ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006
¡ Gracias Stoneslib!
With Willis and Depp!
© 2005 Getty Images with thanks to Gypsy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: rarities album - big disappointment Return to archive Page: 1 2
November 8th, 2005 11:15 AM
Lethargy I know this is probably old news, but I finally got around to reading the tracklist for the forthcoming Rarities CD. I had assumed this would be GREAT, b/c we all know how many unreleased gems and b-sides there are, even from Voodoo alone!

Instead, I can't believe how lame this is. Look at the song list. Where's Cook Cook Blues? Where's Sure The One You Need? Jump On Top Of Me? Where's everything else? Why put Dance Pt 2 on here instead, which is already available? Also, I don't think a remix counts as a rarity, especially if it's Harlem Shuffle.

Another screw job on the fans. And oh yeah, it's sold through Starbucks, another humiliation for band and fans.

Thanks for tolerating my rant.

# Fancy Man Blues
# Tumbling Dice (live)
# Wild Horses
# Beast Of Burden (live)
# Anyway You Look At It
# If I Was A Dancer (Dance Part 2)
# Miss You (Dance version)
# Wish I'd Never Met You
# I Just Wanna Make Love To You (live)
# Mixed Emotions (12" version)
# Through The Lonely Nights
# Live With Me (live)
# Let It Rock (live)
# Harlem Shuffle (NY Mix)
# Mannish Boy
# Thru and Thru (live)
November 8th, 2005 11:25 AM
Nellcote It's Only Rock & Roll.
Look, we got a good 30-50 yrs. left on the planet.
Give it time, better days are ahead.
Seriously, you did not expect a Springsteen Tracks type 4 disc release when they just put out a new disc, did you?
Not business savvy my friend.
That type of project may need to wait for a new label, or
when The Stones are ready for retro releases.
Besides, you got everything now, right?
Couple that with the super books which are available
on the market, most have been written about on this site,
Why need an official release?
I'd take a Mickboy remaster anytime.
November 8th, 2005 11:31 AM
Jair
quote:

# Fancy Man Blues
# Tumbling Dice (live)
# Wild Horses
# Beast Of Burden (live)
# Anyway You Look At It
# Wish I'd Never Met You
# Live With Me (live)
# Let It Rock (live)
# Mannish Boy
# Thru and Thru (live)

I agree with you, I'm mad too!
To to not mention that "Beast of Burden" probably is the B-side of the single Going to a Go Go; I Just Wanna Make Love To You is the bonus track for the Jap edition of No Security, Miss You is on the Dont Stop single...the only decent thing, imo, is Through The Lonely Nights, since you haven't the IORR single...

WHY they are releasing all this crap, anyone has a reasonable explanation?

I'm very curious about it, because I simply dont get it what the fuck is going on!

If you're a fan, you know IT IS crap,
If you dont & listen, you will think IT IS crap.

November 8th, 2005 12:05 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Nellcote wrote:

Besides, you got everything now, right?

I dont think thats the point. Sure, any die hard will have already of gone thru the trouble to already have each of these tracks in their collection.

but this is not being released for the diehard Stones fans. Its being released to the casual music fan that will pick up what they think is a cool cd filled with Stones gems.

which is why the Stones should of only included their strongest efforts on this.

ommitting stellar "rare" tracks like So Young, Claudine, Spare Parts, Cook Cook Blues is doing the Stones an injustice because its not showing their strongest works. No one is going to be impressed with a Harlem Shuffle remix or the awful Anyway You Look At It.

like with Bigger Bang, this is a case where the cd needs better editing as to what makes the cut and what stays in the can.
November 8th, 2005 12:31 PM
Nellcote Sway, releasing a major rareties project like
Tracks would run against the marketing effort of
ABB. No marketing department the their right mind would release such a project at this time.
Even if the Stones approved of a project, the label would not let it happen.
The label & The Stones know that such a project is:
A. more than one disc
B. in this day & age would need a dvd with it.
To put one or two unreleased old tracks no one but diehards have heard of on would not work.
Then what to do, release said tracks as singles?
Again, you end up competing with yourself.
I think Gazza made a great point about two weeks ago in another thread, which I initially did not agree with, however, have come to feel it's true.
The Stones gave Virgin crumbs to satisfy a contract.
They are saving the cake for whomever gets the new contract.

