ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006
¡ Gracias Stoneslib!
With Willis and Depp!
© 2005 Getty Images with thanks to Gypsy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Mike Love suing Wilson over "Smile" album Return to archive
November 5th, 2005 07:27 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Mike Love Is Suing His Cousin and Former Beach Boys Bandmate Brian Wilson Over 'Smile' Album
By TIM MOLLOY Associated Press Writer

LOS ANGELES Nov 4, 2005 — Mike Love is suing his cousin and former Beach Boys bandmate Brian Wilson, but Love's lawyer hopes the lawsuit won't mar their good vibrations.

Love filed the lawsuit in federal court Thursday accusing Wilson of promoting his 2004 album, "Smile," in a manner that "shamelessly misappropriated Mike Love's songs, likeness and the Beach Boys trademark, as well as the `Smile' album itself."

Love's lawyer says it's nothing personal.

"Mike has a lot of affection for Brian and they have a good relationship and cordial relations," said Phil Stillman, who has represented Love since 1992. "There's obviously some problem with the way Brian's (associates) have promoted the albums."

Stillman added: "They remain family and the co-founders of a very important band in rock 'n' roll history."

The Beach Boys never completed "Smile," and it was regarded as a lost classic until Wilson opted to finish it himself. The album earned international acclaim and marked a dramatic return for the 63-year-old singer-songwriter, who had kept a low profile for years.

Love objected to a promotion in which 2.6 million copies of a Beach Boys compilation CD were given away to readers of Britain's The Daily Mail on Sunday newspaper. The lawsuit said the giveaway undercut the band's sales.

The lawsuit seeks damages, including "millions of dollars in illicit profits," and seeks at least $1 million for international advertising "to correct the effects of … unfair competition and infringing uses."

A lawyer for Wilson didn't return a call from The Associated Press for comment.

Love formed the group in Hawthorne in 1961 with Wilson, Wilson's brothers Carl and Dennis, and Wilson's friend Al Jardine. They went on to record hits such as "Good Vibrations," "Wouldn't It Be Nice" and "California Girls."

Wilson's brothers have died, and he split acrimoniously with Love and Jardine years ago. In an interview earlier this year with the AP, he refused to discuss them in the present tense, but talked about their early years with apparent fondness. His new album is "What I Really Want for Christmas." Love has the exclusive legal right to tour under the Beach Boys name.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
November 5th, 2005 08:37 AM
Moonisup love is a moron
November 5th, 2005 11:06 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
love is a moron

No more Mr. Nice Guy, I guess.
November 5th, 2005 11:34 AM
Highwire Rob Mike who?
November 5th, 2005 12:26 PM
Moonisup pretty sad that he owns the rights to the name: the beach boys!
Crazy family
November 5th, 2005 12:35 PM
glencar It all started with Murray Wilson. This is a literal tempest in a teapot. Next Herman's Hermits will be suing the pants off each other.
November 5th, 2005 01:24 PM
time is on my side Mike Love is a shithead whose only two concerns in life is how many wives can he have in one lifetime (he's going after Ike Turner's 14) and how much money he can ripoff using the Beach Boys name & Brian Wilson.

For someone who was only a mouthpiece for the band and wrote the occasional lyric (even that part is disputed), he continues to harrass and intimidate anyone who dares to play songs that he had absolutely nothing to do with (Pet Sounds and Smile) because he senses their might be a payday in it for him. He's hired a team of high powered lawyers (equally eager for an easy payday) to insure he maintains total control of anything doing with the Beach Boy name and that injustice is perpetually inflicted on anyone who happens to have a last name of Wilson.

What an asshole!!!

[Edited by time is on my side]
November 5th, 2005 01:45 PM
glencar Ike Turner's had 14 wives?
November 5th, 2005 02:04 PM
time is on my side
quote:
glencar wrote:
Ike Turner's had 14 wives?

This from a recent article:

Ike Turner: On sex, drugs and rock'n'roll
In his 73 years, Ike Turner has made a fortune, gambled it away, been addicted to drugs, spent a spell behind bars, and still found time to fit in 14 marriages. And, as he tells Guy Adams, he's not finished yet

Say what you like about Ike Turner, the old boy's got no shortage of skeletons in his closet. In 54 years rocking and rolling, he's pretty much done the lot: the drug abuse, the spell in prison, the car crashes and the temper tantrums. He's gambled away fortunes, sung to royalty, and clocked up 14 wives. Put him down as a survivor.

Most famously of all, Ike's also "done" a turbulent 20-year relationship with his former wife and singing partner, Tina Turner. Their abusive marriage was immortalised in the 1993 film What's Love Got to Do With It? and still hovers over his character like a dark cloud. To this day, Ike's name remains a virtual byword for domestic violence.

November 5th, 2005 02:29 PM
Ten Thousand Motels http://winwithlovein2004.tripod.com/

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
November 5th, 2005 04:03 PM
kath mike love should be basted and slow roasted...
November 5th, 2005 04:41 PM
Ronnie Richards
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
love is a moron

love is moronic
November 5th, 2005 05:49 PM
Gazza Mike Love should devote more time to suing his hairdresser than Brian Wilson

Dickwad
November 6th, 2005 02:20 PM
purrcafe This from the guy whose actions towards the original Smile recordings gave Brian a big push towards his breakdown. Creep.
November 7th, 2005 11:30 AM
Lethargy Mike Love is one of the most despicable humans ever born. He has sued someone named Wilson every other year for decades, and is now touring in a Wilson-less Beach Boys cover band, which I can't believe anyone would pay money to see. Suing Brian after his triumphant completion of Smile might be the lowest point ever, even for him.
November 7th, 2005 04:10 PM
sammy davis jr. He's a douchebag.....Funny he is suing Brian over an album he was completely against releasing when it was made. I fucking hate that asshole. I rode on a plane with him once....he looked at everyone with this "how dare you fucking look at me" attitude. Do us a all a favor- and have a fucking heart attack you creepy Maharashi brainwashed, skipper cap wearing asshole.
November 7th, 2005 05:06 PM
doo doo doo Dude
Don't fuck with this man!
November 8th, 2005 04:17 PM
Joey
quote:
kath wrote:
mike love should be basted and slow roasted...

Time for a Joey Original :

I would like to baste Mike Love in milk for 48 hours, hog-tie him and let hungry baby lambs skeletonize his quivering, quaking carcass.

I Thank You !!!!

Thank You Very Much !!!!

Joey Carson

|
|
|
V

November 8th, 2005 11:12 PM
Child of the Moon I'll forever have this image in my head of Mike Love "singing" Beach Boys hits and pointing his finger when he does it. "I'm pickin' up (point) good (point) vi (point) bra (point) tions..."
November 9th, 2005 01:51 AM
Zack
quote:
Child of the Moon wrote:
I'll forever have this image in my head of Mike Love "singing" Beach Boys hits and pointing his finger when he does it. "I'm pickin' up (point) good (point) vi (point) bra (point) tions..."

He was the originator of the chicken dance too.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)