ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1989 Thanks Axel!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: disc two is strange Return to archive
November 3rd, 2004 12:57 PM
Saint Sway I'm glad the Stones put out Live Licks... but... the track list baffles me!

esp side two. It seems so randomly picked

why was songs they nailed consistently and really rocked like Thru And Thru, Midnight Rambler, Sympathy, Hand Of Fate, Live With Me, Stray Cat Blues, Let It Bleed and Tumbling Dice left off?

I dont understand the Stones... you'd think they'd want to put their best songs out?
November 3rd, 2004 01:49 PM
luridchief It is a haphazard, poorly-planned selection. And RAMBLER should have been included!
November 3rd, 2004 01:50 PM
jb
quote:
luridchief wrote:
It is a haphazard, poorly-planned selection. And RAMBLER should have been included!

Absolutely correct...Glad to hear you are doing well!!!
November 3rd, 2004 02:13 PM
lucasd4 No matter what they put on there, people would piss and moan about what's not on there......

quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
I'm glad the Stones put out Live Licks... but... the track list baffles me!

esp side two. It seems so randomly picked

why was songs they nailed consistently and really rocked like Thru And Thru, Midnight Rambler, Sympathy, Hand Of Fate, Live With Me, Stray Cat Blues, Let It Bleed and Tumbling Dice left off?

I dont understand the Stones... you'd think they'd want to put their best songs out?

November 3rd, 2004 04:59 PM
Monkey Woman The most puzzling: why did Virgin fail to promote it? You would have thought they'd send a decent sample CD, press release, etc.
November 3rd, 2004 05:08 PM
Madafaka I don't know why they didn't put in the cd She Smiled Sweetly. Stones played it only once on FL Tour and that performance was amazing!
November 3rd, 2004 05:23 PM
Monkey Woman Ah, but thanks to you, my dear Argentinian friend, the RocksOff nation has been offered the real complete live licks! She smiled sweetly included.
November 3rd, 2004 09:02 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Madafaka wrote:
I don't know why they didn't put in the cd She Smiled Sweetly. Stones played it only once on FL Tour and that performance was amazing!

100% true
November 3rd, 2004 10:30 PM
gorda And, where is "Wild Horses"?????
November 3rd, 2004 11:57 PM
Madafaka
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
Ah, but thanks to you, my dear Argentinian friend, the RocksOff nation has been offered the real complete live licks! She smiled sweetly included.

It was a pleasure my French friend! You're always welcome

If I could make it two months later that finished the tour... Couldn't They do slightly better one year later?
And I just got a Mac G4 and a Sound Forge software!
Rare things that happens in the world of the music!
I guess they know what they do...
Like wrote the Glimmer Twins once "I'm not going to burn in hell, I cased the joint and I know it well"
November 4th, 2004 10:13 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
lucasd4 wrote:
No matter what they put on there, people would piss and moan about what's not on there......

I guess I should clarify... this isnt a piss and moan post. I'm just confused by the selections. It seems so... RANDOM.

I get that disc one is the "war horses/great.hits" side and disc two is the deeper cuts that they featured at the club shows. The thing is with so much to choose from why these? They clearly arent the best performed songs or the most wanted selections. I just dont get their methodology behind the picks.
November 4th, 2004 02:47 PM
Monkey Woman It does feel like a hit-and-miss selection.
November 4th, 2004 02:49 PM
LadyJane I'm skipping this one..I've already got the Grade A version courtesy of Madafaka and RO!!

Many thanks!!

LJ.
November 4th, 2004 03:21 PM
Madafaka
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
I'm skipping this one..I've already got the Grade A version courtesy of Madafaka and RO!!

Many thanks!!

LJ.

Thank YOU
November 4th, 2004 03:38 PM
TomL I like disc 2. Worried about you.....ah yea.......
November 4th, 2004 08:53 PM
Soldatti I'm listening by first time the disk two right now, disk 1 not is so bad.
November 4th, 2004 09:26 PM
Saint Sway should of DEFINATELY included:
If You Cant Rock Me
Star Star
Midnight Rambler
Mannish Boy

and probably should of included:
Dont Stop
Sympathy For the Devil
Bitch
Hand of Fate
Dance

plus there were just so many greats from this tour. Why not cherry pick the best. This disc just seems so haphasardly plucked. Rocks Off - with the edit - is a joke.