In addition, possiblly it's a control thing on the part of the Stones, as the last attempt at a rareties set went bust, for the most part, although there were some cuts which were good, as the Stones did not have complete control over the project.
Klein released Metamorphis in '75, just to run interference to The Stones release for the TOTA, Made In The Shade.
Metamorphis was not even the rareties box The Stones put together, as the most of the tracks Wyman submitted were not used.
Why?
Because the tracks on the disc were made up of many covers, so Klein would not get the royalties, other artists would.
Klein & The Stones had just several years earlier split over Klein's well documented fleecing of the Stones.

If I'm not making sense with any of this, go study the releases which have been done sense Johnny Cash has died.
It is an eye-opener.
I hope it does not take one of the modern day Stones to pass to see some of this material to the light of day..

Summary: Timing=money. Jagger did not attend London School of Economics for nothing.
November 8th, 2005 12:33 PM
sirmoonie What is the "NY Mix" of Harlem Shuffle?
November 8th, 2005 12:39 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Sway, releasing a major rareties project like
Tracks would run against the marketing effort of
ABB. No marketing department the their right mind would release such a project at this time.

I never said they should release a Tracks type box set.

just make what they release a quality release. A one sided album rarity is fine. Just put the best available tracks on it and leave the cheese off it.

they've got plenty of ammo in the tank to make this a quality release and still have great stuff in reserve to entice a new label with
November 8th, 2005 12:41 PM
Saint Sway and heres a question...

how is Mannish Boy a rarity?

when the same version on "Rarities" is also available on "Love You Live" AND "Sucking In The 70s"
November 8th, 2005 12:42 PM
erikjjf
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
What is the "NY Mix" of Harlem Shuffle?

It's from the Harlem Shuffle 12" single.
November 8th, 2005 02:07 PM
Nellcote Sway, you are missing my point.
Look closer at these tracks.
From an official release standpoint, these are
indeed rare tracks, as the only previous release of these has been b sides of 45's.
Let It Rock has not been out since '71, and then only on an ep.
Through The Lonely Nights-'74, b side.
It is what it is titled, rare, not unreleased
Expecting anything else is setting one up for dissapointment.
It has never been promoted as a "unreleased tracks"
project, which we as rabid fans want.
It would be missing the point completely to include
one track, as rabid fans would look at that track as not being the track to release.
To rabid fans, it's not a worthy project, and are longing for more.
I got my 1st bootleg in '71, I'm going on 34 years of waiting...
You cite Claudine, then which version to release?
I know of at least three, and if all three were not there, people would be stoked.
What about the different Dance tracks?
I have six versions, omiting any of them is a crime.
And, when a unreleased box comes out, rabid fans will complain there's not enough of this or that.
Couple this with Jagger's distaste for the past, it seems it will be a cold day in hell before we are to have any unreleased tracks.
Look at the history, when Virgin took the contract, re-released all of the 70's/80's, we got several seconds of "Slave" longer than the vinyl release.
I'd not look for anything soon.
And, they do not owe a fan anything.
They are legends, face it, legends occur.
November 8th, 2005 02:15 PM
Gazza
quote:
Lethargy wrote:
I know this is probably old news, but I finally got around to reading the tracklist for the forthcoming Rarities CD. I had assumed this would be GREAT, b/c we all know how many unreleased gems and b-sides there are, even from Voodoo alone!

Instead, I can't believe how lame this is. Look at the song list. Where's Cook Cook Blues? Where's Sure The One You Need? Jump On Top Of Me? Where's everything else? Why put Dance Pt 2 on here instead, which is already available? Also, I don't think a remix counts as a rarity, especially if it's Harlem Shuffle.

