ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

In Memory of Joe Jagger
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: YES ....... !!!! ( N.S.C. ) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8th November 2006 09:22 AM
Joey
.....Ahh ..... The Sweet Smell of Victory !

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eln_election_rdp

" *** Democrats sweep into power in House . *** "

" The battle for the Senate hung on a few thousand cliffhanger votes in two states Wednesday, long after polls closed in an election that swept Democrats into power in the House and delivered a rebuke of GOP scandal, the Iraq war and the course of a nation.

A succession of tainted Republicans lost seats as their leaders lost power, a stinging and discerning referendum on the ways of Washington. A large majority of voters surveyed across the country said their disgust with corruption influenced their choice.

Democrats took solid control in the House, rebounding after a dozen years in the minority, and dismantled most if not all of the GOP Senate majority.

The Senate hung in the balance Wednesday because of extremely tight races in Virginia and Montana. Democrats needed to win both to complete their grip on legislative power. A potential Virginia recount could further lengthen the suspense.

Setting a standard her party will be judged on in elections two years from now, speaker-in-waiting Nancy Pelosi promised: "Democrats intend to lead the most honest, the most open and the most ethical Congress in history."

The California Democrat was on the cusp of making history herself, as the first woman speaker. President Bush called her Wednesday morning to congratulate her.

Democrats took 20 of 36 governors races to give themselves a majority of top state jobs — 28 — for the first time in a dozen years. New York, Ohio, Massachusetts, Colorado, Maryland and Arkansas went into the Democratic column.

Republicans hung on to Florida's governorship, with Charlie Crist prevailing in a race to succeed Bush's brother Jeb, and Bob Corker won a closely watched Senate contest in Tennessee, denying Democrat Harold Ford Jr.'s bid to become the first black senator from the South in more than a century.

But the night was one Republicans wished they could forget. For a two-term president who has led with Senate and House control for most of his time in office, easing the way for his tax cuts and war policy, it was an unaccustomed dose of defeat.

The best face his spokesman could put on it was that some people saw it coming. It was not a "a slap-on-the-forehead kind of shock," Tony Snow said. Of the results, he said: "They have not gone the way he would have liked."

Control of the Senate came down to two races once considered safely Republican, until the Democratic wave gathered and gaffes by the two GOP candidates.

In Virginia, Democrat Jim Webb, a former Navy secretary under Ronald Reagan, claimed victory Wednesday on the basis of a tiny lead of fewer than 12,000 votes out of more than 2.3 million cast. But with four precincts left to be counted, and margins tight enough for a possible recount, opponent Sen. George Allen (news, bio, voting record) was not conceding.

In Montana, three-term Sen. Conrad Burns (news, bio, voting record) narrowly trailed Democrat Jon Tester in a contest that officials said would not be settled until later Wednesday because of voting machine problems in Yellowstone County.

Burns, 71, first elected in 1988 as a folksy, backslapping outsider, came under siege as a top recipient of campaign contributions from disgraced lobbyist Jack Abramoff. He did himself no favors, either, when he confronted members of a wildfire-fighting team and accused them of doing a bad job.

Allen, a former Virginia governor, struggled for months to get his campaign back on stride after he used the obscure racial slur "macaca" to introduce a man of Indian descent to an all-white rally.

Across the country, voters expressed exasperation with the criminal convictions, the investigations and the recent sexual e-mail scandal that befell Congress over the past two years.

In surveys conducted at polling places, three out of four voters said corruption and scandalous behavior in Congress made them more likely to vote Democratic.

Also in the surveys, about six in 10 voters disapproved of the Iraq war and only a third believed it had improved long-term security in the United States.

Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., echoing Pelosi, said the election shows "we must change course in Iraq."

More broadly, he said, Americans "have come to the conclusion, as we did some time ago, that a one-party town simply doesn't work."

Without losing any seats of their own, Democrats captured 27 GOP-held seats and were leading for two more, assuring them of control 12 years after a Republican rout brought a new generation of conservatives into office.

Democrats also defeated four Republican incumbents in the Senate — Rick Santorum in Pennsylvania, Mike DeWine in Ohio, Jim Talent in Missouri and Lincoln Chafee in Rhode Island — who covered the spectrum from conservative to moderate.

Indiana was particularly cruel to House Republicans. Reps. John Hostettler, Chris Chocola and Mike Sodrel all lost in a state where Republican Gov. Mitch Daniels' unpopularity compounded the dissatisfaction with Bush.

One of the biggest surprises of the night was Republican Rep. Jim Leach (news, bio, voting record)'s defeat in Iowa after a career that spanned 30 years, losing to Dave Loebsack, a college professor making his first run for elective office. The two parties spent lavishly on television commercials in dozens of districts deemed competitive — but not that one.