I really thought they did a better job of constructing the discs for Four Flicks than they did with this. Its not like they havent had the time either.
November 4th, 2004 10:27 PM
Zack
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
I'm skipping this one..I've already got the Grade A version courtesy of Madafaka and RO!!

Many thanks!!

LJ.

100% true, to use an original phrase. Licked All Over rules.
November 4th, 2004 10:44 PM
Mr Hess I wanted Parachute Woman and the Orpheum version of Rock Me Baby
November 4th, 2004 11:20 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
should of DEFINATELY included:
If You Cant Rock Me
Star Star
Midnight Rambler
Mannish Boy

and probably should of included:
Dont Stop
Sympathy For the Devil
Bitch
Hand of Fate
Dance

The list is so long...Heart Of Stone, She Smiled Sweetly, Torn And Frayed... but this songs are all for the disk 2 and no much space there for more than three others...
November 6th, 2004 12:12 AM
Madafaka
quote:
Zack wrote:
100% true, to use an original phrase. Licked All Over rules.

November 6th, 2004 03:18 AM
akissaway I'm enjoying Live Licks. It 's a tasty addition to play along with the wonderful Licked All Over. You rock, Madafaka! Thanks.
November 6th, 2004 06:17 AM
corgi37 You just know i am never going to buy this rip-off trash. Some one posted about why Virgin were not promoting it.

Shit, would you! hahahaha.

I doubt i will even download any of if. Well, maybe Worried bout you.

See that Stones. I wont be PAYING for it! Fuck you, you lazy old rich bastards.

P.S. Anyone got the sales figures on this sucker? I would be interested to know if its a serious challenger to U2's latest. LMAO!
November 6th, 2004 06:19 AM
Monkey Woman I bought LL yesterday and I admit I enjoy it. But what with the limited amount of promotion, the not-too-great edits and uninspired song selection, I'm wondering if Mick didn't just spend so much time and attention to the Alfie soundtrack these last few months that he just did the bare minimum for Live Licks... It seems that these days, the Stones as a band exist only when they regroup for an album and/or tour, and that when Mick doesn't take care of the details, nobody else does.
November 6th, 2004 10:30 AM
Madafaka
quote:
akissaway wrote:
I'm enjoying Live Licks. It 's a tasty addition to play along with the wonderful Licked All Over. You rock, Madafaka! Thanks.

Thank YOU!
November 6th, 2004 10:34 AM
Madafaka
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
I bought LL yesterday and I admit I enjoy it. But what with the limited amount of promotion, the not-too-great edits and uninspired song selection, I'm wondering if Mick didn't just spend so much time and attention to the Alfie soundtrack these last few months that he just did the bare minimum for Live Licks... It seems that these days, the Stones as a band exist only when they regroup for an album and/or tour, and that when Mick doesn't take care of the details, nobody else does.

Hum... I'm not sure about it. I think that they made an album that sale. Everybody buy "Greatest Hits". Like Phog said, "A cool souvenir for the casual fan. Non-essential for the die-hards."
November 6th, 2004 11:20 AM
glencar They should have kept it at 3 discs & left in the songs that were initially indicated. The packaging is certainly uninspired. But I do love love love ENSTL & THSMLI. That is all.
November 6th, 2004 09:05 PM
Soldatti My two cents...
Disk one: the 11 songs plus Midnight Rambler, JJF and Tumbling Dice.
Disk two: the 12 songs, Rocks Off without that horrible edit + Hand Of Fate and Stray Cat Blues (why not both from the Olympia?) and this live album is the best after Ya-Ya's.
November 7th, 2004 10:00 AM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Madafaka wrote:

Hum... I'm not sure about it. I think that they made an album that sale. Everybody buy "Greatest Hits". Like Phog said, "A cool souvenir for the casual fan. Non-essential for the die-hards."

Good point.
November 7th, 2004 08:46 PM
Soldatti I really like the CD 1 now!