Another screw job on the fans. And oh yeah, it's sold through Starbucks, another humiliation for band and fans.

Thanks for tolerating my rant.

# Fancy Man Blues
# Tumbling Dice (live)
# Wild Horses
# Beast Of Burden (live)
# Anyway You Look At It
# Wish I'd Never Met You
# Live With Me (live)
# Let It Rock (live)
# Mannish Boy
# Thru and Thru (live)

Agree with most of what you say, although I;m bewildered as to why you'd expect to hear "Sure the one you need", a song that the Stones never recorded but played live twice

Its not meant to be a collection of unreleased material so I wouldnt expect ANYTHING unreleased on it - the only unreleased song is the last one (its from the MSG PPV show on 18.1.03, apparently), although having said that, a "Live Licks" outtake that we already have on Four Flicks is hardly something to get excited about.

The annoying thing about it is the release of several songs (3 at least - maybe more) that are easily available on official albums (in most cases, on recently reissued live or compilation albums - surely no coincidence. Obviously a bargaining tool by Virgin). In some cases, theres different information about what version is being used (one would expect the version of 'live with me' to be the 1995 b-side, but I've been also told its the version thats on "No Security" instead!)

I cant see the fuss about Starbucks to be honest. Its not an exclusive deal or anything. The album is available in regular music stores too.

And releasing dance mixes is shit. Stones fans, almost without exception, hate these musical abortions which usually bear little or no relation to the song we originally liked. Theres still plenty of non-album tracks that were worthy of inclusion

And its the fuckin' Dr Dre mix of Miss You instead of the original 12 inch single extended version, which is a decision that borders on criminal
November 8th, 2005 02:31 PM
glencar It's the NY Mix; it's gotta be good!
November 8th, 2005 02:36 PM
patioaintdry I agree with the observation that this is to meet(and finish) a contract obligation.

I'm also grateful that the 12" Miss You appeared on the Don't Stop single, so its more readily available besides vinyl or Collectabiles.

Despite the abomination of a 'Dre Miss You' or trying to call Mannish Boy a rarity, what truly offends is the inclucsion of Anyway You Look at It. This is, in my opinion, the WORST song ever released by the Rolling Stones, possibly the worst ever recorded. It makes Back to Zero sound genius.
November 8th, 2005 02:59 PM
Child of the Moon Four words: Through the Lonely Nights.

The ONE officially released Stones song that I've never heard before.

I'm buyin' it. And I get my Starbucks employee discount on it, too.
November 8th, 2005 03:21 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Child of the Moon wrote:
Four words: Through the Lonely Nights.

The only thing truly disturbing is that you cannot order a large cup of coffee there...it has a strange name a Venti cafe ????
November 8th, 2005 06:11 PM
Some Guy
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

The only thing truly disturbing is that you cannot order a large cup of coffee there...it has a strange name a Venti cafe ????

Yo, Pug Life
Go Grande!
November 8th, 2005 06:31 PM
Gazza
quote:
patioaintdry wrote:
Despite the abomination of a 'Dre Miss You' or trying to call Mannish Boy a rarity, what truly offends is the inclucsion of Anyway You Look at It. This is, in my opinion, the WORST song ever released by the Rolling Stones, possibly the worst ever recorded. It makes Back to Zero sound genius.

It is indeed an atrocity of the highest order

The scary thing is that as it was a non-album B-side ("Saint of me") which came out 4 months after BTB, for some years it was actually the Stones' most recent record.

If one of them had died in the early part of this decade and the band had folded, the thought of that song being potentially the last 'new' recording released during their career almost gave me sleepless nights.

Otis Redding's 'Dock of the bay', The Doors 'LA Woman', Johnny Cash's "Hurt".....and the Stones' "Anyway you look at it'

A potentially frightening epitaph.

November 8th, 2005 06:44 PM
Soldatti
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
What is the "NY Mix" of Harlem Shuffle?