Scandal took an undeniable toll on the Republicans. Democrat Zack Space won the race to succeed Bob Ney, who pleaded guilty to corruption this fall in the Abramoff scandal. Republican Rep. John Sweeney (news, bio, voting record) lost his seat in New York several days after reports that he had roughed up his wife — an allegation she denied.

Republicans also lost the seat that Rep. Mark Foley (news, bio, voting record) had held. He resigned on Sept. 29 after being confronted with sexually explicit computer messages he had written to teenage pages.

Rep. Don Sherwood (news, bio, voting record) lost despite apologizing to the voters for a long-term affair with a much younger woman; and Rep. Curt Weldon (news, bio, voting record), also from Pennsylvania, was denied a new term after he became embroiled in a corruption investigation.

The GOP also lost the Texas seat once held by former Majority Leader Tom DeLay.

Surveys of voters suggested Democrats were winning the support of independents with almost 60 percent support, and middle-class voters were leaving Republicans behind.

About six in 10 voters said the nation is on the wrong track and disapproved of the way Bush is handling his job. Voters in all groups were more inclined to vote for Democratic candidates than for Republicans. "

[cc:ss]

[Edited by Joey]
8th November 2006 09:27 AM
ListenToTheLion Tony?
8th November 2006 09:29 AM
Jumping Jack I'll bet the Dems now wish they hadn't knifed Lieberman in the back, LOL!!!
8th November 2006 10:05 AM
corgi37 Is the term "Lame Duck" applicable now?
8th November 2006 10:26 AM
Joey
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Is the term "Lame Duck" applicable now?

Frig Yeah !!!!!!

8th November 2006 10:52 AM
Maxlugar Uh Bush has been a "lame duck" since his second term began, as he is not going to run again. Ok Corky boys?

"Govern beeotches!! LOL!!! Veto power!!!"

8th November 2006 11:17 AM
Joey
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:

Uh Bush has been a "lame duck" since his second term began, as he is not going to run again. Ok Corky boys?

On your knees son !!!!!!

KNEEL before the Democratic Party !

BallCustard .™
8th November 2006 11:19 AM
Scottfree I'm truly amazed how many Comrades are on this board....
8th November 2006 11:40 AM
Maxlugar
quote:
Joey wrote:

KNEEL before the Democratic Party !

Sorry, old pal. I can't get down that low...
8th November 2006 11:56 AM
Joey " Sorry, old pal. I can't get down that low..."

8th November 2006 12:00 PM
jostorm Joey: could you please briefly explain exactly what happened today? I'm not American, so don't understand what the two "Houses" are for,or how having a majority in both of them necessarlily changes the way things are running now, and I also wonder if the wins were solely on "moral" grounds (like roughing up one's wife? surely not? doesn't the "other side" do the same???) . And, most importantly, how much longer will we and the rest of the world all have to see Mr Bush's awful simian face on TV???

In any case, congratulations are in order!!!!
(Will you from now on be free of digestive troubles????)
8th November 2006 12:02 PM
Starbuck oh my gosh! this is even bigger news than the election!

have you two made up?

now do you all see the effects of dems in power again? if peace between max and joey can be attained, peace in the mideast cannot be far behind.
8th November 2006 12:27 PM
Jaxx be careful what you wish for my red feathered friends. i am a staunch supporter of a three or more party government (how can you divide all the views, values and mores in this country into just 2 parties?). tho i am not a lieberman fan, i salute his victory as an independent. hindsight is 20/20. i recall when the US first found themselves in iraq, the president had a 70% approval rating. tho i am not a bush fan, i don't think he lied about the war, i think he made decisions based on the info he was given. the greater question is W T F is wrong with our high tech espionage layer of national security? i am anti war, but i also don't want to live in fear of the bully on the block. im my mind world politics boil down to playground politics. for there to be peace and harmony, you have to deflate the bullies.
what will be the ramifications of cut and run in iraq? "sitting duck" is the term that comes to my mind.
8th November 2006 12:32 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Jaxx wrote:
be careful what you wish for my red feathered friends. i am a staunch supporter of a three or more party government (how can you divide all the views, values and mores in this country into just 2 parties?). tho i am not a lieberman fan, i salute his victory as an independent. hindsight is 20/20. i recall when the US first found themselves in iraq, the president had a 70% approval rating. tho i am not a bush fan, i don't think he lied about the war, i think he made decisions based on the info he was given. the greater question is W T F is wrong with our high tech espionage layer of national security? i am anti war, but i also don't want to live in fear of the bully on the block. im my mind world politics boil down to playground politics. for there to be peace and harmony, you have to deflate the bullies.
what will be the ramifications of cut and run in iraq? "sitting duck" is the term that comes to my mind.

Spot on...peace comes only after unconditional surrender...history has taught us that countless times...obliterate...not occupy...who will give us that?

