ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Sportpaleis Ahoy, Rotterdam - October 1973
Thanks Irina! and Sergey!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Lets Spend the Night Together DVD Return to archive
11-06-03 06:48 PM
kahoosier I pulled this out the other night for the first time in a long time. I know the film has been savaged and with some good reason. Who ever mixed the sound must have had his head in a cement mixer or something and I am surprised this ever got out past the Stones. But I was hit with some realities. As much as we complain, I really have to say the 40 Licks Tour presented a much better show musically. Now maybe it was not what some wanted, it was not five guys and raw rock and roll, but all in all, the music actually stood on its own without the spectacle.

In fact, the performances of Jagger today definitely outclassed the rushed breathy shouting of the 81 tour, and while he seemed a bit more energetic (or perhaps coked out LOL) he aslo seemed to be , IMO, more of a parody back then. So what we have is a more mature group of musicians.

All that said, one thing that this DVD brings across that was sadly lacking from the Licks tour, was the feeling of being at an EVENT, and I intended those caps! Look at the guys standing up against the crowd shouts. What an awesome spectacle. No big screens and a rather plain stage set up, and yet all eyes are bound to the stage. This DVD brought home for me the excitement of going to see the Stones back then. Of course, maybe it is my own loss of youth that breeds the true nostalgia for the older tours. Certainly today, though I see more shows, I fit each one into its day, and do not take a whole day to party and prepare for the show.