that made the difference as night after night as the core four and their nine-piece backing ensemble flawlessly delivered the classics that made them rock's reigning royalty in the 1960s and '70s and have kept them on the throne through four decades.

If you missed it, shame on you.

Fortunately, however, redemption is at hand.

Newly arrived in the CD bins Tuesday - "surely the second most important event in America on Nov. 2," said the band's tongue-in-cheek announcement of the release - is "Live Licks," a two-disc snapshot of a typical evening with the Rolling Stones during their two-year trot across the planet.

And while obviously the visual fireworks are missing from the package, the music is almost as memorable on digitally encoded plastic as it was onstage.

"Live Licks" is divided into two segments - conveniently one per disc - that together capture the spirit and the magic of the tour.

First up is a mini-greatest-hits collection of 11 essentials, including a "Honky Tonk Woman" collaboration with Sheryl Crow, who opened for the Stones on several of the U.S. stops (although, sadly, not the January 2003 Mellon Arena visit).

Also on disc one are "Street Fighting Man," "Brown Sugar" and "Start Me Up," the three songs the band chose most often to open the show, as well as the Stones' bigger '60s and '70s standards such as "Paint It Black," "You Can't Always Get What You Want," "It's Only Rock and Roll," "Angie" and, of course, "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction."

Richards is spotlighted on "Happy," one of his solo turns during the tour.

But the gem of the opening disc, as it was of most "40 Licks" concerts, is "Gimme Shelter," the psychedelia/gospel masterpiece that is sung to stunning perfection by Jagger and backup vocalist Lisa Fisher to the accompaniment of Richards' and Woods' blistering guitars.

Disc two collects a handful of originals and rare covers never before released on a live Rolling Stones album. Those include "Everybody Needs Somebody to Love" with Solomon Burke, and an exquisite "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" fueled by saxophonist Bobby Keys' scorching jazz runs and Jaggers' bluesy harp.

Recommended if you like: Eric Burdon and the Animals, The Black Crowes, The Strokes

- Dave Fennessy
November 7th, 2004 08:50 PM
Soldatti Great review, thanks for post it.