Have you seen that documentary "Obsession"?...every American needs to watch it...I would hate for someone with the power to vote to be ignorant on one of the major issues of our time

http://www.obsessionthemovie.com/
8th November 2006 12:35 PM
Jaxx intersting point fige. history always repeats itself, yet no one bothers to pay attention close enough to bother to change anything. genocide didn't end with the holocaust, war didn't end with WWII, democracy does not mean that best candidates will get elected.

thanks for the link. the topic is scary. i picked up a few books on the subject, one of which is american jihad. scary stuff.
[Edited by Jaxx]
8th November 2006 12:47 PM
Joey
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

Spot on...peace comes only after unconditional surrender...history has taught us that countless times...obliterate...not occupy...who will give us that?

Have you seen that documentary "Obsession"?...every American needs to watch it...I would hate for someone with the power to vote to be ignorant on one of the major issues of our time

http://www.obsessionthemovie.com/

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
"Lil Fiji..I just got a feeling that in 15 or 20 years, you're gonna be somebody...maybe like a writer or something"
8th November 2006 12:49 PM
Joey " Joey: could you please briefly explain exactly what happened today? "

What happened is THIS ! :

8th November 2006 12:53 PM
WJ
quote:
Joey wrote:
" Joey: could you please briefly explain exactly what happened today? "

What happened is THIS ! :

At $4.95 a roll this would be a great gift for many on your list; Christmas is just around the corner.
8th November 2006 12:56 PM
Joey
quote:
WJ wrote:

At $4.95 a roll this would be a great gift for many on your list; Christmas is just around the corner.

Damn Straight My Brother .

8th November 2006 12:58 PM
WJ
quote:
Joey wrote:

Damn Straight My Brother .

Um.....or sister.
8th November 2006 01:20 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
Scottfree wrote:
I'm truly amazed how many Comrades are on this board....

and we're truly amazed at the phalangists here!!

Cazart!!!
8th November 2006 01:23 PM
robpop I see some red states and they're now painted blue.
8th November 2006 01:35 PM
Jaxx the president is on now talking about the replacement of rumsfeld with gates. he's tap dancing around the animosity between him and his new majority house leader, ms. third in command. "i'm seasoned enough to know when politicking ends and governing begins".
8th November 2006 01:41 PM
Jumping Jack Joey, with new blue states Pete we be able to expand the Who tour to new parts of the country!!!
8th November 2006 01:47 PM
pdog SF values are third in line for President, whatever the fuck that bullsit line means. I find it hysterical, that people think the city I live in is the gateway to hell and the end of America...
I take for granted that I don't even have an issue with my sons teacher being a gay man...
It's a shame that in some places, in this land where we are supposed to be free, he would be fired, and treated less than human!
In the america I beleive, you don't even have to fight for his rights, it's a non issue, and you don't waste the time, you deal with real threats.
In the America I I beleive in, if you go to war after being mislead, you don't sopend the next 3 years trying to convince people you're still right. You act accordingly, and try everytihng you can to save lives. How can a religous right person not see the logic, that God knows it was false, and all the killing is therefore sinful?
Or you go by my spiritual POV, and realize you made a mistake, and act like someone who made a mistake, not act like ssomeone who is right, when you know, there were no WMD's...
Why did a once great party of the likes of goldwater b/c a springboard for idiots who actually think we've only been on this planet for 5,000 years?
And now we've got Demorats, who allowed this bullshit to become issues, and take the time to appease this bullshit non issue crap, in charge!

8th November 2006 01:59 PM
Joey
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Joey, with new blue states Pete we be able to expand the Who tour to new parts of the country!!!

Jumping Jack !

I am now so excited that I am typing this with my penis .
8th November 2006 02:02 PM
pdog
quote:
Joey wrote:

Jumping Jack !

I am now so excited that I am typing this with my penis .

Jerking off while on your computer, Howe Foley!
8th November 2006 02:23 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
pdog wrote:
I take for granted that I don't even have an issue with my sons teacher being a gay man...

But would take issue with someone who did take issue?
8th November 2006 02:26 PM
pdog
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

But would take issue with someone who did take issue?

"Pdog is a committed secular progressive who embraces San Francisco values. Those are: a massive federal government that dispenses entitlements paid for primarily by affluent Americans. That is called income redistribution, or the shorthand: "tax the rich." San Francisco values also seek to exclude spirituality from the public square but embrace displays like the Bay City's gay pride parade, where Christianity is often mocked and demeaned.

Now, I'm not saying Pdog is on board with that, but I am saying his city wants to ban military recruiting while setting up city-wide pot shops, and that San Francisco is now perhaps the most far-left city the United States has ever seen."
8th November 2006 02:26 PM
jb What about Dennis Hasterts' values being third in line from Presidency? Allegely covering up a predator for political survival..I'll take my chances with the very sexy 66 yr old Pelosi.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)