Maybe a whole gang of amateur rappers adding "vocals" including Jay B, Tony Yayo and 15 Cents.
November 8th, 2005 07:35 PM
glencar
quote:
Gazza wrote:

It is indeed an atrocity of the highest order

The scary thing is that as it was a non-album B-side ("Saint of me") which came out 4 months after BTB, for some years it was actually the Stones' most recent record.

If one of them had died in the early part of this decade and the band had folded, the thought of that song being potentially the last 'new' recording released during their career almost gave me sleepless nights.

Otis Redding's 'Dock of the bay', The Doors 'LA Woman', Johnny Cash's "Hurt".....and the Stones' "Anyway you look at it'

A potentially frightening epitaph.

Horrible when you think about it...
November 8th, 2005 07:52 PM
Gazza makes you REALLY thankful now for those 4 new songs on Forty Licks, now you think about it, eh?
November 8th, 2005 09:01 PM
corgi37 As a submarine captain would say "down, down, down".

As in, download. Fuck, i wont even bother. And, i prefer the London re-mix of Harlem Shuffle.
November 8th, 2005 09:41 PM
voodoopug
quote:
glencar wrote:

Horrible when you think about it...

also add the words: "Sadly" and "Humiliating"
November 9th, 2005 02:18 AM
marko And the MOST important b-side is forgotten.
I THINK I`M GOING MAD!!!!!! a classic b-side.
November 9th, 2005 02:22 AM
padre Just listened to Static in the Attic yesterday. There was a great long version Of Think I'm Going Mad. Does Mick really sing "you should see my shaved ass" in the end or did I hear terribly wrong?
November 9th, 2005 03:16 AM
Child of the Moon
quote:
padre wrote:
Just listened to Static in the Attic yesterday. There was a great long version Of Think I'm Going Mad. Does Mick really sing "you should see my shaved ass" in the end or did I hear terribly wrong?

I've always heard "shaking hands"...
November 9th, 2005 05:39 AM
Gazza
quote:
marko wrote:
And the MOST important b-side is forgotten.

apparently they lost the master. Thats why!
November 9th, 2005 05:44 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
marko wrote:
And the MOST important b-side is forgotten.

see also:

yellow cab driver
no spare parts
whats the matter
you should have seen her ass...
November 9th, 2005 06:28 AM
erikjjf
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
see also:

yellow cab driver
no spare parts
whats the matter
you should have seen her ass...

As Gazza mentioned earlier, this is not meant to be a collection of unreleased material. Even though it would be great to have those songs officially released, I doubt they will ever see the light of day.
November 9th, 2005 06:41 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
erikjjf wrote:

As Gazza mentioned earlier, this is not meant to be a collection of unreleased material. Even though it would be great to have those songs officially released, I doubt they will ever see the light of day.

Agree with you Erik.
They will probably relase ten or twenty new "best of" before !!
[Edited by Jumacfly]
November 9th, 2005 07:06 AM
Jair
quote:
Child of the Moon wrote:
Four words: Through the Lonely Nights.

Wow! You're missing a great song. Its fantastic, imo.
follow the lyrics bellow.
Also, If you can't wait until the official release, let me know and I will send asap an mp3 file.

Last month I bought the vinyl single at
mercadolivre.com.br, a Brasilian site of auctions...

Through The Lonely Nights

Through the lonely nights I think of you
Through the lonely hours
I dream of you
I don't no why I do it, but I do
Why do you take it, what's wrong with you?
Ev'ry time I see ya
Ev'ry time I see ya
Ev'ry time I see ya
Ev'ry time I see you

With the lonely weekeend I'm far from you
Why you're coming on, like you're supposed to do?
Oh, but you know me so well,
And your time ain't so hard to sell.

In your cherry dresses and your shiny shoes
In a doorway on some neon walk
Making the lonely pay for me
Why don't we set eachother free.

When did I mislead ya
When did I mistreat ya
When did I mistreat ya
When did I deceive ya

Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)